FM 2009 and WSM...

thanks mate. hated getting WSM.

file names were different, requiring different patches. Scout programs wouldn't work looking for FM.exe instead of WSM.exe. it was just a pain all around.

Well, Im sure you could get it from steam?

I think the only difference is the language used in the game.

In WWSM, football=soccer etc.

Isn't there a language pack

I live in the U.S. and searching Steam for Football Manager only results in WWSM 2009, not FM09. It looks like they offer the version according to your location.

This is true, I could only find the same thing last year on Steam.

There was a thread on this same topic just a couple of days ago, I'm not sure where it's sank to, though. I feel more and more scared to commit to WWSM everytime I read more. I'd really like to, as one person said (and this makes perfect sense), that the more WWSM sells, the more time, effort, and energy will go into recreating football in North America as a whole in the game. My biggest scare is whether network games will work.

I live in the U.S. and searching Steam for Football Manager only results in WWSM 2009, not FM09. It looks like they offer the version according to your location.

Really? I'm in the UK but everthing on Steam has to be bought in dollars, but FM09 is advertised as Football Manager 2009 nt WWSM 09. What i'm getting at is isn't steam the same in every country?

I would second that. I just posted the question in steam thread about whether they will patch WSM same time as FM. I dont use 3rd party stuff so i am less concerned about that but i would still pay double to get the patches on time rather than month or two late.

I cant get to FM on steam either (i am in Canada).

well that stinks....redirects me to WSM ...the same url i posted.

SI PLEASE KILL WSM and just go with FM for where ever its being sold. Most of the people here are either ex-pats like myself that have always called it football, or real fans of the sport and know that the rest of the world calls it football.

SI PLEASE KILL WSM and just go with FM for where ever its being sold. Most of the people here are either ex-pats like myself that have always called it football, or real fans of the sport and know that the rest of the world calls it football.

because steam detects your location both program and store

It's great that someone who's been a member of the forum all of two days has the clarity to speak for all U.S.-based fans of the game.

used the proxy changer and it worked as far as loading page goes. Would have to install steam to preorder. not sure if that could be fooled too. haven't tried it and probably will not :)

on a side note, on steam, FM costs 50 dollars in UK compared to 30 dollars for WSM in the US. regional pricing differences quite a few people seem to be complaining about in the steam thread. now I get what akaz meant about paying full price. I guess people can always get the boxed version like before like someone mentioned pre-ordering FM from gogamer.com (a US website) for 28 dollars and 5 dollar 3-day shipping or something like that.

What is all this hate towards WWSM. You have the UK language pack, at least you did in 07 and 08. I have never had an issue using 3rd party tools or getting skins and kits for the game. It helps grow the American market. Just because the box says "Soccer" doesnt mean its a different game. I just don't get the hate towards the same game yet a different name.

The UK language pack is great and is definitely one of the first things I set up, but starting with 08 I did have all kinds of problems with 3rd party add ons. It seemed like it became more than just renaming something from fm.xxx to wsm.xxx starting with 08.

I'm certainly not saying there is anything inherently wrong with having a WSM version, but for me, I want the FM version.

Here is a quick question....if you live in the USA, for example, and buy FM09 from a distributor in England and have it shipped to you, will you have problems with Steam when it detects FM09 - but checks your IP for location and sees that you have the 'wrong' version for your location?

The major problem with WSM as opposed to FM is that the patches come out quite a bit later.

I have WWSM 2008 d'load version from Boonty. Patches came out the same day as FM last year. Now if you don't like to use torrent then finding a mirror was harder to do, not surprising.

• 2 weeks later...
I have WWSM 2008 d'load version from Boonty. Patches came out the same day as FM last year. Now if you don't like to use torrent then finding a mirror was harder to do, not surprising.

Can anyone else confirm this? I have heard that WWSM patches are later than FM patches and despite several posts with this topic SI has not confirmed that patches will be at same time. Already the demo for WWSM is a week later than FM demo.

I know i can download the FM demo in NA (though STEAM is not showing the FM demo yet so probably i will have to use some other way) but still it indicates that stuff for WWSM may come later.

And compatibility with third party add ons can be a problem too.

Akaz

PS. Does the proxy masking thing work for steam? to me its appears to work for web surfing only

I have only recently moved to Canada so this is the first time in which i have had to really think about how i was gonna get the game. now i keep hearing people moan about WWSM and the only real problems I can figure out are that unofficial patches and addons dont work (this doesnt really bother me as i like to stick to the offical updates anyway) and that patches have been released later than on FM, is this second one true and if so how much later do they come out.

However the game is cheaper than in the UK so I may just got for it anyway.

Can anyone else confirm this? I have heard that WWSM patches are later than FM patches and despite several posts with this topic SI has not confirmed that patches will be at same time. Already the demo for WWSM is a week later than FM demo.

I know i can download the FM demo in NA (though STEAM is not showing the FM demo yet so probably i will have to use some other way) but still it indicates that stuff for WWSM may come later.

And compatibility with third party add ons can be a problem too.

Akaz

PS. Does the proxy masking thing work for steam? to me its appears to work for web surfing only

Well I had WWSM 2006 and the patches were indeed later than FM patches. Didn't buy 07 so can't comment on that.

I agree though that a lack of comment from SI and the WWSM demo being a week later does raise concerns for me too.

i had lots of trouble with WWSM08 and patches. Ended up getting one of my family bringing over FM08 for me after a bit. With digital distribution i don't understand why they don't just let you pick the version you want. I'll pay the difference between WWSM09 and FM09. Hell i'd pay even more than they are charging people in Europe for it. I just don't want WWSM09 but it looks like I'm going to have to do the same thing again as i did with 08 if i want to play it on release day.

As for calling it WWSM growing it in the US market as I've stated before everyone that plays or would be attracted to this game pretty much realizes that the rest of the world calls it football and its done ******** all to increasing the US market just frustrated a lot of the people here that would prefer to have the FM version available to them.

Tried the proxy thing and it does not work. I dont use the unofficial add ons either. But i am a relatively new player (o8 was the first year that i really got hooked) tried 07 and droped after a couple of hours. same with CM game back in 1998. played it a few hours and gave up. But for some reason with 08 i really got hooked and usually with the games i get hooked i try mods too so i would like that option.

Late patches also bother me.

Akaz

Archived