FM for the Over 60's!

I have been reading a thread regarding players in their 20s & 30s were discussing whether they were too old to play FM. As I am 69 this year and have been playing for 10 years, I thought it would be interesting to find out the opinion of anyone over 60 regarding playing this fantastic game.

As I have explained to my wife, I don't condisder FM a game in the normal sense. It's more like a hobby with me as I consider serious STATEGY games in a different leaque to normal games. The only two that I have played are Civilization and CM/FM and have really enjoyed both. I can't wait for FM09 - which I think will be fantastic.

As FM (and the PC) were not available in the 60s or 70s, I consider it as a retirement perk - being able to play fm just about whenever I feel like it without having to worry about taking the odd week off work!

Finally, I just wondered how many other souls like myself (over 60) play FM. I didn't stop becoming a football supporter at 60 and now find it hard to imagine life without my FM!

Good for you jbrowes, it beats bowls ;)

I don't think there will be too many people anywhere near your age playing the game, in 20-30 years time there will be a whole generation of 60 year olds who spend their retirement playing games :D

I think it's indeed more like a hobby and I would compare it with a flight simulator. The only difference is that I don't feel the need to built a real dugout while I have seen pilots in real cockpits "playing" flight sim.

Good for you jbrowes, it beats bowls ;)

I don't think there will be too many people anywhere near your age playing the game, in 20-30 years time there will be a whole generation of 60 year olds who spend their retirement playing games :D

Well I supose bowls offers fresh air, but not everyone is fully mobile. But then most things have ups and downs.

Playing FM has probably not been good for my eyes but a couple of years ago I had prostrate cancer and had radiotherapy daily for six weeks and playing FM certainly helped take my mind off things during the uncertain period of whether all would be well or not.

As their are thousands of over 60s lefetime football suporters, I am somewhat surprised they have not discovered FM - after all, just about everyone uses a pc these days including retired people. Perhaps SI should make a 'Special Offer' of FM half price to get more retired playing this terrific game!

I think it's great you're playing the game in your retirement. I guess some people might be jealous that you have all day every day to play it, when the wife isn't dragging you down the shops of course ;) I'm self-employed so work from home, I can tell you - sometimes the temptation is huge to spend the afternoon playing FM, but I manage to control myself.

I think it's great you're playing the game in your retirement. I guess some people might be jealous that you have all day every day to play it, when the wife isn't dragging you down the shops of course ;) I'm self-employed so work from home, I can tell you - sometimes the temptation is huge to spend the afternoon playing FM, but I manage to control myself.

Luckily my wife prefers to shop without me and is fully occupied with the family, also I have a small study with everything I need including Sky TV as I like to watch most of the televised games. She hates football and prefers things like 'Come Dancing, East Enders, Neighbours etc.' so is quite happy in the lounge with her 38" HD TV.

I get a bit of fresh air walking the dog and in the garden - but spend most of the day in my study.

I am surprised not to hear from any other over 60s that play FM.

I have often thought about if I will be playing FM 2038 when I am 60 and to be honest I definately think I will be. I have been playing games since I was around 7 years old so why stop. Just think how good FM 2038 will be - and maybe by then they could release the game bug free!!

I'm sure there are more over 60s that play FM, but I wouldn't be too sure that they visit and post in the forums. Remember that the people in the forums are just a small minority of FM players.

I think it's great you love FM and I'll be waiting to hear your opinion about FM09. Have fun!

I'm a sprightly 49 year old who has been playing since CM93 wehn I bought my first PC. I introduced my dad to the game when he retired about 10 years back and bought himself a machine. When he shuffled off this mortal coil to join the great bench in the sky last year aged 76, I found when I was going through his files on the PC, a CM4 game he was playing only a few days before.

I have been reading a thread regarding players in their 20s & 30s were discussing whether they were too old to play FM. As I am 69 this year and have been playing for 10 years, I thought it would be interesting to find out the opinion of anyone over 60 regarding playing this fantastic game.

As I have explained to my wife, I don't condisder FM a game in the normal sense. It's more like a hobby with me as I consider serious STATEGY games in a different leaque to normal games. The only two that I have played are Civilization and CM/FM and have really enjoyed both. I can't wait for FM09 - which I think will be fantastic.

As FM (and the PC) were not available in the 60s or 70s, I consider it as a retirement perk - being able to play fm just about whenever I feel like it without having to worry about taking the odd week off work!

Finally, I just wondered how many other souls like myself (over 60) play FM. I didn't stop becoming a football supporter at 60 and now find it hard to imagine life without my FM!

Thats brilliant, I'm 33 and if i tell my wife i'll still be playing when i'm 69, she will bloody freak :D

she sees the game as competitor for attention you see!

jbrowes:

thankyou, you've put a smile on my face today.

oh, and also...

Luckily my wife prefers to shop without me and is fully occupied with the family, also I have a small study with everything I need including Sky TV as I like to watch most of the televised games. She hates football and prefers things like 'Come Dancing, East Enders, Neighbours etc.' so is quite happy in the lounge with her 38" HD TV.

I get a bit of fresh air walking the dog and in the garden - but spend most of the day in my study.

do you want to swap lives by any chance? :D

being able to play fm just about whenever I feel like it without having to worry about taking the odd week off work!

I've never been so envious of a 60+ year old man before...your living the dream jbrowes, living the dream.

I'm "only" 55, but my main problem is trying to find time for FM AND FML.

And my wife? She's been watching me play CM/FM for however many years now ... a dozen? ... and while she couldn't care less about the game, just seeing it on the screen must have made an impact on her ... she was impressed by the 3D engine, saying with surprise "Is that what I think it is????"

Out of my immediate family, only my granddad and brother have any interest in football. My brother (16) plays FM whenever he can and my grandad (67) recently got into it. He came across one day and saw the game loaded up on brother's laptop and had a go. Although he lost 4-0 I could see his pupils dilate (which I took as a sign of euphoria) and his eyes sparkle. I gave him a copy of the game and told him to install it on his computer. I don't know if he did but he stil has my game! He's probably addicted to it by now.

Mr. Browes, you take the biscuit. I'm a mere sprightly 47, kind of semi-retired to the tropics where I can enjoy uninterrupted FM campaigns, wall-to-wall live EPL coverage for free - either at home or in bars stacked with beautiful young women to distract me, and basically pity the poor young whipper-snappers who think FM is a kids' game. Life is GOOD being old! ;):cool::D

Hi Mr Browes,

You are an inspiration to us young "whippersnappers" I am only 49 and just picked up on FM last year (so still trying out things) although I get to play a lot as I am disabled like yourself & my wife nearly understands!!! Civilization was my main game up to that point.

Keep up the good work

I started playing CM3 when I was 21/22 or so and I had more time then as I was a student. Once I started working, I did find it harder to justify playing all night games! I have a vague memory of spending one night trying to get my team to the cup final, then bleary eyed going to a lecture at 9am. No wonder I got a desmond.

An interesting subject. I know of quite a few competitive FPS gamers over 50 years old, so I'd imagine that there'd be quite a bit more playing casually. Now the facts that the type of game that FM is caters more to casual play and that FM kinda happens to be about football seem reason enough for me to assume that it should have a relatively higher amount of older players than your average shooter.

Forums are almost never a proper representation of the user base as a whole though.

jbrowes:

thankyou, you've put a smile on my face today.

oh, and also...

do you want to swap lives by any chance? :D

Mr. Browes, you take the biscuit. I'm a mere sprightly 47, kind of semi-retired to the tropics where I can enjoy uninterrupted FM campaigns, wall-to-wall live EPL coverage for free - either at home or in bars stacked with beautiful young women to distract me, and basically pity the poor young whipper-snappers who think FM is a kids' game. Life is GOOD being old! ;):cool::D

I would say "We share the biscuit."

I've never been so envious of a 60+ year old man before...your living the dream jbrowes, living the dream.

I wouldn't be envious - just imagine how technology will have advanced and how better the game will be when you retire.

You will probally be having live conversations with your players and giving live team talks plus goodness knows what other wonderful advances the game will have made in the future. How would you see the game in say, 10 years?

Dont usually post in the " what age are FM gamers" threads but felt that this one at least deserved a reply- Not as old as the OP but over 60 here and have been playing since my son got me into it about 10 years ago. Being retired, I play more than he does and my good wife tolerates it as it stops me from spending money and going out ( she plays solitaire all day anyway!). I have been a football fanatic since I was 4 and also do not consider this as a game but more of a hobby, which happily is cheaper than most other hobbies

good for you jb! i was beginning to feel like an oldster at 35. ill definately be still playing & moaning about FM (if its still going) when i retire. as for the future of the game, it hasnt really changed all that much since when i first played it on the amiga many years ago. i definately think that 3D is the future though. despite what the fans of 'the blobs' think. the best addition to the game since its first guise for me has to be the players pictures. a cosmetic addition but it gives the game a more 'human' quality and gets it away from its spreadsheet roots.

I am 35 and i cannot see me stopping playing this type of game in the near future. At least it is a game that i can beat the young whipper snappers at and you don`t need reflexes like a 12 year old

I agree as the older one gets the more it becomes a hobby and therefore lots of time to plan for each game. I read here of many younger players who seem to be in some sort of race to get through each season as quick a possible. I just enjoy taking my time over all aspects of the game.

Fairplay Mr Browes, my grandad who is around your age plays Risk, Golf and various card games on his PC.

Your thread makes me look forward to retirement even more (i'm only 19), all i'll be doing with my spare time is playing FM, going to my local and going down the bookies. Sweet.

When you reach retirement age please send me an email - It would be great to know how things are going!

First i just want to say it's awesome that so called "older" people play this game and others. It's not like computers should be for 14-25 year olds and I think the gaming industry is neglecting the older people alot.

The question I was gonna shoot in here was that, do yall choose your real age in the game and does it ever retire you or anything if you play long enough?

I always set my age at 45 and an ex player, just in case clubs/countries would not want a 69 year-old manager. Not sure the game bothers about age, so just play it safe. It also makes ME feel younger as I also use a photo (taken 20 years ago!) Not absolutely sure the game would retire you tho - due of age.

What i enjoy the most is things like... last night: GERMANY - RUSSIA, and on German TV they were commenting on how the russian GK (Akinfeev) was going to have a bright future ahead of him... my wife was like... never heard of him... and i told my wife smthg like: thats nothing new to me, I have known him for years, and in the FM game he always had a great potential!! lol

Im 31 and its basically the only game (dont even like to call it a game) that i play... and have played for years now!! Will probably be with it forever!!

I love the space inbetween matches, where its processing information, always gives me a chance to do other (boring) things with an objective in mind: Let me finish this, so i can get back to the match... in the meantime i allready figured the right tactic out!! lol

Know how board games always boats that they're "fun for everyone aged 8-80"? Well I always thought that was stupid, but now I have proof that FM actually can say that. Well, ok, there's been no 80 year olds posting, but just because they don't post doesn't mean they don't play. I'm only 16 so to imagine myself playing FM when I'm jbrowes age is kind of difficult... by that time we'll be on FM61 =O

Have you heard of Cryopreservation? Maybe your wife can keep you in the freezer next to the peas and tell your grandsons to thaw you out when FM2061 is released. :D

I struggle enough to keep up with today's technology - So goodness knows what I would make of FM2061! I think I'll settle for FM09 and (hopefully) the next few versions following that.

Archived