Ability of greyed out teams

Here is the scenario, I am Braintree and am playing against a greayed out team called Ware in the earliest stage of the FA cup. Now I will admit that my Braintree team are not the best but Ware played like chelsea. They played one touch football and scored two wonder goals; they were well crafted attacks with good finishes at the end and ended up winning 2-1.

2-1 may sound close but it wasn't.

Is this an issue or was it just a one off?

This was a well-known issue with the game before 8.0.2 was released, haven't really noticed it on 8.0.2. Are you patched up to 8.0.2? This might be the problem.

Yep, am completely patched up.

One off. Just a bad result.

I sure do hope so, £100,000 in debt and this competiton could have helped me alot

Thanks to all that have replied :D

Still an issue in 8.0.2, i've seen conference greyed out teams score Arsenal like goals against my championship side.

Wait for it...

"its your tactics"..

Im suprised it took so many posts to arrive :D

I raised this in my "I hate Grey teams" thread.

Sorry, I hadn't seen it

This is a global problem and it gets ridiculous in international management.

I've lost with a strong US squad to 'greyed' CONCACAF teams, like Cuba, El Salvador, etc, in the same manner and to small 'greyed' Euro nations with France and England.

Its by far one of the most frustrating things in the game.

This is definitely a big problem in my opinion and as UxSxAxfooty pointed out it gets worse in international management. My Hong Kong team are by no means world beaters but they lose heavily to poor greyed out teams like Bangladesh and East Timor who seem to play football like Brazil! They might as well change the colour of their shirts to yellow!

When i made Gibraltar and Greenland and Pays Basque playable, they were decent teams with decent players, but they only scored goals against eachother, they regularly lose by ridiculous margins to Poland and Peru, and once i saw Basque losing 11-0 to Germany, this was 2071 and all the german regens were cack by the way.

That's right. Kazakhstan is a greyed out team and as England manager I couldn't believe it when they held me 0-0 at half time. But I logged on to the tactics forum here, made a sub and changed my tactics and managed to win the game 5-1.

Best,

Fabio.

PS, my pal George had the same problem as Scotland manager when he lost 1-0 to Macedonia.

And yes, I know it shouldn't happen all the time. I can see lower league managers have a big problem with this due to the difference in quality being not quite as high, but I see complaints like this coming from Prem FM managers and even international managers.

Playing in L1 through to the Prem and internationally I have never failed to beat a grey team, and I'm not exactly an FM master. Sorry, but if you are a strong team and you can't beat greys, it IS your tactics (no sarcasm). Villa versus Kryghyssnnnjwil or whatever they were called shows how you can struggle against unknown teams; Man City 0-1 FC Midtjylland this year in the Uefa; and so on.

I think the ability of grey teams for LLM should deteriorate the further down the league you go, but if they get too far the other way, every time Man City plays FC Midtjylland it'll be a cricket score in Man City's favour. Unless SI decide to increase the range of player stats to 100 the margins between professional and amateur will never be sufficient to please everyone.

And yes, I know it shouldn't happen all the time. I can see lower league managers have a big problem with this due to the difference in quality being not quite as high, but I see complaints like this coming from Prem FM managers and even international managers.

Playing in L1 through to the Prem and internationally I have never failed to beat a grey team, and I'm not exactly an FM master. Sorry, but if you are a strong team and you can't beat greys, it IS your tactics (no sarcasm). Villa versus Kryghyssnnnjwil or whatever they were called shows how you can struggle against unknown teams; Man City 0-1 FC Midtjylland this year in the Uefa; and so on.

I think the ability of grey teams for LLM should deteriorate the further down the league you go, but if they get too far the other way, every time Man City plays FC Midtjylland it'll be a cricket score in Man City's favour. Unless SI decide to increase the range of player stats to 100 the margins between professional and amateur will never be sufficient to please everyone.

Fair point but this team are not unknown because of countries. They are in a lower division than mine in the same country.

And "Manager Milney" are they any good as a football team, are they better than Braintree!

I'm sorry but that's rubbish. If a team has actually got real players to fill a position but chooses to pick a grey instead because he's that much better as a player it suggests there's a problem. Take a look at the greys in 2020's and so and you'll see what I mean. All the greys have perfectly rounded stats, balanced players often good enough to play for much better teams if they weren't unsignable. Regens however are mostly weak and unbalanced which leads to a scenario where greys are better than the real players. A result of two different issues - greys being too good and regens being rubbish.

I'm sorry but that's rubbish. If a team has actually got real players to fill a position but chooses to pick a grey instead because he's that much better as a player it suggests there's a problem. Take a look at the greys in 2020's and so and you'll see what I mean. All the greys have perfectly rounded stats, balanced players often good enough to play for much better teams if they weren't unsignable. Regens however are mostly weak and unbalanced which leads to a scenario where greys are better than the real players. A result of two different issues - greys being too good and regens being rubbish.

I completely agree with what you just said.

Yep, am completely patched up.

I sure do hope so, £100,000 in debt and this competiton could have helped me alot

Thanks to all that have replied :D

What is the capacity of your stadium? Arranging some high profile home friendlies against the bigger teams (both home and european teams) will quickly reduce your £100,000 debt. I once played a series of friendlies against the big english and european teams and made £3million.

Arranging some high profile home friendlies against the bigger teams (both home and european teams) will quickly reduce your £100,000 debt.

I agree. Here's a trick that works for me: If you can't get big teams to play you in a friendly (one-on-one), set up a friendly tournament with 3 big teams and yours. Use the three big teams as bait for each other to accept and you get much of the financial benefits.

Regarding greyed out teams, I agree that the combination of grey teams being too good PLUS regens being poor highlights this problem. I've found that greys are harder in later seasons of a career, likely for this very reason.

It is a problem. I once beat Crewe 7-0 at home with my Braintree team, in the FA Cup during the first season. I know Crewe aren't a greyed out team but I assume the game is hugely miscalculating something during cup games.

It is a problem. I once beat Crewe 7-0 at home with my Braintree team, in the FA Cup during the first season. I know Crewe aren't a greyed out team but I assume the game is hugely miscalculating something during cup games.

Please don't tell me that, I can't buy a win at the moment.

Well, I was using the feeder club bug (although I didn't know it was a bug at the time) which involved me blagging a bunch of quality players on loan from my Championship parent team. I have since stopped the game upon discovery of this and now am waiting patiently for the 09 demo.

That's right. Kazakhstan is a greyed out team and as England manager I couldn't believe it when they held me 0-0 at half time. But I logged on to the tactics forum here, made a sub and changed my tactics and managed to win the game 5-1.

Best,

Fabio.

PS, my pal George had the same problem as Scotland manager when he lost 1-0 to Macedonia.

Hey Fabio,

I played against Faroe Islands a couple of days ago and even the tactics forum couldn't help me. Guess what, we were playing against truck drivers and grocery clerks, still couldn't win.

truely yours, Karel

It's not just a human v AI problem, it also occurs frequently in AI v AI matches. Far too many grey teams from outside playable leagues beat playable teams in the cups. Obviously it should happen on occasion, but nowhere near the frequency it does on 08.

Yea, Nobby you're spot on. I've seen many a grey team get to F.A Cup first round proper, and its ludicrous. I've never had much trouble with it in the English leagues, but in the N. Irish leagues, for about 25 seasons I got battered by Grey teams. (Especially in the All Ireland Cup) - and it was infuriating.

You're contradicting yourself.

No I'm not. I never stated I had a problem with it in the English leagues, I seem to dispatch of the grey teams with ease. However, I've still seen Grey teams make it to the 1st round of the F.A Cup. And thats just stupid. It may happen once a season, (MAYBE) in real life - but not as often as it does on FM. There's no contradiction there.

This is nothing to do with the thread (sorry), but I just realised that I recognise the name peter-evo. Liverpool fan, writes a lot of stuff on RAWK etc, same guy?

Nope I am afraid, I met someone on XBOX live called WWfan but wasn't the same guy even though he is a member here.

I am a Birmingham fan and don't have the Brain capacity to write lots of stuff anywhere! :D

No I'm not. I never stated I had a problem with it in the English leagues, I seem to dispatch of the grey teams with ease. However, I've still seen Grey teams make it to the 1st round of the F.A Cup. And thats just stupid. It may happen once a season, (MAYBE) in real life - but not as often as it does on FM. There's no contradiction there.

Ahh, I understand now, sorry about confusion!

There is Nep, you're saying you don't have a problem with grey teams in the English leagues, yet in the same post are saying too many of them are reaching the F.A. Cup First Round.

There is Nep, you're saying you don't have a problem with grey teams in the English leagues, yet in the same post are saying too many of them are reaching the F.A. Cup First Round.

HE doesn't have a problem, I suspect thats because he is at a better level than those grey teams. So personally he doesn't have a problem. I could be wrong though ;)

There really isn't.

HE doesn't have a problem, I suspect thats because he is at a better level than those grey teams. So personally he doesn't have a problem. I could be wrong though ;)

As Neji stated.

Just because I don't have a problem with them, it doesn't mean there ISN'T a problem there.

I manage to beat the grey teams, where other don't, hence, there is a problem with so many grey teams getting to the F.A Cup 1st round in my game, I'm just yet to be a culprit, and the AI is taking the flack.

However, in N. Ireland, I was getting smashed left right and center by the grey teams, some even when I was 1-33 to beat them, and they were 50-1 to beat me..!!

Archived