• SI Staff

We've just announced that FM09 & WWSM09 will this year be available via Steam, as well as standard retail, day and date with the retail release.

For those who buy the boxed copy of the game, they will still be able to use Steams services, such as instant patching...

http://www.sigames.com/news.php?type=view&article_id=1304

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick question, say for instance you already have a Steam Account, if I used that account with a bouight fm2009, and say I am banned on CS:S will this mean I am banned from playing online on fm2009? A friend of mine got banned on CSS via steam id and he can no longer play any online game that he has through steam, this includes day of defeat source and other games, will this be the same for fm2009?

Edit: btw he was banned for downloading gun models, one had an edited data file in it which allowed the gun to shoot at a different rate, VAC banned him thinking he was cheating with it.

• SI Staff
Just a quick question, say for instance you already have a Steam Account, if I used that account with a bouight fm2009, and say I am banned on CS:S will this mean I am banned from playing online on fm2009? A friend of mine got banned on CSS via steam id and he can no longer play any online game that he has through steam, this includes day of defeat source and other games, will this be the same for fm2009?

I presume that those games servers are being hosted by Steam? FM09's online capabilities, as per previous years, is hosted by one of the people playing, so I doubt that would be an issue.

Well for people like me sitting in India it might be a better option than ordering it off Amazon and waiting 2 weeks for it to get delivered.

Only thing is though that I have both a Mac and a PC (although I play more on the Mac). Will the downloaded version be playable on both platforms?

• SI Staff

It's just choice, Ben - some people prefer digital downloads. Others live in countries where the game is not available, and as long as Steam is available there, will be able to purchase the game without importing.

As is said in the press release, you'll still be able to use Steams patching and other services with the boxed release too.

• SI Staff
Well for people like me sitting in India it might be a better option than ordering it off Amazon and waiting 2 weeks for it to get delivered.

Only thing is though that I have both a Mac and a PC (although I play more on the Mac). Will the downloaded version be playable on both platforms?

Steam is PC only, Karan. There will be a Mac digital download option (not through Steam), but it would be a seperate purchase.

Edit: btw he was banned for downloading gun models, one had an edited data file in it which allowed the gun to shoot at a different rate, VAC banned him thinking he was cheating with it.

You will not get banned from playing FM09 on steam.

The reason your mate cant get on day of defeat and other games is because there all games made by valve and its his steam id that has got banned, for cheating and using a wallhack.

Vac picked this up and banned his Steam ID to any valve made game ie CSS, DOD, TF2 and so on.

any none valve game will be ok :thup:

• SI Staff
If i order from steam will i'm assuming it will give me FM09 not wwsm or w/e it is?

and can any one give me an indication as to how big the file will be?

cheers

I would presume that whichever you order is the one that you'd get - there should be seperate ordering thingies for WWSM and FM at a guess. No idea whether Steam is region coded or anything though.

As for file size, it'll likely be a few GB. We won't know the final size til we've mastered, but I'd guess at somewhere between 2 & 4GB.

On the vat issue its 50 dollars + 8.75 dollars = 58.75 dollars which is aproximately 33 pounds

Thanks for clearing that up - they do add VAT afterwards, as that's the way sales happen in the US (it's price + local sales tax)

What's the deal with online downloading? Do you only get to download it one time? What if you want it on your PC & laptop? What if internet cuts out during download? What if you accidentally wipe it off your harddrive in a few months' time or you get a virus and need to format you computer? Will you still be able to download this again?

• SI Staff
Will normal patching services be available for those of us who prefer not to use Steam?

What do you mean by "normal patching services", VonBlade?

What's the deal with online downloading? Do you only get to download it one time? What if you want it on your PC & laptop? What if internet cuts out during download? What if you accidentally wipe it off your harddrive in a few months' time or you get a virus and need to format you computer? Will you still be able to download this again?

I suggest you have a look at Steams website and FAQ, as it's them that you would be buying from. I've never had a problem re-downloading files from them.

Once u buy a file to ur steam account it is there for life no matter how many times you reformat etc you will be able to download it again and if your internet cuts out half way through a download you will be able to resume the download from where every you were before your net cut out.

gonna have to stop refreshing this page now :p

Its a good idea and would purchase that way as prefer playing through steam as you dont have to worry what the kids have done with the cd thats why i play tf2 so much but the price is too much. today $49.99 is £30 exchange rate without the taxes i can preorder is for £25 from shopto

Just looked its $58.76 with taxes which £33.56

• SI Staff
Guess he means will we still be able to get the patch directly via this site, partners sites and/or torrent

Definitely torrent, and if we can snaffle enough bandwidth, download too. The quickest and easiest way to patch the game will be via STEAM though.

Mac patches will have to be available via normal methods anyway, as STEAM isn't Mac...

A couple of questions:

Do SI get a higher proportion of a sale on Steam than through normal retail? Or is that just for Valve's own games?

Will using FM09 with Steam interfere with using 3rd party apps like Genie Scout and fan made add-ons like badge kits etc?

• SI Staff
Am I going wrong somewhere with steam as I can only see a price in dollars while yes I can convert would be nice to see it pounds is there not an option somewhere?

Steam prices are only in $'s.

A couple of questions:

Do SI get a higher proportion of a sale on Steam than through normal retail? Or is that just for Valve's own games?

Will using FM09 with Steam interfere with using 3rd party apps like Genie Scout and fan made add-ons like badge kits etc?

1) Steam buy the game from Sega at a price, and set their price off the back of that, the same way as any other retailer would do.

2) It would be down to the 3rd party app makes to make the game compatible, in the same way that they'll have to do work to make them compatible with FM09. We do not provide tech support for those apps, the people who make them would offer that.

Will it be necessary to install Steam if you buy the boxed retail game?

No, but patching and getting updates will be a lot quicker if you do.

2) It would be down to the 3rd party app makes to make the game compatible, in the same way that they'll have to do work to make them compatible with FM09. We do not provide tech support for those apps, the people who make them would offer that.

I'm thinking more in terms of if Steam will obfuscate or otherwise restrict access and modification to the game files, or will the installation look just the same as from a disc?

What do you mean by "normal patching services", VonBlade?

Erm. You know, like it's always been. Download a patch from a site or via the SI torrents. Apply it to the game.

Wasn't too sure how I managed to inject some ambiguity into my post, but apologies for that.

Perhaps my acerbic nature leads people to assume I'm being obstreperous when I'm not.

Good news for Windows users! I may just buy it via Steam if I still used Windows - I'm now a Mac user :D

About the demo though, if it's being distributed via Steam, how will Mac users get their hands on it? Or will that be another download?

Erm. You know, like it's always been. Download a patch from a site or via the SI torrents. Apply it to the game.

Wasn't too sure how I managed to inject some ambiguity into my post, but apologies for that.

Perhaps my acerbic nature leads people to assume I'm being obstreperous when I'm not.

I don't think I have ever seen before such a shocking grasp of grammar in one post.

Awesome :D

Being the lazy bastard that I am I have purchased on Steam. TBH there is no need for a box unless you specifially want one to sit on yer desk while you play. Digital distibution is the way forward for everything IMO. Also makes its slightly harder for the pirates to get their hands on it as well

If i play FM09 through Steam, is it saving my save games locally?

Maybe a stupid question, but i will be absolute sure :)

Anyway, if not, as it probably is, is there anyone who know a good way to sync saved games between a Vista and a XP? Please pm me then..

Archived