Greatest idea ever....well not really.

Didn't really want to sart a new thread for this but here we go, ready for it....

Injuries in warm ups.

When you go to your team screen just before kick off your assistant reports that whoever has been injured in the warm up and you have to change.

You see, this would probably be a nice touch (it would not be a bad addition, I suppose) but I've posted this to try to highlight the sort of ideas that are coming out recently. This type of thing now seems to be classed as a feature. Rather then trying to help with the fundimentals of the game, come up with evolutionary ideas, their seems to be too much of this.

Didn't really want to sart a new thread for this but here we go, ready for it....

Injuries in warm ups.

When you go to your team screen just before kick off your assistant reports that whoever has been injured in the warm up and you have to change.

You see, this would probably be a nice touch (it would not be a bad addition, I suppose) but I've posted this to try to highlight the sort of ideas that are coming out recently. This type of thing now seems to be classed as a feature. Rather then trying to help with the fundimentals of the game, come up with evolutionary ideas, their seems to be too much of this.

All the little things add up, though. ;)

Yeh, be a nice little touch, i'd like to see a few more maybe "Why did i come off, or problems with the player on the training field, or fitting in"...things like that, maybe more often as a manager does..i mean you get the "he wants to play 1st time football" after about 25 games, but there is so much more than that happening in real life, maybe another one would be Setting up a Dinner, or Team session..or Maybe asking the Captain on his input in the team..or maybe asking the captain to assamble a meal..then Team morale might go up, or it might not have much of an effect..

And maybe in personal feelings about the players, it might just have on a couple " felt he bonded well ".."felt left out "..etc..

It would certainly add more realism. But I can see the forums :

AI CHEATS..!! My star striker got injured in the warm up, is not out for 6 months and I lost 5-0 :mad:

In all honesty, would be a good feature, but not worth the hassle :D

6 months during a warm up, what a star stiker that is :p

Is realistic, but how many times does this happen in real life?

I'd be disappointed if SI decided not implement a good, realistic idea like this because of the histrionics of a few people on the boards, though.

Thats it. It might be a small thing but it adds realism to the overall game. They'd need to try to implement it so it doesnt happen a lot though.

i think this is a great idea.... it makes a managers job that tiny bit harder, whilst adding a sense of realism! i mean, look at football today! quite a few star players get injured prior to games (Deco for Chelsea is just one!) and as a result, SI should seriously look into adding this in future games!!

Maybe the ability for a player to aggravate an injury before a match, or feeling quite good before the match. I mean Before match day we all pretty much know what our lineup is going to be, would be a nice touch if match day arrives and "Barry is feeling quite well on his right ankle" or "Expected to start, Barry aggravated his right ankle and may still start but would be advised to relegate him to the bench".

Injuries are a huge part of football and their a little too black and white currently with only a bit of gray area.

SI would have to implement a warm-up system first with manager instructions no doubt.

Yeah, I suppose they would. And what a good idea it is! Although, what would instructions would you actually give in a warm-up?

SI would have to implement a warm-up system first with manager instructions no doubt.

Not really, perhaps more like a random number generator before the match. If a certain number comes up, then a player is injured, and the player is then determined using more randomness.

Yeh' date=' be a nice little touch, i'd like to see a few more maybe "Why did i come off, or problems with the player on the training field, or fitting in"... or Team session..or Maybe asking the Captain on his input in the team..

[/quote']

All those are in the game.

"Why did I come off?" is something like "disappointed to be subbed".

"problems on training field"... players don't show up, and players have arguments.

"fitting in"... there's homesickness, and there's the effect on team blending that means that the whole team suffers.

Team session/asking captain happens where you'r underperforming. Player interaction, then "call team meeting".

Not really, perhaps more like a random number generator before the match. If a certain number comes up, then a player is injured, and the player is then determined using more randomness.

All those are in the game.

"Why did I come off?" is something like "disappointed to be subbed".

"problems on training field"... players don't show up, and players have arguments.

"fitting in"... there's homesickness, and there's the effect on team blending that means that the whole team suffers.

Team session/asking captain happens where you'r underperforming. Player interaction, then "call team meeting".

Its not as fully developed as it could be though... a lot of it isn't intuitive like it should be.

Bojinov got injured in the warm up for Man City, after just returning from injury! they reckon he will be out for most of the season.

that said it is a terrible idea. it is rare for a player to break down in the warm up so it would be an unneccessary addition, where other improvements could be made.

We'd have to have a warm down too of course...which might involve you making sure your players don't get into punchups with the opposition ground staff.

It would be very difficult to get warm-up injuries implemented at a decent level that doesn't make them either totally irrelevant or spoil the game completely.

I'm sure players pick up 'knocks' all the time in warm ups. definitely in lower league where the professionalism isn't the same....

maybe take the fitness coaching/physio into account, if they are terrible an increase in injuries due to poor warm-ups?

i don't think it is that rare to be perfectly honest IRL, players pick up little niggles all the time in training. And so what if your 'star' striker gets injured before the game, it makes it more realistic and more challenging. Real managers don't moan about injuries because they are a huge part of football and indeed any sport. FM is too easy anyway, injuries make it more challenging and mean you have to compensate with bigger squads and try to keep fringe players happy.

I wuold like to see more things such as being able to release a press statement suggesting a player is very doubtful for the weekends game and by the time Saturday comes there he is in the starting line-up! IRL we are always being told that So-and-so will be on the bench or out injured then they make a miraculous recovery, especially in the build up to big games!

not a bad idea - i was thinking that instead of submiting your squad on the day (just the starting line up and subs) two days before the match u had to name a squad of 20 that were avaliable for the 1st team especially on away matches then those who missed out would automatically b involved with the reserves without even having to click on a player and making the "avaliable for the reserves" link

IRL just Andrej Voronin broke his nose slipping at the airport :D

Or remember Canizares severe injury to to a tea pot falling on his foot.

Injuries in warm-ups are not unrealistic and happen frequently. Would be another nice touch which at the same time wasn't really missed so far. :)

i don't think it is that rare to be perfectly honest IRL, players pick up little niggles all the time in training. And so what if your 'star' striker gets injured before the game, it makes it more realistic and more challenging. Real managers don't moan about injuries because they are a huge part of football and indeed any sport. FM is too easy anyway, injuries make it more challenging and mean you have to compensate with bigger squads and try to keep fringe players happy.

I'm not saying take away injuries altogether, I just don't see the point in adding injuries in warm ups. It would be alot of work for a feature which IMO wouldn't add much if anything to the game.

Well actually it happened twice in one weekend in the Premiership only within the last two to three weeks. I recall Deco getting injured in the warm up for Chelsea and then another player as well (can't remember his name though)

It is still pretty rare though.

truegaffers idea,

*Quote*

'i was thinking that instead of submiting your squad on the day (just the starting line up and subs) two days before the match u had to name a squad of 20 that were avaliable for the 1st team especially on away matches then those who missed out would automatically b involved with the reserves without even having to click on a player and making the "avaliable for the reserves" link'

*Unquote*

is a great one. i would love some of the players who wont be in my match squad to get games in the reserves automatically. plus it would open the door to more press questions in the future, like 'why have you left XXX out of the squad?'

good work!

Like I said at the top, I'm more for tweaking the main parts of the game however for those who say this is pointless, I don't understand. It happens in real life, not all the time but it does happen. Thats all that matters really.

It's pointless (IMO) because (IMO) it doesn't add anything to the game.

Just because it happens IRL, does not mean it should be included regardless.

If that is the basis of your arguement, why not remove the highlights ability so you have to watch a full match every game? It's more realistic, afterall.

If that is the basis of your arguement, why not remove the highlights ability so you have to watch a full match every game? It's more realistic, afterall.

Are you scared one of your Keepers (should i say only Keeper) will get injured :p

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly pedantic, Neji. Whilst I understand where you are coming from, i think that anything that adds to the realism of the game is a good thing and should be included.

Could be a nice addition, which could go hand-in-hand with a selected squad, say having to pick 3 'reserves' for the match day squad incase a warm up injury happened. This may get a little time consuming, even for me, but would add to the realism, perhaps not the fun however.

Slightly pedantic, Neji. Whilst I understand where you are coming from, i think that anything that adds to the realism of the game is a good thing and should be included.

We will have to agree to disagree. At the end of the day, FM is a game and if it isn't fun then people won't play it - no matter how realistic it is.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the realism of FM but I wouldn't play it if I wasn't having fun with it. :)

Good idea. But it can only happen to players who are slightly injured or not 100%.

Imagine player x who has recurrent injuries (ledley king, owen, bojinov) and just comes back.

You have a big game and you need your best players so you try and push him to fitness. The day comes and he's 92%, so you call him. In fm2008 you would put him on and pray to God he would do good. With this, you could find out if he's really fit or not - a sort of last minute test.

Besides, with this small addition, you could open many new doors.

As truegaffer said, you could name your squad of players a few days earlier, with possible consequences on the press - why in-form player x is out, why recently injured player y is in, etc..

Then, on the day of the game, you would choose your 18 for the game (16 from the Championship downwards) with starting 11. Click ok, warm-up, and a second team screen would appear for you to confirm if this was the team you wanted. The assistant could say "all went well" or "player x has to come out due to aggravation of injury" or whatever, and you could choose a substitute for him, possibly changing tactics in the meanwhile.

Mind you, these injuries don't happen that often and when they do, very rarely is the player out for more than 2 weeks.

Cheers

You're right Gills_fan, and not only Owen... Look at Bojinov.

In these cases, the bigger the probability for them to get injured, the worst the injuries.

A player who has no recurrent problems who gets a warm-up injury usually gets 2 weeks out. 3 tops. And these are players who already have a knock, altough the fans sometimes don't see it.

But mind you, the percentage of injuries in the warm-up would be minimal, let's say bellow 5% of all injuries, and a bad one would be very hard to come by. The probabilities would rise as opposed to how fit the player is. If owen just came out of an injury and is at 75%, he might be able to play, but would you honestly say you would put him in the team?

This a reflex of real life - a gaffer who thinks that a player won't be able to do a warm-up, will not put him in.

It is a concern that it could appear game in game out KingLara, I agree.

We all know that new ideas in fm usually have a first year of optimization and only get well implemented the following year (love you SI guys, just joking!!!!)

In this case, I don't see it as a big problem as that. If it's coded to happen only to players with a knock or out of form - yellow warning or not playing for the last 3,4,5 mounths, just come out of a bad injury, etc. - it's basicaly the managers option to put them in or not. If them don't, they won't get injured. If they do, there's that % it can happen, wich increases as the player form decreases.

Confusing I know. Hope I made myself clear...

I'm not saying take away injuries altogether, I just don't see the point in adding injuries in warm ups. It would be alot of work for a feature which IMO wouldn't add much if anything to the game.

For some reason, I really like the idea. I can't even come up with a proper argument as to why I would like to see it other than... I just like it. The idea of a player pulling up injured in the warm up, and the subsequent re-jigging of tactics and personnel seems to appeal to me. I wish I could form a coherent argument on this matter, though. But I can't.

One thing I would definitely like added is pre-match fitness tests. We always hear in real life about players passing or failing fitness tests. Wouldn't it be quite cool to have them in the game? I assume you'd get the results of any fitness tests in the form of a report from your physio.

Archived