Fifa World Rankings

do friendly's count for the rankings cause managing the USA nation team is won Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain in friendlys yet 2 week later i'd droped 20 places to 43rd in the rankings

No as far as I'm aware.

I think friendlies count, but not as much as proper games.

From what I remember, it is worked out on the basis of your best eight results of the year over the last five years. Maybe the USA had some really good results five years earlier which no longer count.

i was wondering cause my USA team is the current Olimpic champions and the World Cup champions aswell and i just cant seem to get them up the rankings at all

Even Wales are above me lol

im sure friendlys count to the fifa world rankings but not as much as a competetive fixture. It all depends on the other nations as they will play competetive games at different times of the year and may move up the table when you dont play

Rankings are a little fictional even irl. They don't make any sense. If you win a tournament you're top. Take Spain, won the European Championship so they're in 1st place but their also unbeaten in 20 games but had they not won the tournament they wouldn't be 1st even though they have an unbeaten run.

Yeah, I've used friendlies to try and boost my fifa ranking before now, but the ranking system is a total mystery to me (just about to read that Wikipedia article now) - I always assumed it worked similar to the tennis rankings in that it is a rolling kind of ranking over 1 year (or maybe more) in that your results from the same time last year drop off your ranking points and results from now are added on so if you don't play a match in a week were you played and won the previous year then you will lose ranking points

Guest ajdavies
Rankings are a little fictional even irl. They don't make any sense. If you win a tournament you're top. Take Spain, won the European Championship so they're in 1st place but their also unbeaten in 20 games but had they not won the tournament they wouldn't be 1st even though they have an unbeaten run.

How could they not win the tournament & still have an unbeaten run?

They could lose on penalties. Generally that counts as a draw, although maybe not in tournament context.

Or you can draw all 3 group games and fail to qualify for KO stages - I've seen that happen before.

Yeah Switzerland went out of the last World Cup without conceding a goal.

Also I remember in the Champions League before AEK Athens (I think) finished unbeaten in the group stage.

Had JT scored that penalty in the Champions League final last year, Man United would have played every match in the Champions League and not lost any but obviously would not have won it.

I don't think the rankings really work properly in the game. My Brazil side won the Copa America in 2011 (I think, Ican't remeber the year exactly) and in doing so, we shot to the top of the world rankings. Within two years, we had slipped to 21st due to not playing any competitive fixtures as we were hosting the World Cup. We played freindlies and failed to win only one of them. Now I can understand Brazil would probably have slipped due to the Euros, but there is no way it would have been this far.

• 2 months later...

How's this for "world rankings": I entered the 2010 world cup managing Mexico ranked 5th in the world. I win the whole thing (semifinal and final on penalties) and the day after the tournament ends my team is ranked 6th in the world. WTF!!!!

How on earth can you move down in rankings after just winning the world cup???

Archived