player potential

kpw

does a players potential ever change? if i'm managing a team in the premiership and i have a young player who has a coaches report that says his potential could lead to him becoming a good championship player, is he worth keeping, or will he never have the ability to be a premiership player.

A player's potential will generally not change, although a critical injury can give it a huge downward blow.

A scout's opinion of the player will change depending on the division and the quality of the rest of the squad, so while the player might become a good Premiership player, compared to your other players he could only become a good Championship player.

And bear in mind, the scout's are never 100% accurate. The higher a scout's Judging Player Potential rating, the better he will be at predicting the future quality of a player, though.

Ultimately, the decision on whether to keep the player or not is down to you.

I often get reports like that but i ignore them and judge for myself, quite often they turn into leading stars for my level club and not a level lower, it changes dramatically when they get regular matches under their belts.

When you're within the boundaries of the game (that is, don't check PA using FMM), you're actually never aware of a player's true potential. You have to go by the stars given by scouts and coaches for PA, and they often change based on the player's form. I've seen players gain a PA star after a good game only to lose it again after a bad performance a few weeks later. Also, their potential is often overrated near the end of the season, and underrated at the start (I hate that btw, it's obviously just his current ability that should be lowered). So, my best advice is, don't overstate the importance of coach reports. Judge his performances yourself using the ratings and 2d view, and try to figure out whether or not he's showing the potential to make it at your club. It's one of the hardest parts of the game, but also a very rewarding one when you get it right.

thanks for that, i'll keep hold of the player and see how things go.

is there any point where it is a good idea to get rid of a player based on the coaches report. e.g. if he says he only has the potential to play 3 leagues below you (obviously the older they get, the easier it is to make this judgement for yourself, but i'm just trying to see if the decision can be made earlier so that you don't waste time and money trying to train up a group of players that will never make it).

Archived