New Rivals

Not really, other than your personal rivalry with different managers.

There's been mention of teams from Blue Square getting to the Premiership and 10 years on still having rivalries with local teams and not creating any new ones.

Originally posted by Ryan,,,:

I would have thought that if a team beat you and they got promoted/survived relegation at your expense, they should be your rivals.

Not if it only happened once. You'd have about 100 rivals if that were the case.

But if they beat YOUR team and you got relegated instead of them or they got promoted instead of you. Wouldn't it make a difference?

The way FM works is that the disliked/liked categories are gradually built up with a top score of 100. So basically if it happens once, it may go up by about 10, but it would then take 10 run ins with that particular team to actually cause them to appear as a rival.

The same thing happens when adding a player to the favourites, with different scores for different things e.g. giving them the captaincy earns 100, saying they are in good form is maybe 10 or something along those lines.

As Swarfega said, you couldn't just add to as results occur or in 40 years time you could have a page full of rivals.

I do agree that there should be some room for growth here. Rivalries are historical and don't happen over a couple of seasons, but I do think that a tussle over 5-10 years with a particular team should develop into a 'minor' rival and eventually major rival over a long campaign.

But if they beat YOUR team and you got relegated instead of them or they got promoted instead of you. Wouldn't it make a difference?

Not really.

You have your fierce local rivals, and you have the team you have built up rivalries with over the course of 10+ years, usually more.

Reading and Fulham were not rivals this season. Neither were Bristol City and Hull. Just teams with the same aim.

Well our(Brighton's) rivalry with the Palace scum was only over a few years, when Mullery was the gaff. He hated Palace. But then he went on to manage them!

Realise that this is a bit off the topic but whats the deal with that rivalry? As far as i know (i'm not from England) Brighton and London aren't that close to each other...

I think the game could do with seperating rivalries into two parts. Fixed RL historical Rivalries and New evolving Rivalries.

Fixed Rivalry would already be pre-determined and would not change over time. For example Huddersfield and Leeds start the game as rivals and that wouldn't change over the years. They might not end up in the same league and meet much but when they did the rivalry would be resumed and at the same intensity. Essentially this is how the rivalry is worked out in the game now. It's set at the begining and thats the way it stays.

Evolving rivalries could be created by a simple score system like with favourite players, but adjusted to take into account the amount of time and special events it takes. They could also decrease over time.

For example,

Losing a playoff or key cup game to a team could = 5 to 10 points on the scale

Losing a certain amount of games in a row to a team could = a sliding scale depending on the number of games.

Losing out on a title, promotion or safety to a team could = a small amount of points, multiplied by a value related to the current state of the rivalry. For example if you just lose out on a title to a team you have no history with it would increase your rivalry score by say 5 points. If it was to a team you had a minor rivalry with that could increase it to 10 points, major to 15 etc.

Then over time a rivalry could be developed. However time could also dull the rivalry. Every year without major interaction with a rival could reduce the overall score.

Anyone think that would work?

Originally posted by Peljam:

I think the game could do with seperating rivalries into two parts. Fixed RL historical Rivalries and New evolving Rivalries.

Fixed Rivalry would already be pre-determined and would not change over time. For example Huddersfield and Leeds start the game as rivals and that wouldn't change over the years. They might not end up in the same league and meet much but when they did the rivalry would be resumed and at the same intensity. Essentially this is how the rivalry is worked out in the game now. It's set at the begining and thats the way it stays.

Evolving rivalries could be created by a simple score system like with favourite players, but adjusted to take into account the amount of time and special events it takes. They could also decrease over time.

For example,

Losing a playoff or key cup game to a team could = 5 to 10 points on the scale

Losing a certain amount of games in a row to a team could = a sliding scale depending on the number of games.

Losing out on a title, promotion or safety to a team could = a small amount of points, multiplied by a value related to the current state of the rivalry. For example if you just lose out on a title to a team you have no history with it would increase your rivalry score by say 5 points. If it was to a team you had a minor rivalry with that could increase it to 10 points, major to 15 etc.

Then over time a rivalry could be developed. However time could also dull the rivalry. Every year without major interaction with a rival could reduce the overall score.

Anyone think that would work?

Seems a little complex for something that has no real use :p Nice idea though.

A good idea would be to have teams within x-amount-of-miles radius of your team to have varying rivalry attributes.

For instance, I am Stafford Rangers (tell a lie, I've just left to go to Forest but...) and I've reached the top end of League 1. I am playing Stoke every season and having some crackin' games with them. They're just up the M6 from me but aren't at all affiliated with me, rival-wise.

Perhaps SI could make it so a point is added on to the "Disliked teams" field each time you beat them and maybe 5 each time you lose to them?

Something along those lines, anyway. I'm typing this in work and being interrupted with much less important issues than this. So...forgive the rushed message.

the fm world doesnt adapt to new conditions unfurtenly.

rivals,players potential,stadium expansions maximum , maximim size of staffs, are all set and cant be changed during the game through playing the game wich is very sad.

since 12 years back i been playing cm/fm and things like this needs a change.

BUT SI wants to make their costumers happy and most ppl play the big clubs and they all have best of everything so doesnt matter for em.

things like rivals and clubs staff size doesnt change and that means kettering town still have max 5 staff members and rivals in conference leauges even if they after 25 years plays in premiership and champions leauge.

I don't think us (Ipswich) need anymore rivals, the only ones that I could think of would be Norwich and Colchester for obvious reason, and maybe West Ham and Sheffield United, and that's pretty much it.

In my opinion what would be the point of creating new rivalries with other teams already on your team info page, 3 or 4 and I'm fine with that.

Managers on the other hand, if someone like Alan Pardew were to try and buy all my best players, or always slate me and my team before and after a game, then I would like an option to include them on my rival managers on my manager profile, we have favourite clubs, why can we not include rival clubs?

Or how about we could have an option to add our favourite or players that we hate, so if I were Ipswich manager then I could have the option to include Pablo Counago on my favourite personnel list just like they are able to add me.

Then I could also have an option to add someone like Darren Huckerby to my dislike list, because well, I hate the bastard.

Feels like a suggestion. icon_biggrin.gif

I do think rivalries should be able to gained through a career. look at liverpool and chelsea, ten years ago these two werent really considered rivals but after the RA take over and the champions league games they hate eachother now.

Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

Seems a little complex for something that has no real use :p Nice idea though.

Ta icon_smile.gif It is a bit complex really. Eventually it would take up vast amounts of memory to keep track of all the team interactions.

Does Rivalry have no real game effect? Doesn't fan confidence increase/decrease more when the result being looked at was against a rival?

Even if it does effect that I suppose it's not a massive issue. It'd just be nice to see things like that develop, cosmetic as they may be. I like playing long career games so I've love to see rivals develop icon_smile.gif

Or how about we could have an option to add our favourite or players that we hate, so if I were Ipswich manager then I could have the option to include Pablo Counago on my favourite personnel list just like they are able to add me.

Heh, I'd quite like the option to add a favourite player in game. Though to be fair it would have to just be players you have worked with. Or have it as being purely cosmetic. Otherwise you could add the likes of Kaka to your fave list to encourage them to sign with you.

Pablo Counago is my favourite player, who also plays for Ipswich, so yeah I would work with him if I were Ipswich manager and thus I could add him under certain circumstances, such as if he were to have a terrific season, such as score 30+ goals, win Championship Player of the Season and he praises me for it, then I could have the option to add him.

Off course continued praising throughout the season would help, just to build up a good relationship.

Well, once I was managing Eastbourne, who have no rivals. I managed Lewes and I wanted a local rivalry between them and Brighton to develope. And as Diagoras, Rhodes aren't in the same league, so I have no rivals.

And I'd like it if you could add more than one favourite club. and if you are added to a teams favourites, can they become one of your favourite clubs, even if not selected when you created your manager profile?

Playing Dafuge's challenge...I am with AFC wimbledon in 2021/22 season...and Bolton has been my biggest rival...stealing my star players almost every season and we have met each other over 25-30 times....They are not on my minor rivals list...so yes rivalry between clubs do develop...

Originally posted by pelicanstuff:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan,,,:

I hardly think a miners strike will happen in the game. If you keep arguing with a manager would they become your rivals?

I was joking. You simply can't tell in an in-game environment what factors would cause rivalries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some factors; no. Geographical ones; yes. Burscough and Southport being in the same division, in real life has cooked up some new hatred that wasn't their before. More amusingly that it tends to come from them.

I would love to see rivalries appear throughout the game.

I don't think we need that scoring list as much, maybe just a note asking if we want to add 'Team A' to our rival list. possibly appearing after we loose a really important game.

Personally, I would love to have seen Charlton downs as my main rival at Basingstoke, pr**ks kept me out of the EPL way too often!

Archived