Help Installing FM08 on vista?

Hey forumers :)

Just in need of some help on how to install Football Manager 2008 on Windows Vista laptop. I once had it installed on this laptop, but then all of a sudden one day it came up with a message that it couldn't find the data folder. So i tried to play it on the laptop again the other day ( Since my Desktop seems to have kicked the bucket ) and it said the same message. Today i am trying to re-install it, but Vista is just having none of it.

It won't autorun itself, so i go into it and try to autorun it, the machine makes a noise as if it is reading the disk, etc, but it actually... just does nothing...

Please help, really want a good game of FM08 before FM09 :)

Cheers.

I had this problem too.

check in the games menu, (where solitaire and the like are kept), but if that doesn't work then do a search on posts by me with the word "vista" in it in this forum and you will see the advice that I was given when I experienced the same thing.

Thanks for the reply's guys, i'll have a look at that thread mate. And it has been reported that there is compatability problems with Vista since its soo..emm.. Not game friendly.

I can click autorun etc, and it sounds like it is working, but nothing appears. It's odd. And other disks do work in this drive.

Sorry for the triple post here btw...

But i have a found the shortcut it was called 'fm' it was in Sports Interactive folder in Program files. But when i moved it to the desktop and tried to play it, 2 dialog boxes came up with "Unable to find data folder" and another saying "Could not find default database to use. Please make sure your installation is not corrupt"

Any ideas? Really want to play this but Vista is so complicated and annoying :(

Guys, just because there are compatability issues doesn't mean that they will surfaced on each and every occasion. It's great that it hasn't happened to you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Sorry.

I think what I had to do was, (Im really racking my brains now), was do a search for the FM file, then click on one of them, (can't remember is it was autorun or setup or whatever it was called). Then it still wouldn't work and I was a bit lost fo a while, but then after getting some advice in here (or OTF), then I looked again in the "games" folder, (the one with Hearts and Minesweeper and the like), and lo and behold FM was there. Since then I have always started FM by clicking on that.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I really can't remember now.

I know I was really frustrated at the time though. I think I may have stumbled across the solution by accident rather than thinking and working it through.

Good luck.

Sorry for the triple post here btw...

But i have a found the shortcut it was called 'fm' it was in Sports Interactive folder in Program files. But when i moved it to the desktop and tried to play it, 2 dialog boxes came up with "Unable to find data folder" and another saying "Could not find default database to use. Please make sure your installation is not corrupt"

Any ideas? Really want to play this but Vista is so complicated and annoying :(

You have moved the exe file, which is why it cannot find those folders.

To fix it, you need to move it back into the folder you got it from. To get a shortcut - you need to right click on the exe file and press create shortcut. You can then move that anywhere you want and it should work.

Guys, just because there are compatability issues doesn't mean that they will surfaced on each and every occasion. It's great that it hasn't happened to you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Sorry.

In fairness, your post made it sound like Vista doesn't autorun 08 - fullstop - which is why I responded saying it does run it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think what I had to do was, (Im really racking my brains now), was do a search for the FM file, then click on one of them, (can't remember is it was autorun or setup or whatever it was called). Then it still wouldn't work and I was a bit lost fo a while, but then after getting some advice in here (or OTF), then I looked again in the "games" folder, (the one with Hearts and Minesweeper and the like), and lo and behold FM was there. Since then I have always started FM by clicking on that.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I really can't remember now.

I know I was really frustrated at the time though. I think I may have stumbled across the solution by accident rather than thinking and working it through.

Good luck.

Thats where my FM 08 is. In with Minesweeper in my games folder(dunno why like). I'm using windows vista ultimate by the way.

Archived