Sudden AI free kick and goal

Does anybody else get this alot? The match clock ticks away then suddenly the 2D view shows an AI free kick on the edge of the area and they score. It happens once in about 5ish games to me. It is incredibly frustrating, it feels like the AI is just giving themselves a goal and it never happens in my favour.

It removes the realism of the game imo, makes the game stop being a representation/simulation of real life and turns it into me vs. AI.

(I understand that technically it is us vs. AI but it should feel like us vs. another manager/players)

Any thoughts?

I don't really understand what you're saying, if you're watching highlights, then it's a highlight isn't it :confused:

Is it because you don't see the build up to the event, and it jsut happens? If so, the build up probably isn't highlight worthy and you should be watching it in full match mode.

I don't really understand what you're saying, if you're watching highlights, then it's a highlight isn't it :confused:

Is it because you don't see the build up to the event, and it jsut happens? If so, the build up probably isn't highlight worthy and you should be watching it in full match mode.

I see what you are saying in general but shouldn't a free kick that leads to a goal include the build up particularly if it is a direct one in and around the box?

If you don't like it this way and want more realism then watch the full matches. Key highlights are just that, key highlights. Extended highlights or full matches will show more of the build up to these events.

As with above the point of the highlights setting is to facilitate the user so shouldn't it show the relevant build up? Personally I think it should as if the key setting shows the free kicks in and around the area that lead to a goal then it should also show you how you are conceeding them to facilitate the user.

I know the 'AI Cheating' connotations would generally make me more inclined to post defensively but I think in this case the lack of highlights for how the free kick was conceeded is a valid point.

Let me explain... it's just the fact the AI suddenly has a free kick right outside the area and they score, at times it feels like the AI is just giving itself a goal! I'd look at the player who scored and they'd have like 14 for free kicks/long shots (in 2033) :|

Sudden free kick-goals VERY rarely happen in my favour, in fact I can't score free kicks to save my life! My players always play it short so they can be closed down, or they cross it into no mans land easy for the keeper to pick up!

Come on there is no "Sudden Freekick", as you are playing on "extended" or "key" highlight, the game just didnt show how did your player foul and concede the freekick.....

And i do score many of my freekicks and concede very few of them. (Well, you can called them "sudden"......)

As a fact you might not notice yet, if you concede many "sudden" freekicks in your dangerous area, either your tactic fail or your defender being too aggressive and making non-necessary fouls.

If you really want to improve your game, try to watch a few games in full mode and take notes why did your player commit the fouls on those dangerous position, instead of making nonsense complain like this.

You can never find out 'why' a player commits a foul. It's just them not getting the ball in a challenge. My gripe is with the fact there's nothing, then a free kick, then a goal. It just frustrates me. Obviously it's something that never happens to you, maybe i'm in charge of a cursed club!

And yeah, IT'S MY TACTICS!

I cant understand why you cant find out why your player commit a foul?

1. Your defenders are out-numbers while under counter-attack

2. Your defender is out-speed by their attackers

3. The opponent is playing long ball and your defensive line is pushing too front.

4. They have very good dribbler and you are stupidly using hard tackle on them.

I can think of many more reason which force your defender to commit a foul in dangerous position.

However, you can keep denying these factors and claim the match engine give "Sudden Freekick" in advantage to AI to beat you. :D

I am sure there will still be many "sudden freekicks" for you in fm09, which only exist in your game.

I can understand his frustration. You automatically feel a little cheated when they get a free kick right on the edge of the box without any build up being shown. Particularly on extended highlights, I feel any move that leads to a foul on the edge of the box should be shown in the 2d engine. It's even more frustrating when it happens in a match where your opponent didn't manage a shot on goal or was anywhere near your goal for 85 minutes, and you only scored 1 goal in 20+ chances. Suddenly there's that free kick near the end of the game and you end up losing two points while you seemed to be in perfect control. You just have to take it, but it does feel a little unfair.

I'm sorry but why is the OP's point so difficult to understand?

Most of people in this thread have told him to stop whining and in fact it seems that they don't understand what he thinks is a problem. I totally agree that a build-up to any free kick on the edge of the box should be shown in key highlights (at least to help the user). It rarely happens to me but I can easily imagine how deeply annoying it must be!

Let me explain... it's just the fact the AI suddenly has a free kick right outside the area and they score, at times it feels like the AI is just giving itself a goal!
The AI doesn't "give itself a goal". There is an AI manager who has the same amount or less control over the result as you do. There is the ME, which is completely impartial and doesn't tell the difference between the AI team and the human team (or even if there is a human involved.) The ME can't give itself a goal, because it is a calculator, and the AI can't because it is a manager.

The "sudden free kick" thing used to happen in my favour a lot when I watched in key highlights.How often does this actually happen? Has it only happened, say, three times, and you've just noticed those three? Therefore you think it happens all the time, as is the way of the human brain?

The "sudden free kick" thing used to happen in my favour a lot when I watched in key highlights.How often does this actually happen? Has it only happened, say, three times, and you've just noticed those three? Therefore you think it happens all the time, as is the way of the human brain?

The point is it shouldn't happen at all. How can a foul on the edge of the box not be a highlight, especially if you have it on extended? What conclusions can you make when all you see is AI scoring a free kick out of the blue?

I don't think the thread starter is actually suggesting the AI cheats. He's just pointing out what he sees as a flaw with how the game works.

Archived