Can we please play as real-life manager in FM09?

I would like to see an option that when you add a manager, if you add the name, date of birth and nationality of an existing manager you can 'adopt' his profile, reputation points, liked/disliked personnel and all relevant personality/professional traits.

Thus, I would like to take Arsene Wenger away from Arsenal to Club x, so when I add a manager as Arsene Wenger, it thus removes him from Arsenal manager and his profile becomes my profile... Would make media arguments and short-term games much more fun!

hell no.... the whole idea of the game is to take over a team and make it "yours". every football fan i know will tell you after a defeat, that he/she could do better than the current manager, and fm is all about giving you that chance. why you would want to take over as anyone else is beyond me. the arguments etc develop over time, and some of them start as soon as you take over, depending on which club you're at.

People seem to miss the point that no matter what SI did, you still wouldn't be playing as those managers. SI can code in as much about their character traits and tactical personalities as we realistically know, and when they're AI-controlled, they will always act within those parameters. But if you have a human-controlled Arsene Wenger, you're not being Arsene Wenger. You're just doing your best to manage in his style so as not to make yourself an unrealistic Arsene Wenger.

i like the idea actually.

its like a cheat code. like before you could type your manager name as something and you got extra stuff or something.

obviously your not going to play like wenger if you take his profile but you will get his reputation. you will get his knowledge. and they may give you a slightly different play than if you started off as a nobody.

I guess it could do for some people... But FM is about starting a manager career and becoming the greatest manager in history, so I really wouldn't find any use for this option. I think that only very few would play like this, so it's not likely to be implemented ever.

Not for me. Don't really see the point.

I quite like the idea, but think that if you choose to use it you must start out at the club the manager is currently at. It's then up to you if you want to look for a job at another club.

And to avoid the problem brought up earlier about it possibly affecting people with the same name, dob etc (as unlikely as that is) it should just be something like a 'start as real manager' option during the setup of a new game.

Like may things, if it's an option then I think it can only add to the game and widen its appeal.

EDIT: Thinking about this more it could be expanded on to provide an excellent alternative to difficulty levels for those struggling with the game. As well as having the managers reputation and that kind off thing he could also be pre-loaded with a preferred tactic and some preferred training schedules. That way a player who is frustrated and just wants a quick game where they can have a good starting point to learn from can use this option. It's not something I would use but it could have its advantages for struggling players.

The is a half way solution to this.

As most managers are ex players, and you have an option to select what reputation you start with (ex internation etc) you should be able to select 4 or 5 clubs that you might have played for and which postion you played and how many caps you had.

the game could then generate a decent profile, number of league titel won etc.

for example

Reading have appointed ex England Midfielder as there new manager.

Blackbag stated his playing career at Luton town before joining Aston Villa, from there he moved to Man Utd winning 3 league titles and 1 FA Cup winners medal before ending his career in Italy with Juventus.

Blackbag represented England 54 times and was consider one of Englands finest midfielders and has a great relationship with the media

The is a half way solution to this.

As most managers are ex players, and you have an option to select what reputation you start with (ex internation etc) you should be able to select 4 or 5 clubs that you might have played for and which postion you played and how many caps you had.

for example

Blackbag stated his playing career at Luton town before joining Aston Villa, from there he moved to Man Utd winning 3 league titles and 1 FA Cup winners medal before ending his career in Italy with Juventus.

Blackbag represented England 54 times and was consider one of Englands finest midfielders and has a great relationship with the media

I like the sound of actually having a playing career (which could be randomly generated or manually picked) that would enhance things like media relationships and those with other managers. However as much as I like that I would still want to play as me and see my achievements/failures in lights and not with someone elses' name.

he is a half way solution to this.

for example

I think thats a great idea....Just doesnt seem right that u choose ex international and u never had any caps :(

Archived