Podcast 3: FM 09 New Features

Just icase you cannot download the podcast here was what revealed

FM 09 News

• Demo Release - Will be through normal channels but also Steam who have a really large bandwith so the download will be quicker.
  • FM 09 Blogs - Will start on Monday on HMV's website. SI will post info when blogs are posted. New features will also be mentioned in blogs.

FM 09 New Features

• Retired Squad Numbers - You can retire squad numbers after a number of years a players been at the club but the number was not revealed. Also any squad number retired in real life will be retired in the game ie Man City 23 in memory or Marc Viven Foe and West Ham number 6 for Bobby Moore.
  • Inactive Team Improved - If you do not select a league any player in that league will now play the full season and the number of games will be correct in thier history instead of playing 10-15 games.
  • Player Nationality Improved - Real Life Nationality Laws for different countries cahnged so they are correct with real life. ie A player can qualify for national citzenship after 2 seasons but cannot play for the national team for another 2 years instead of just being 4 years to become a national of the country they play in.
  • Referee Watch - Pundits comment during the post game analysis on how refs proformed during the game.
  • Pre Game injury history - Players injury history from real life is in the game where possible ie major injuries
  • New Sound Effects - Not Revealed but adds effect to match engine
  • Ability to reject all loan offers - You can now reject all loans offers from different clubs for one player instead of rejecting them individual.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy to hear blogs will start soon

Referee comments is pretty cool. An I'm glad we can reject all loan offers, I bloody hated having to individually do it, right pain in the backside

I'm really wanting to hear in what way media interaction, team talks and confidence have been improved

Ability to reject all loan offers - You can now reject all loans offers from different clubs for one player instead of rejecting them individual.

Thanks for the transcript.

Confused about the above though. We can do that already.

What I'd actually like is the ability to reject all bids from a particular club.

Confused about the above though. We can do that already.

I think it means the ability to do what we can already to with permanent transfers by selecting the option to reject all transfers and see all current transfers rejected upon confirmation (if that makes sense).

Anyway. These features are decent if unspectacular, though I suppose we can't really expect that from whats already been announced. The retired shirts will certainly please a lot of people.

Shirt numbers is a real issue but it's sily. what makes one player who wore a certain shirt any greater than another who wore the same shirt? And the ref thing only matters if you are allowed to say something to the press without being fined or cautioned.

I would expect the shirt feature might help or hinder you in gaining rapport with the fans/backroom staff/squad.

ie, you retire the number 11 shirt after Giggs retires, and the move is greeted with all-round applause and you are bumped up the favoured personnel lists of those affected.

Why do some people moan about the shirt numbers thing? Its there if you want to use it. if you don't want to....don't. Like people have said it happens in real life, so its been added. You can see why teams might do it, its a nice touch. Obviously don't go mental. Isn't the number 5 shirt at Milan retired?

That one I can understand but in the norm it's slightly silly. To give an example think of the Liverpool number 9s or Man Utd number 7s, would you say one was above another?

What about players like Giggs who commit their whole career to one team. Loyalty like that should be rewarded and retiring the players shirt number is just a nice gesture, like a way of saying that player can never be replaced

Why do some people moan about the shirt numbers thing? Its there if you want to use it. if you don't want to....don't. Like people have said it happens in real life, so its been added. You can see why teams might do it, its a nice touch. Obviously don't go mental. Isn't the number 5 shirt at Milan retired?

Yeah it is, they didn't want anyone to wear Maldini's number

What about players like Giggs who commit their whole career to one team. Loyalty like that should be rewarded and retiring the players shirt number is just a nice gesture, like a way of saying that player can never be replaced

Yeah it is, they didn't want anyone to wear Maldini's number

Maldini shirt number is retired but can be bought out of retirement if his son plays for milan, and the number 6 is retired at milan due to it being franco baresi's number for 20 odd years

The shirt numbers can be good but i'm a little concerned that it may be abused by the AI. Wouldn't be so fun if most AI-clubs retires the 1-11 numbers after 10-20 years because they've had good players there. It must be very, very rare that it happens and it should be possible to take a number out of retirement too, and that's something the AI should also do.

did they say when the demo would come out

No they didn't

I'd still imagine a couple of weeks before release of the game.

I hope the shirt thing says who the shirt is retired for. ie 5 Retired Number for Maldini.

I dont think i'll use the feature, i kinda like having the numbers 1-11 and if i was retiring shirts then that would cause problems.

In FM shirt numbers aren't always gonna stay the same though, i know that I change mine most years. Hard to give a specific shirt up for a player i would have thought. We'll see.

I am glad about shirt numbers. I hope that after Maldini retires it automatically retires the number 3 shirt. Maldini is the only player that is currently playing that can be called a 'Legend'

Joseba Etxeberria could be classed as a 'legend' at Athletico Bilbao, he's been there 13 years and is going to play his final season for free!

[*]Inactive Team Improved - If you do not select a league any player in that league will now play the full season and the number of games will be correct in thier history instead of playing 10-15 games.

Hopefully that will fix several other issues involving non selected leagues worldwide.

I am glad about shirt numbers. I hope that after Maldini retires it automatically retires the number 3 shirt. Maldini is the only player that is currently playing that can be called a 'Legend'

Ryan Giggs? 10championships 5FA Cups 1League Cup 1World Club Cup 2European Cups, most decorated player in English football history? I think this classifies as a legend :thup:

Depending on what you class as a legend , many people will have varying veiws. IMO legends are players who played for the love of the club and not the money and gave 100% every game .Unfortunatly there are not too many of them around in todays game.

Depending on what you class as a legend , many people will have varying veiws. IMO legends are players who played for the love of the club and not the money and gave 100% every game .Unfortunatly there are not too many of them around in todays game.

I agree totalyy..hence i say Ryan Giggs again :p

Exactly , players that have stayed with the club that gave them their break e.g Giggs , Scholes , Terry , Gerrard .

IMO Terry is not yet a legend although i've no doubt, in time, he will become one :thup:

At what point/ in your opinion, would a Terry/ Gerrard become a legend? IE... how many titles/champions leagues do they have to win an is this intwined with length of servive to there club?

Archived