FM2009 On Steam - Online Play?!

I just got the email regarding FM2009 been available on steam and when you visit the steam page for FM2009 it says that FM2009 is multi-player on steam, does this mean that online play will be through steam?! If so this would be an awesome feature, can someone confirm this one way or the other :D

Thanks

i would have thought it would be the same kinda thing as fm2008 tbh, which can also be played as a multi-player game online...

but not through a dedicated server like Steam.

It will make clan games so much easier if you can do it through Steam.

Thats what I was thinking, I always seem to have problems with FM online, either due to network issues or just generally not been smart enough to make it work properly :p

If people could connect through steam with each other and play against other then this would be the bomb!

What is steam ?

Is it a site where you download FM09 instead of buying it boxed ? Or is it a website where you can play FM09 anytime , anywhere ?

It's an application that you download, which runs in your system tray and allows you to have friends, download games, list and join available servers etc

It first came out with Counter Strike, which is of course mainly online so suits well, it will be interesting to see how it goes for FM.

I think i will stick with the boxed version , What the advantages/disadvantages of buying the boxed version/using stream ?

steam:

- get it straight away

- little hassle i guess

box

- nice manual and case :)

- must wait longer likely

- no download require as per stream, potentially 2-4GB

- you can still use steam with the boxed version for patches (quicker apparently)

- may be cheaper than what steam are selling it for

steam:

- get it straight away

- little hassle i guess

box

- nice manual and case :)

- must wait longer likely

- no download require as per stream, potentially 2-4GB

- you can still use steam with the boxed version for patches (quicker apparently)

- may be cheaper than what steam are selling it for

Box

- Far cheaper (17 pounds pre order from the hut including delivery)

- Probably get it 1 or 2 days before release date

- No Steam client needed, so no 3rd party app in the background monitoring what your doing and advertisingf when u close it down/start it up

- manual and case rather than a pdf or notepad manual on screen, so u can read and play without printing off reems of paper

-

Steam normally allow preloads, so you can download the game before release day and then it gets activated at the appropriate time. Whether you'll be able to do this with FM though, I don't know.

There's a 48 hour pre-load before it's unlocked at 9am GMT on release day.

Archived