Game going gold?

Everything that can realistically be sorted before the stated release date. The minor bugs that no doubt someone will spot on the first day will be sorted with the first patch.

so it means that its ready for release

although there are a few minor bugs in it?

Am i right in thinking that any managerial changes etc between the demo release and official release of FM09 will be in FM09 ?

it was true for 08

mourinho was manager of chelsea in the demo

and grant is chelsea manager on 8.0.0 (not 100% sure, he was on 8.0.1)

I guess it will depend on when the changes occur, and possibly how well known they are. If the change occurs on November 13th, then there's obviously no chance it will be in the game. Mourinho was obviously a massively well known figure, so he would have been spotted by a lot of users. If it's the manager of a no-mark third division manager from some obscure country, then they probably won't risk any other problems arising and will leave it as is.

i know that the demo will be released when it does this, but what does it mean?

Software companies usually use the terms bronze build for an early version, silver build would be a beta version (almost there but some known bugs still to be sorted) and the gold build is the one you package up and sell.

I guess it will depend on when the changes occur, and possibly how well known they are. If the change occurs on November 13th, then there's obviously no chance it will be in the game. Mourinho was obviously a massively well known figure, so he would have been spotted by a lot of users. If it's the manager of a no-mark third division manager from some obscure country, then they probably won't risk any other problems arising and will leave it as is.

Once the game has gone gold, ANY changes will not happen until the first patch. They can't - gold means the code (and therefore the data) is locked. So the demo will have identical data to the finished game. It's how it's always worked.

Only way you'll have up-to-date data on the day of release will be if they were to release a patch for it on that day.

Going gold means when the game is finished and is sent to get produced, disks made etc etc.

It definitely also means what I thought it meant originally too, though. But it's more of a music industry term when used to measure sales.

That show's been revived! Not presented by Henry Kelly, though.

Now presented by John Suchet - and bloody awful. But that's a discussion for another thread in another forum! :)

Once the game has gone gold, ANY changes will not happen until the first patch. They can't - gold means the code (and therefore the data) is locked. So the demo will have identical data to the finished game. It's how it's always worked.

Only way you'll have up-to-date data on the day of release will be if they were to release a patch for it on that day.

Well obviously :). But there is quite often a small bit of leeway between the demo release and the game being released to manufacturing. Changes have been made in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if they could potentially be made again.

Well obviously :). But there is quite often a small bit of leeway between the demo release and the game being released to manufacturing. Changes have been made in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if they could potentially be made again.

SI Have said that the demo will be worked on after the game has gone gold and gone to manufacturing. So there's really no chance.

Ter, help me! ;)

(oh and Woodville? Hello, I'm just down the road!)

Now presented by John Suchet - and bloody awful. But that's a discussion for another thread in another forum! :)

I was up late the other night and I caught an episode of a gameshow from 2005 called "Watching The Detectives", presented by Nicholas Owen. What is it with ITV newsreaders and terrible gameshows?!

Anyway, yes, this discussion is really not for here.

SI Have said that the demo will be worked on after the game has gone gold and gone to manufacturing. So there's really no chance.

Ter, help me! ;)

(oh and Woodville? Hello, I'm just down the road!)

They always say that though, and there have been changes made before. It'll be extremely minor stuff if it is though, so I don't know why we're arguing :D

(oh and hello back)

• SI Staff

As has been said, when we say "go gold", it means that we're in production, so no changes are made after that point.

It's actually short for "making a gold master disc", as it's this gold master disc (or, in our case, these discs, as we have different versions for different regions) which is used to manufacture all of the games.

There is also gold certification, which is a sales based thing like the music industry, although I've only seen this in the UK. Those classifications are given at 100,000 (silver), 200,000 (gold) and 300,000 (platinum), with 600,000 being double platinum, etc.

As has been said, when we say "go gold", it means that we're in production, so no changes are made after that point.

It's actually short for "making a gold master disc", as it's this gold master disc (or, in our case, these discs, as we have different versions for different regions) which is used to manufacture all of the games.

There is also gold certification, which is a sales based thing like the music industry, although I've only seen this in the UK. Those classifications are given at 100,000 (silver), 200,000 (gold) and 300,000 (platinum), with 600,000 being double platinum, etc.

I read a link about this from Ter explaining the different stages of development.Can you say at what stage you're currently at? I'm guessing no but thought i would ask anyway ;)

It's 'only' 300,000 for platinum!? The walls of SI towers must be near solid platinum by now. In mid-Summer do you have to hand out sunglasses to people at the front doors?

It's 'only' 300,000 for platinum!? The walls of SI towers must be near solid platinum by now. In mid-Summer do you have to hand out sunglasses to people at the front doors?

Nah, they melted it all down a few years ago. They then used it to cast a giant statue of Martin Keown, which they affixed to the front of their giant Yacht, which they spend all day lazing around on enjoying our money!

Archived