FM 08 freezes while processing. Why?

Hoping that someone here has seen this freeze and conquered it.

Playing FM 08 version 8.0.0.

Total Game Time 72 Days, 15hrs, 32 Minutes

Game Date March 14th 2030

The game loads fine and I can play through a few events, but at a particular point (same point every time), when I press the space bar and the "Processing" screen comes up, the game freezes. The progress bar doesn't, well, progress. The news and tips that scroll during processing don't scroll. I'm pretty sure it's a freeze because I left the machine alone for 6 or 7hrs and returned to find that nothing had changed.

I'm not running any new application in the background. And I don't think computer specs are the problem since I've gone through 72 days of game time without this problem. Before the freeze, as the game stands idle, fm.exe uses 425MB of memory and 0% of CPU.

I press the space bar to continue, and at first there is some activity. The progress bar looks full for about 1/2 second then returns on empty, the game screen goes to the Manager overview screen (it was on game status before), and the processing window displays the first news item.

During the freeze, fm.exe uses exactly 425,140Kb of RAM, and this number doesn't vary at all (more evidence of a freeze?). The process also uses 50% of CPU with another 48% being idle (no other intensive app running).

One very strange thing about this "freeze" is that when I drag another window over the FM08 window, the FM window seems to have no problem redrawing itself. Typically when a program is frozen, dragging another window over it will "erase" the program window

My System Specs:

2gb Ram, 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 T7400, NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS with 256MB of video memory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Rygaar

PS. I've just realized that I may have posted in the wrong area. If so, I apologize and will repost in the "Support for PC Users" section

just leave it to process for a while.. it could be that the game had a large amount of info to process on that particular date. i had a similar problem in 2020 with my game, left it for ten minutes or so, and its been fine since. if this doesnt work, id suggest posting in the "bugs" forum...

just leave it to process for a while.. it could be that the game had a large amount of info to process on that particular date. i had a similar problem in 2020 with my game, left it for ten minutes or so, and its been fine since. if this doesnt work, id suggest posting in the "bugs" forum...

Thanks Rinso. I pointed out somewhere in my rambling though that I left the game processing for 6 or 7hrs and came back to find that nothing had changed.

I've also tried deleting the game cache to no effect.

Thank you for the advice Jamweesel. I think I gave the wrong impression. I actually press the space bar only once when the program is idle, and not while it is processing. I admit that I've tried clicking on it while it's frozen as I got impatient.

I think that since I let FM stand for over 6hrs without interruption and nothing changed, something is actually wrong and it isn't just processing. I haven't heard of anyone seeing processing that lasts for hours. Has anyone?

Thanks again for coming to my help

Thanks Rinso. I pointed out somewhere in my rambling though that I left the game processing for 6 or 7hrs and came back to find that nothing had changed.

I've also tried deleting the game cache to no effect.

oops i missed that bit, apologies!! rather hungover this morning... thats my excuse and im sticking to it!!

i assume youve tried holidaying past this date?

This is rather similar to a problem I have when running all of the leagues in England.

Have you noted if it freezes on anything specific? For example, with me, it freezes when it's processing U18 resutls.

It freezes when the game reaches a very specific point. While it is processing through a March 14th 2030 date. I don't think it's processing results. The last screen before the freeze is the results of European matches. I don't know exactly what it's doing. when the freeze occurs

Ok, I tried to Holiday past the date, and it's processing. don't know whether it is frozen. An encouraging development is that the news window that shows during processing has reached March 15th 2030, a date I hadn't yet seen. The downside is that (so far at least), the processing bar is not progressing...

no worries. dont have the game running whilst you apply the patch though, or it wont work...

Ok. think it's safe to say that it's frozen. Processing bar is still empty. been what? 10 minutes. I'll kill the app and run the patch. Keep you appraised.

Try either of these in order

1.Try holidaying past that date

2.Restart your computer.I would say,turn the PC Off for sometime(3-4 hours)and then put it on

3.If none works,see if a patch does work or not

Edit-100th post

Congrats on 100th Post.

Jamweesel, Rinso, I owe you guys.

I had come to the conclusion that my saved game was a corrupted file, and that I would have to resign myself to loosing the 72 days of game time invested in it (as if that time wasn't already irrevocably lost), and start over. I should have started by looking for patches.

My game date is now March 16 2030, and never has a date looked so beautiful.

Thanks a million from a sleepless Yankee.

Rygaar

Carl87, Wee Aja. Thanks for your contribution as well

Jamweesel, Rinso, I owe you guys.

I had come to the conclusion that my saved game was a corrupted file, and that I would have to resign myself to loosing the 72 days of game time invested in it (as if that time wasn't already irrevocably lost), and start over. I should have started by looking for patches.

My game date is now March 16 2030, and never has a date looked so beautiful.

Thanks a million from a sleepless Yankee.

Rygaar

Carl87, Wee Aja. Thanks for your contribution as well

no worries mate, glad ya got it fixed!! :thup:

• 2 months later...

Archived