FM2008 Personality clash when tutoring

I'm currently in my 3rd season with Milan. I bought Criscito from Juve 2 seasons back and got Pablo on a free from Athletic at the same time.

I have just had Criscito being tutored by Pablo and as both personalities are 'driven' thought I'd be onto a winner.

Anyway the tutoring has now finished and both are unhappy due to personality differences. How odd, two people with a driven personality having personality differences.

Pablo can speak Italian now too so it can't be that.

Just thought it was odd as I've never seen it before.

To be honest you all say this about youn players being in awe of top players. And I agree that they should be. But the truth is, is that they aren't anymore. The youngsters now just think about themselves and themselves only. They don't care if they get tutored by Maldini or Titus Bramble.

To be honest you all say this about youn players being in awe of top players. And I agree that they should be. But the truth is, is that they aren't anymore. The youngsters now just think about themselves and themselves only. They don't care if they get tutored by Maldini or Titus Bramble.

IMO thats not true. Any young defender would be honoured to be tutored by Maldini.

IMO thats not true. Any young defender would be honoured to be tutored by Maldini.

Well yes you will probably get the few who would, but in general younger players would rather be left on their own then being tutored. Saying that, I'd give anything to be tutored by Maldini. Maybe I'd make it into Villa next time if I did.

IMO it depends on who the "big player" is.

Well, yeah of course.

An example to show how this is wrong though.

In my previous save game I had a promising 17yo striker.

I also have, at my club a world class striker. He is the clubs top ever goalscorer having scored 200+ goals for the club, at the highest level.

Both players are said to be 'professional'. I setup the older player to tutor the younger one and he seemed to have a problem with that.

I'm currently in my 3rd season with Milan. I bought Criscito from Juve 2 seasons back and got Pablo on a free from Athletic at the same time.

I have just had Criscito being tutored by Pablo and as both personalities are 'driven' thought I'd be onto a winner.

Anyway the tutoring has now finished and both are unhappy due to personality differences. How odd, two people with a driven personality having personality differences.

Pablo can speak Italian now too so it can't be that.

Just thought it was odd as I've never seen it before.

because there bove driven they may have diffrent options ect and because there driven they stick by what they belwive in.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Some of you have mentioned that two players with the same personality could not get on IRL. This is true to an extent of course but not to the realms that you see in FM08.

However my point was that what else are we supposed to use as a guide to whether it would be good to tutor a youngster, if not by using the personality stat. There's nothing in the instruction manual, so...

Neji's suggestion is a good one cos at the moment like most of you say it's too random.

As for a youngster not being happy if Maldini or the like was tutoring that's balls. They'd be buzzin' their tits off!

Sometimes you can check the personal page of a young player and it will say similar type of player to <insert player name> and these will usually work out well. E.g. in fm 2007 i bought Bojan with Liverpool and on his personal page it said he was similar to Bellamy and also Craig Lindfield was similar to Crouch so i got them to be tutored by these players and they were happy to be tutored by them and it ended up well.

I'm perplexed as well as to what makes a successful tutoring relationship.

I tested this in a savegame where I had Carragher tutor Sakho, went on holiday to see how it went, and then reloaded the save and did the same tutoring over again. The tutoring was successful on every save, except the times when Sakho received an injury and was not able to train. Sakho then came back unhappy, saying he wasn't able to learn from Carra. This to me is ridiculous! If an injury is what prevents a tutoring relationship from being successful, then that's like playing Russian roulette.

The worst part about unsuccessful tutoring is not that the players start disliking each other – they’ll also dislike the manager who suggested the tutoring in the first place! I don't believe you get notified about this in-game, but if you use an editor like FMM you can see the manager's name pop up under the disliked personnel list.

Because the manager becomes disliked, my preference is not to involve any players who are or could become key players for my team. For example, I will never risk having Torres tutor Pacheco, but I don’t mind letting Pennant teach what little he knows to El Zhar – if it doesn’t work out then I can easily afford to sell both of them.

But if you insist on running the risk and have your star senior players and youngsters be involved with tutoring, then it helps in my experience to have a world class coach with high values in judging potential and ability give you a coach report on a youngster. If in his report he states that the youngster may benefit from being tutored by player x, then most of the time it will be successful – but not even this is a lock.

Did SI ever comment on what we’re supposed to look for when choosing tutoring relationships? It seems to me that out of all the new features in the last years, this is the one that’s causing the most confusion.

If a player has no PPMs, if you get him to tutor someone then the tutee will normally say "didn't feel he learnt much from x".

Also, sometimes there can be personality clashes like this:

Player X

Professionalism: 20

Controversy: 18

Sportsmanship: 3

Temperment: 6

Player Y

Professionalism: 20

Controversy: 3

Sportsmanship:16

Temperment: 17

In that scenario, it's possible both players will be listed as "professional" or "very professional". However, despite sharing one personality trait, one player is a Barton type figure, and the other is

a Zola. Just because they are both professional (and I'm not calling Barton professional, I was making an example), doesn't mean they have a similar personality.

I find tutoring a bit of a random mine-field, and class it in the same bracket as media comments and team-talks.

That is, the results can never quite be predicted even when you think you know what you're doing.

About 7 out of ten times I will just take the easy option: "Learn from player" - will only gain PPMS and is much less likely to result in personality clashes.

If I decide to ask someone to act as a "Role Model" for a youngster the I take the following into account:

Senior players reputation, both players play in the same position, same nationality (and therefore language) and both players personality.

But even when I do that, it still has the potential to back-fire:

Usually when I manage Liverpool I'll get Jamie Carragher to tutor Jack Hobbs. They both meet all the above criteria and usually it works fine; Jack will learn "Stops Play" and "Argues with officials" and will develop mental traits similar to Carragher, then and the end of the tutorship he will be "Pleased with how his recent learning experience went" and will add me and Carragher to his favoured personnel list.

And then on a different save with an identical database, after a couple of days he will complain that there is no way he can learn from someone when their personalities are so different.

A little bit too random for my liking.

Archived