Help me stop a transfer

cja

My team, Derby, has some very promising young players (I only buy young players - trying to do a Wenger). My evil chairman has accepted a £9m bid from Barcelona for one of them, an attacking midfielder called Joao Carlos. There is no _way_ Carlos is worth that little.

I was in the unpatched FM08 when the bid was accepted. I had a look at the list of changes for 8.0.2 and see that the decision to accept the bid may have been caused by a bug that has now been fixed. I've updated to 8.0.2 and have downloaded some editors, but none of them seem to have the option to cancel the transfer.

Please can someone help me?

This sort of thing will still happen in 8.0.2, but not as frequently. Has the player accepted a contract with Barca? If not and he's still considering, you could offer him a new contract and he may pick that one over the Barca one, unlikely though :(

This sort of thing will still happen in 8.0.2, but not as frequently. Has the player accepted a contract with Barca? If not and he's still considering, you could offer him a new contract and he may pick that one over the Barca one, unlikely though :(

Definitely would rather play for Derby than Barca :D

Exactly what i would have said.

My team, Derby, has some very promising young players (I only buy young players - trying to do a Wenger). My evil chairman has accepted a £9m bid from Barcelona for one of them, an attacking midfielder called Joao Carlos. There is no _way_ Carlos is worth that little.

I was in the unpatched FM08 when the bid was accepted. I had a look at the list of changes for 8.0.2 and see that the decision to accept the bid may have been caused by a bug that has now been fixed. I've updated to 8.0.2 and have downloaded some editors, but none of them seem to have the option to cancel the transfer.

Go to the transfer center in the game an reject the offer. Silly workaround, but that actually works for me in 8.0.2... a bid accepted by your chairman can be rejected using transfer center. I do not recall at what point in the negotiations i rejected (bid, contract etc.) however you can try that yourself.

offer him to other clubs for nothing hoping he accepts their offer then reject the deal

Wow, I didn't know you can use the transfer centre to cheat around your chairman's decision. At least this cheat is working only if after the game has cheated you first :D

Otherwise there is no option to reject offers which have been accepted already. If you patch the game, the board will not re-evaluate all accepted offers and then change decisions which were different pre-patch. (:D - I just imagine my chairman to be patched and then handle things differntly than before)

Wow, I didn't know you can use the transfer centre to cheat around your chairman's decision. At least this cheat is working only if after the game has cheated you first :D

Otherwise there is no option to reject offers which have been accepted already. If you patch the game, the board will not re-evaluate all accepted offers and then change decisions which were different pre-patch. (:D - I just imagine my chairman to be patched and then handle things differntly than before)

Yearr, you actually can cheat the game. I guess its a bug... wonder if its fixed for FM09?

*shhh..lets not tell SI* ;)

Another way to cheat is to add another user and make him manager of Barca.

That way the transfer will be cancelled as the manager has changed.

As much as it pains me to help out the sheep.

......transfer center is a bit easier i would argue :)

Yearr, you actually can cheat the game. I guess its a bug... wonder if its fixed for FM09?

*shhh..lets not tell SI* ;)

If it hasn't been fixed for fm2009 then it soon will be since you saw fit to mention it.:D

Thank you everyone. Shall try the transfer centre. If that fails then I'll just let it go through and hope the chairman will make better decisions in future.

(He's not even consistent - he let me buy Lulinha for £37m a week previously and Carlos is almost as good. I'd rather have Carlos and £37m than Lulinha and £9m.)

The most stupid aspect of chairmen accepting bids is that if you have 100% transfer revenue they just give you all the money to spend on whoever you want, which makes a total mockery of their statement that the offer was too good to refuse.

You can understand it if the player is unhappy (ala robbie keane and berbatov)

Accepting a high offer for a player that is being a pain in the arse at the club, but not some rising star that hasnt expressed a desire to leave.

That aspect needs to be fixed or at least give the manager a bit more say in the matter, ie chairman is undermining my role i will have to reconsider the managers role or at least the start of season expectations, for instance if the chairman sells a certain player the manager needs he should lower his expectations from say title winners to european qualification or something along those lines

The feature should remain, but there should be more interraction between chairman and manager. EG:

"I'm thinking of accepting this offer; what are your plans for this player?"

"Although he's only 19, I see him as an integral part of the team/WILL be an integral part of the team next season / is a good player but the money looks good."

The chairman could then base his decision on your response.

OR...

The chairman accepts your offer, but you should have the option to talk to the player, eg, "You'll be a big fish in a small pond here at Derby AND/OR look, we're in 2nd place; we're on the up / We'll double your wages at the end of the season / wait until the end of the season to sign / you've still got a lot to learn and you're better off here / you won't get a game at Barca..." and so on.

Cos I'm sure someone would say the same about seeing them go. Football is like that, players come and go, it's no longer a case of staying at a club until you retire unless you happen to be Ryan Giggs or John Terry. I give you another example, Rio Ferdinand, the club had to sell (financially striken) but the manager didn't want him to go.

Trust me, £9m is _seriously_ cheap for Joao Carlos. Quick, creative, flair, dribbles, shoots, tackles, work rate, everything. Two offside goals in our last match, a 2-0 friendly win over a full strength Milan.

Has anyone tried buying the player back, ie. if Derby sell Joao Carlos for £9 million, after he goes, straight away put in a bid for him, for lets say £20 million, if your chairman allows you to do this, then it's a crock of s**t...... 1st of july 'The chairman has accepted the offer on your behalf, stating the offer was too good to turn down', 2nd of july 'Derby are looking to smash their transfer record with a £20 million bid for Joao Carlos, Carlos who played for Derby before moving to Barcelona could be tempted to return to the club he holds, etc, etc, ..... I haven't tried it myself but, I reckon you would be able to make the bid, utterly unrealistic

Archived