"Best" Nationality for Manager

I'm sitting at work reading the forum, and there is something I'v been trying to figure out.

In FM08, as far as I know, the scouting knowledge is made up from the nationality of you(the manager), scouts knowledge of countries. Nationality of Assistant Manager.

Is it also made up of nationality of Physio/Coaches/Youth Coaches/etc??

Seeing as the easiest thing to influence is you, the manager, I'm thinking what nationalities you select can be important. Because some gives you knowledge of several countries, right?

So what is the two nationalities you can pick that gives you the widest knowledge?

I was thinking...

Will chosing a nationality of Algerian or Côte d'Ivoire automatically give you knowledge of France, or the other way around?

Chosing Maltese or South African, will that give you knowledge of the UK, or the other way around?

I believe if you chose Russian, you will automatically gain some knowledge of Ukraine and general Eastern Europe... Or if you chose German you'll have knowledge of Austria/Switzerland.

Does this apply if you choose Chinese, will you have knowledge of Japan?

Anyone know countries to chose to have as wide as possible knowledge?

it depends which league that you start in and what your club is, as scouting knowledge will vary. However i would have thought that being knowledgable in countries that it isn't easy to find scouts for would be good. But obviously if you are a lower league manager you might just want a more basic knowledge. As for the widest overall knowledge for countries for example the ivory coast and france i don't know.

I don't know why you assume that you get linked knowledge from certain nationalities. I'm always "English" - And only have knowledge of another nation from the start, If I'm managing in that nation from the start. (For example, If I'm managing in France, my "English" bar will be 100% and my "France" bar between 15 and 40%. (IIRC).

For scouting knowledge, its made up of You, the manager, the clubs staff, the clubs affiliates. The extra knowledge you gain from countries you have nothing to do with, is actually due to your players. If you go to your scouting knowledge screen, it will say

[Country Name] [Percentage Bar] [Manager Name] (Player Name)

Bermuda, 35%, NepentheZ (Greenbean*)

(Player is nicknamed Greenbean*)

So in my instance, that player, who is Bermudan, is where I as a manager get my Bermudan knowledge from in my profile. I have seen some managers born with knowledge of a lot of nations, but I don't actually know why, as it seems to be completely random.

Also, something I'll ask to the forumites in here. How do I attain the knowledge of my players? Do they need to be at the club for a certain amount of time? Do you have to watch them play an international match? Do I simply have to ask them to recommend me a player from their national team? I've always wondered, because if theres something I can do as a manager to get this knowledge up, I will.

All very good points, perhaps you don't get knowledge of former colonial powers etc. But if it isn't implemented now, then I think it should be for added realism. It's quite likely (in my opinion), that if you're from Malta you'd have some knowledge of the UK. If you're for Algeria, you'd have some knowledge of France.

As mentioned above, I completely forgot about affiliates and players.

I'm interested to know as well, NepentheZ, how do you draw country knowledge out of your players? Very good question raised.

Central Europe :- Spannish, French or german

Eastern Europe :- Russian, Polish or Romanian

Scandinavia :- Norwegian

Sth America :- Brazillian

Eastern Europe is the odd region as a lot of the nations from this region were once part of larger nations (ie USSR, Yugoslavia) but this also makes it the hardest to get complete knowledge of.

iirc, German nationality gets you a decent level of knowledge from other countries. i actually think swiss staff only have knowledge of their own country, and partial knowledge of Italy, although i could be wrong...

when i manage at liverpool, i try to get as many staff from different nations as possible, to benefit from their knowledge bases. the first thing i do is filter out uk & ireland... after that, its a bit of an elimination process to get through as much as i possibly can. however, in long term games, it peters out, as its impossible to find as many nationalitites as you can at athe start, probably due to the leagues i have loaded.

Does better knowledge of a country allow the scout to find better players in that country then ? (sorry if thats a really dumb question)

The more knowledge the whole club has the more players will be on the player search screen.

i choose scottish and english at the start and i get knowledge of all the uk (although not complete)

your managers nationality also effects how likely a player is to sign for you. so there are other aspects to consider while choosing your nationality.

Sorry, I meant to say "At the beginning of the game"...

some nationalities have set amounts of knowledge from other countries... if that makes any sense whatsoever??

what i mean is... if you add yourself as a German manager, you automatically get knowledge of certain other countries... poland, croatia... and a few others..

If you're Irish you get knowledge of Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Poland.

I think if someone has you as favoured personnel then you may get knowledge from them.

I remember when at Aldershot, I had full knowledge of Spain because of Rafa Benitez being my friend while he was at liverpool

it helped with scouting

I just started a game at Dinamo Kiev, Swiss first and Romanian second nationality.

I can confirm, Switzerland only gives you Swiss and Italian knowledge, nothing else.

Romanian gives you knowledge of some eastern european countries(think it might be random?)

On a seperate note, I've befriended Legia(Poland) and Orlando Pirates(South Africa) managers, but I don't appears to be given any knowledge...

To me, the best combination for a big European league is Spanish first nationality and two of either Dutch, German, or Italian for second nationality/favorite club. If you are managing in one of those last three leagues, choose the ones you are not managing in because you will get that knowledge by managing there. This will give you Spanish, Argentine, Brazilian, French, English, and Portuguese knowledge plus two of those other three.

To me, the best combination for a big European league is Spanish first nationality and two of either Dutch, German, or Italian for second nationality/favorite club. If you are managing in one of those last three leagues, choose the ones you are not managing in because you will get that knowledge by managing there. This will give you Spanish, Argentine, Brazilian, French, English, and Portuguese knowledge plus two of those other three.

I always use the wizard that has me English with second nationality Spain and Ex International. Are you suggesting I change to say, Spain with 2nd nationality German and then as usual take over as Chelsea manager to gain additional knowledge?

I always use the wizard that has me English with second nationality Spain and Ex International. Are you suggesting I change to say, Spain with 2nd nationality German and then as usual take over as Chelsea manager to gain additional knowledge?

Your setup will start you with only full English nationality and half Spanish. By choosing a nationality where you are not managing, you will get more knowledge. You can also get a bit of knowledge from setting a foreign favorite club. Here is an example of a game I started in Holland. I set my nationalities as Spanish and German, with Milan as a favorite club:

goodknowledgens7.jpg

That gives you a huge knowledge base compared to just English/Spanish. I'm not so sure that it makes that big of a difference for Chelsea, but for small clubs, you could be contributing a lot of the knowledge.

Thanks a lot for that information,

The whole manager knowledge is one of my favourite features. Just a little question though, do you gain any knowledge if you watch games that are in areas that you have no knowledge in at all?

Here is the list of knowledge you would get for every possible nationality in the keep. I tried to create some kind of approximation of percentage, but it was not working so well, so knowledge is listed in the order that it would appear on the manager profile from greatest to least. Remember that you can add a half of a bar from a second nationality and a quarter bar from a favorite club:

South America:

Argentina: Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Colombia, Chile, Bolivia

Bolivia: Bolivia, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay

Brazil: Brazil, Paraguay, Colombia, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile

Chile: Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, Colombia, Brazil

Colombia: Colombia, Venezuela, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Panama

Ecuador: Ecuador, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Brazil

Paraguay: Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil

Peru: Peru, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Colombia, Brazil

Uruguay: Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Paraguay, Cameroon

Venezuela: Venezuela, Argentina, Colombia, Brazil

Africa:

Algeria: Algeria, Mali, Cameroon, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Guinea

Angola: Angola

Benin: Benin

Botswana: Botswana

Burkina Faso: Burkina Faso

Burundi: Burundi

Cameroon: Cameroon, Liberia

Cape Verde: Cape Verde

Central African Republic: Central African Republic

Chad: Chad

Comoros: Comoros

Congo: Congo

Djibouti: Djibouti

Democratic Republic of Congo: Democratic Republic of Congo

Egypt: Egypt, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Tunisia, Ivory Coast

Equatorial Guinea: Equatorial Guinea

Eritrea: Eritrea

Ethiopia: Ethiopia

Gabon: Gabon

Gambia: Gambia

Ghana: Ghana

Guinea: Guinea

Guinea-Bissau: Guinea-Bissau

Ivory Coast: Ivory Coast

Kenya: Kenya

Lesotho: Lesotho

Liberia: Liberia

Libya: Libya

Madagascar: Madagascar

Malawi: Malawi

Mali: Mali

Mauritania: Mauritania

Mauritius: Mauritius

Mayotte: Mayotte

Morocco: Morocco, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Mali

Mozambique: Mozambique

Namibia: Namibia

Niger: Niger

Nigeria: Nigeria, Ghana

Reunion: Reunion

Rwanda: Rwanda

Sao Tome and Principe: Sao Tome and Principe

Senegal: Senegal

Seychelles: Seychelles

Sierra Leone: Sierra Leone

Somalia: Somalia

South Africa: South Africa, Zambia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Lesotho

Sudan: Sudan

Swaziland: Swaziland

Tanzania: Tanzania

Togo: Togo

Tunisia: Tunisia, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Brazil, Nigeria, Ghana

Uganda: Uganda

Zambia: Zambia

Zimbabwe: Zimbabwe

Asia:

Afghanistan: Afghanistan

Australia: Australia, England, Brazil, Argentina, New Zealand

Bahrain: Bahrain, Nigeria

Bangladesh: Bangladesh, Nigeria, Morocco, Uganda, Liberia, Guinea

Bhutan: Bhutan

Brunei: Brunei

Cambodia: Cambodia

China: China, Brazil, Serbia, Uruguay, Romania, Bulgaria

Taiwan: Taipei

East Timor: East Timor

Guam: Guam

Hong Kong: Hong Kong, China, Nigeria, Cameroon, Brazil, Ghana

India: India, Nigeria, Brazil, Ghana

Indonesia: Chile, Brazil, Indonesia, Cameroon, Argentina, Liberia

Iran: Iran, Azerbaijan, Iraq, Armenia, Georgia, Brazil

Iraq: Iraq

Japan: Brazil, Japan, South Korea, North Korea

Jordan: Jordan

Kuwait: Kuwait, Brazil, Nigeria

Kyrgyzstan: Kyrgyzstan

Laos: Laos

Lebanon: Lebanon, Armenia

Macao: Macao, China, Brazil, Portugal

Malaysia: Malaysia, Brazil, Australia, Argentina, Slovakia, Ghana

Maldives: Maldives

Mongolia: Mongolia

Myanmar: Myanmar

Nepal: Nepal

North Korea: North Korea

Northern Mariana Islands: Northern Mariana Islands

Oman: Oman

Pakistan: Pakistan

Palestine: Palestine

Philippines: Philippines

Qatar: Qatar, Bahrain

Saudi Arabia: Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Oman

Singapore: Singapore, Australia, Thailand, Nigeria, Cameroon, England

South Korea: South Korea, Brazil

Sri Lanka: Sri Lanka

Syria: Syria, Nigeria

Tajikistan: Tajikistan

Thailand: Thailand, Brazil

Turkmenistan: Turkmenistan

UAE: UAE, Brazil

Uzbekistan: Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Russia

Vietnam: Vietnam, Brazil, Uganda, Nigeria, Thailand, Ukraine

Yemen: Yemen

Oceania:

American Samoa: American Samoa

Cook Islands: Cook Islands

Fiji: Fiji

New Caledonia: New Caledonia

New Zealand: New Zealand

Papua New Guinea: Papua New Guinea

Samoa: Samoa

Solomon Islands: Solomon Islands

Tahiti: Tahiti

Tonga: Tonga

Vanuatu: Vanuatu

Wallis and Futuna: Wallis and Futuna

Europe:

Albania: Albania, Macedonia, Brazil, Cameroon, Nigeria, Croatia

Andorra: Andorra

Armenia: Brazil, Ukraine, Armenia, Serbia, Russia, Nigeria

Austria: Austria, Germany, Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Azerbaijan: Georgia, Azerbaijan, Brazil, Ukraine, Turkey, Cameroon

Belarus: Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, Kazakhstan

Belgium: Belgium, France, Holland, Germany, Luxembourg, Democratic Republic of Congo

Bosnia and Herzegovina: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro, Brazil, Slovenia

Bulgaria: Bulgaria, Brazil, Serbia, Macedonia, Portugal, Nigeria

Croatia: Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Albania, Serbia, Slovenia

Cyprus: Cyprus, Greece, Serbia, Hungary, Slovakia, Georgia

Czech Republic: Czech Republic, Slovakia, Brazil, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovenia, France

Denmark: Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Brazil, Norway, Faeroe Islands

England: England

Estonia: Estonia

Faeroe Islands: Faeroe Islands, Denmark, Iceland

Finland: Finland

France: France, England, Switzerland, Belgium, Brazil, Spain

Macedonia: Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Brazil, Nigeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Georgia: Georgia

Germany: Germany, Croatia, Poland, Holland, Czech Republic, Brazil

Greece: Greece, Serbia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Albania

Holland: Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany

Hungary: Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro

Iceland: Iceland, England, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Faeroe Islands

Ireland: Ireland, Northern Ireland, England, Scotland, Poland

Israel: Serbia, Israel, Croatia, Ghana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Nigeria

Italy: Italy

Kazakhstan: Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan

Latvia: Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Russia, Georgia, Estonia

Liechtenstein: Liechtenstein, Switzerland

Lithuania: Lithuania, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Georgia, Poland

Luxembourg: Luxembourg, France, Germany, Belgium, Portugal

Malta: Malta, Nigeria, Brazil, Serbia, Bulgaria, Italy

Moldova: Romania, Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia

Montenegro: Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Nigeria, Cameroon

Northern Ireland: Northern Ireland, Ireland, Scotland, England, United States

Norway: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Faeroe Islands

Poland: Poland, Nigeria, Serbia, Czech Republic, Brazil, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Portugal: Portugal, Brazil, France, Argentina, Montenegro, Slovenia

Romania: Romania, Serbia, Australia, Portugal, Moldova, Montenegro

Russia: Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Brazil, Serbia, Czech Republic

San Marino: San Marino

Scotland: Scotland

Serbia: Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Brazil, Cameroon

Slovakia: Slovakia, Czech Republic, Serbia

Slovenia: Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania

Spain: Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Portugal, France, England

Sweden: Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Switzerland: Switzerland, Italy

Turkey: Turkey, Brazil, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Ukraine: Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Moldova, China

Wales: Wales, England

North America:

Anguilla: Anguilla

Antigua and Barbuda: Antigua and Barbuda

Aruba: Aruba

Bahamas: Bahamas

Barbados: Barbados

Belize: Belize, Honduras, Costa Rica

Bermuda: Bermuda

British Virgin Islands: British Virgin Islands

Canada: Canada, England, Holland, Norway, Germany, Denmark

Cayman Islands: Cayman Islands

Costa Rica: Costa Rica, Honduras, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil

Cuba: Cuba

Dominica: Dominica

Dominican Republic: Dominican Republic, Haiti

El Salvador: El Salvador, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Guatemala

French Guyana: French Guyana

Grenada: Grenada

Guadeloupe: Guadeloupe

Guatemala: Guatemala, Uruguay, Argentina, Costa Rica, Brazil, Colombia

Guyana: Guyana

Haiti: Haiti

Honduras: Honduras, Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, Uruguay

Jamaica: Jamaica

Martinique: Martinique

Mexico: Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile

Montserrat: Montserrat

Netherlands Antilles: Netherlands Antilles

Nicaragua: Nicaragua, Argentina, Uruguay

Panama: Panama, Colombia, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay

Puerto Rico: Puerto Rico

Sint Maarten: Sint Maarten

Saint Kitts and Nevis: Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia: Saint Lucia

Saint Martin: Saint Martin

Saint Pierre and Miquelon: Saint Pierre and Miquelon

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines: Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Suriname: Suriname

Trinidad and Tobago: Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, Guyana, Brazil, Saint Lucia, United States

Turks and Caicos: Turks and Caicos

United States: United States, Germany, Holland, England, Belgium, Mexico

US Virgin Islands: US Virgin Island, United States

Here is the list of knowledge you would get for every possible nationality in the keep. I tried to create some kind of approximation of percentage, but it was not working so well, so knowledge is listed in the order that it would appear on the manager profile from greatest to least. Remember that you can add a half of a bar from a second nationality and a quarter bar from a favorite club:

Asia:

Hong Kong: Hong Kong, China, Nigeria, Cameroon, Brazil, Ghana

North America:

Canada: Canada, England, Holland, Norway, Germany, Denmark

I get all the Canada ones, but I only get Hong Kong knowledge with it as 2nd nationality.

I get all the Canada ones, but I only get Hong Kong knowledge with it as 2nd nationality.
That's a fantastic list, roversawh7!

So that means, if managing in England, a good choice of nationalities would be Argentine and Danish, with a Russian team as your favourite club, giving you 14 different 'knowledges'.

What I meant to say is that for a second nationality and favorite club, you get a small amount of knowledge of only that country...

So rancer890, you should get the Canada ones plus half a bar of Hong Kong knowledge. Are you CBC, by the way? I'm ABC myself and always add Hong Kong second nationality to my American first nationality when I am playing games on the demo.

What I meant to say is that for a second nationality and favorite club, you get a small amount of knowledge of only that country...

So rancer890, you should get the Canada ones plus half a bar of Hong Kong knowledge. Are you CBC, by the way? I'm ABC myself and always add Hong Kong second nationality to my American first nationality when I am playing games on the demo.

Yes, I'm CBC. My parents were born in HK though, so I haven't been to HK (yet).

On FM, I think I get full bar of HK though (at least 3/4 bar lol). I wondering why I don't get China knowledge.:(

Now for some analysis of my results.

In South America, every nationality gives you Argentine knowledge, so if you are in Argentina, there is no clear advantage. In Brazil, I would recommend Argentina as the first nationality with Peru/Venezuela/Ecuador being you choices for the other two. For managing in Colombia, I would go with Uruguay or Chile and a combo of Bolivia and the one that is not your first nationality. In Peru, Chile with Ecuador and Venezuela would be a good one.

Oceania nation knowledge is pretty much useless.

Meanwhile in North America, South American knowledge is key. For the US, I would go with Mexican first nationality and choose among the countries you do not have knowledge of. Caribbean knowledge might give you something different, but it probably would not bring up many players. For Mexico, I would go with Colombia and a combo of Peru and Ecuador.

Africa does not give that many intriguing options. If you are managing in South Africa, you might as well just take that nationality with Angola as a second nationality and another nearby country for a favorite club. You could add England for a favorite club to bring up any second nationality regens from there. If you want a lot of good African countries for knowledge, I would go with Egypt and a combo of Morocco and Algeria. You could also add two other African countries to either Algeria, Morocco, or Tunisia as a first nationality and have a good base.\

Asia gives you some absolutely bizarre knowledge. It seems like you might want Singapore, Malaysia, or Indonesia as a first nationality. I don't really have specific recommendations, but any of the countries with multiple knowledge bases could work well for you.

Europe gives you so many options to choose from that I could not possibly come up with all of the solutions. As I said before, Spain with a combination of Germany, Holland, or Italy is probably the most effective for covering all of the major companies. For England, especially below the Premier League, I would go with Ireland and a combination of Bulgaria, Greece, or Wales. For Spain, I would consider a South American nationality like Colombia or possibly Germany or Austria for solid knowledge . Dutch nationality will give you a great spread of Northern countries while Norway will guarantee all of the Scandinavian countries. Greece can give you a useful mix, while Lithuania, Belarus, or Kazakhstan give you a base of former Soviet republics to work with. Croatia or Slovenia give you the most complete Balkan knowledge.

Those are some ideas for contributing more to your team's scouting knowledge. Add any ideas if you have them!

Just to clarify a bit regarding knowledge...

Btw, roversawh7, amazing work posting that exhaustive list... Greatly apperciated!

2nd nationalities, in my experience, will only give you knowledge of the first on that list. Sometimes it might give you two countries...

Eg, select Slovakia as 2nd nationality and you'd get Slovakia and not Czech Republic and Serbia. Select it as first nationality and you get all three :)

Archived