Training, The most difficult part of the game.

Something I've wondered. It would be cool if the balance between training and tactics was was somehow more related. Like Arsenal obviously spend a lot of time practicing short passing and moving drills in a small area and this is reflected in their play. Teams that face Bolton might practice, more intensivly, defending long balls a few days before the match. These are just examples but you could go on.

The point is, training in Fm at the moment only really improves individuals. There is no way of setting your team to perform a certain way. To practice a formation or encourage your team to perfect a certain style.

Obviously, it probably is one of the most hardest parts of the game for SI to get right and make more interesting, while having more of an effect on your team. In reality though, it is the biggest part of a managers job. I'm not having a go at SI, as I struggle to imagine a way they could enhance this area and I assume others would find in extremely difficult to come up with an interesting and effective idea to make this area better and able to actually work.

Any ideas? This is a part of the game that has been greatly overlooked throughout the history of the game.

I agree and I'd like this implemented into the game asap. I don't really like the training system since they've changed it to be honest. I much preferred it when you had to choose a daily schedule. Hopefully it'll be improved in 09 although I've not heard anything.

Maybe they could add a "formation effectiveness" type thing.

You could set your formation and tactics and get your team to practice this in training. The more they practice and the quality of the coaches would improve this and show how comfortable your team are in this formation.

The only trouble is, how would you implemet this on the individuals?

Training should involve practice matches , and when you bring players in on trial , your assitant should comment on them in training daily . Anyone agree ?

I was thinking something like that. Maybe a practice session leading up to a game. playing your team with the tactics you intend to use in the match. It would prepare the players for the game. The coaches could give you feeback. But what stats should this effect for the players?

I was thinking something like that. Maybe a practice session leading up to a game. playing your team with the tactics you intend to use in the match. It would prepare the players for the game. The coaches could give you feeback. But what stats should this effect for the players?

I guess if you ttrained like Arsenal your passing and off the ball would be improved, or defending a long ball game like Bolton would increase defensive awareness and so on

i think it would be cool if you will be able to do "special" training work.for example,using ac milan..the week before the match against fc inter i should be able to prepare my team technically and tactically to face mourinho's gang..so sending scout to watch fc inter games and have reports on them would affect the work i have to schedule during the week..and then,in the evening,maybe my assman should tell me who of my players reaches best the tactical and technical targets i want.

for example..i ask to focus train on press their playmaker (let's say cambiasso) and always try to anticipate their strikers (let's say ibrahimovic),then after the training the assmen will say "maldini performed great in anticipate strikers while kaladze didn't"..maybe some percentages could be used..maldini reached the 100% of what you asked,kaladze the 40% and so on..this would affect my starters in the game..

IMHO:

i don't know how much can managers improve individual players (especialy those 1st team) qualities - attributes in real life, having games every 3 days. pre-season? surelly they are preparing for next games more, than practising dribbling, concentration or 1st touch? tactics and training should be conected more. more you stick to one style, more success you should expect.

manager should start his tactical training job with setting the basic formation(s) and style- home & awey, for example. with this in mind, i think we as managers should be able to train our tactical system - sliders: formations, closing down, passing style, set pieces...also preparing the team for next game - making plan A, B, C. at the moment all we're doing is changing instructions during the game and that's imo wrong. i'm not saying we shouldn't be able to make adjustments but i don't think it's the way things work in real life. manager prepares tactical plans for any given scenario and than he's able to make some adjustments from touchline and in half time. but the real job is done on training ground. both for preparing for next match and own tactical system. and that's smth that is really missing in FM.

also watching trainings or practising skills should be left for Fifa manager... and our coaches!

I can't remember which version it was now that allowed you to put modules (e.g. Pig in the Middle) together to form training schedules (CM03/04?). It was a bit of a minefield to understand, but it did at least allow you to put in modules that were based around team cohesion and that kind of stuff - don't know how they worked in the background, but the current training I find appalling.

I know having loads of green or red arrows all at once like in FM07 is unrealistic, but the report telling you the 3 players who have trained well last month seems very weird now - I had one listed as having improved in Set Pieces, yet his freekick attribute had a big red arrow and only his crossing attribute had a green arrow, but not a full green arrow, just a semi one!

I can't remember which version it was now that allowed you to put modules (e.g. Pig in the Middle) together to form training schedules (CM03/04?). It was a bit of a minefield to understand, but it did at least allow you to put in modules that were based around team cohesion and that kind of stuff - don't know how they worked in the background, but the current training I find appalling.

I know having loads of green or red arrows all at once like in FM07 is unrealistic, but the report telling you the 3 players who have trained well last month seems very weird now - I had one listed as having improved in Set Pieces, yet his freekick attribute had a big red arrow and only his crossing attribute had a green arrow, but not a full green arrow, just a semi one!

those modules were terrible addition to the game. just couldn't find the right balance. thanks god they're removed.

coaches should 'do' the training sessions. we should be able to tactically train the team. but i don't know how to make it work realistlly in computor game ;) also i think we should be able to improve individual attributes, not attribute sets like now (skills, shooting, set pieces...).

I think attributes for coaches should be made more relevant. How many people actually pay attention to a coaches preferred formation when signing him? I think a system coaches prefer should reflect on the players on field, and be expanded.

Example, first team coach prefers a 4-3-3, short passing, attacking, etc and the players begin to be molded into this system. Give the players a preferred formation as well, so a striker takes a bit to get used to the 'system' of switching between a 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3 and a good coach who prefers 4-3-3 can help the player adapt quicker. Although if the player is a defender then it shouldn't matter as much if its a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 that their playing in, maybe in specific circumstances like an overlapping fullback or such.

I agree with the assistant taking training again it is too complecated nd you cant (in FM or real life) make a massive difference to a player through training after about 20-21! They have to do it themselves or in a game like hold the ball more or dribble more! Would like to just set up my team the way i wanted to and the assist manager to set the training up the way that would be most effective

Archived