Too old for Foot Man

I've been told i'm too old to still be "playing football games on the computer". I'm 26. Anyone else been told nonsense like this???. I remember years ago my little brothers mate told me how he cant play champ man anymore cos his dad was never off the pc playing it himself. It stuck in my head him telling me that and years later when i heard his mum and dad got seperated i thought to myself i bet his parents had manys an argument over champ man (they were split by the time FM arrived on the scene;))

According to other threads about age of people playing fm. There are 60 year old people playing the game. So what? I think there are still a lot of old timers around like me, we all know the game since the beginning - and you can't be 20 if you are one of us.

I'm 23 and no one's said it to me yet. When they do, I will respectfully disagree with them and continue to play. A bit of escapism is important in life and at least your brain gets a bit of a workout. Can't say that if you're vegging out in front of Coronation Street!

25....and still going strong!

My mates and I were having a little reminisce the other day though, thinking back to when Champ Man Italian Version was released. We practically ran to buy it, and spent the duration of the journey home discussing who we would be and who we would buy and sell! Many a great deal was brokered on that walk home.

I wish life was still that simple...

I've been told i'm too old to still be "playing football games on the computer". I'm 26. Anyone else been told nonsense like this???. I remember years ago my little brothers mate told me how he cant play champ man anymore cos his dad was never off the pc playing it himself. It stuck in my head him telling me that and years later when i heard his mum and dad got seperated i thought to myself i bet his parents had manys an argument over champ man (they were split by the time FM arrived on the scene;))

lol i'm 16 and my mum is already saying it! probably as i keep spending her money on games lol

I am 24 and still love it, How can I stop playing something Ive been playing for 15 years!! But i am sure i will stop at some point, like others I have slowed down and play less hours than I used to. Mainly because I used to be at school and now work full time, although I did manage to play about 4 hours at work yesterday! Very quiet it was.

I'd argue that the hobby of computer games in general is simply a new hobby for a new generation. The number of 30 and 40 year old + players will grow as the generation that grew up with access to the technology gets older. So no, no one's 'too old' to enjoy something they enjoy.

25 and still loving the game, it's the only game I still play regularly. I used to be a massive fan of Silent Hill and MGS etc, but I just can't play games like that anymore and it seems like an awful lot of effort, whereas FM rewards your effort sometimes.

I think that FM is the type of game that can be enjoyed by anyone of any age. All you need is a passion for football and a laptop and you can get something out of it.

I think the stimga of playing computer games once you are no longer a kid is disappearing anyway.

27 and proud to still be clicking away at the side of the goal i want my penalty taker to shoot!

It's a generational thing. I bet in the 1960s older people were saying that 25 year-olds were too old to be listening to that "rock and roll" stuff.

These days, in old people's homes and what-not, they play checkers and cribbage etc because those are the games they grew up with. I'd bet my bottom dollar that we'll all be playing a massive network game of FM when we all end up in a home.

I'm 55, clearly too old to know what's good for me.

I have been playing cm/fm for about 10 years and I am 69 in December. I dpn't think age comes into it as Football supporters carry on surporting until the end! I, my father, my g/father & 2 sons all support Chelsea

One advantage of playing FM during retirement is I have plenty of time to devote to one of my favourite hobbies - I normally play each day and can't wait for FM09 - when things will get serious and my study door will be locked with a'Do Not Disturb' sign to keep the G/kid out!

I think that it's ok when you are a kid and then it's ok while you are a student but real life seems to take it's toll on FM playing time on people in their 20's.

Once you are into your 30's and either in a settled relationship, (or out of one as the case may be), you are comfortable enough with yourself that you spend your spare time doing whatever you want and if others don't like it they can "do one".

FM saves me thousands of pounds a year in money not spent on alcohol, minicabs hangover cures.

I was starting to wonder if i was to old the other day (23), my g/f cant understand why i play it and why im looking forward to fm09, but she also cant understand why i like fishing, and cars, and football, she's never going to understand, no one will god damn it, lol.

I'm 29 and still loving it. What'll be good in years to come we don't need bingo in the oap homes all we need is a server and a lap top and we can all play all day and all night.

Nurse Its bath time!!!!

I'm going to be 18 tommorow so playing FM for me is nothing strange...

However, my brother is 27. He works 10 hours on day, has wife and a son and he still plays FM regulary :D

He played it 10 years ago and he plays it now. Ofcourse, he spends less time now then before playing it because he has some comitments but still is very excited :D He can't wait for the new FM, so...I don't think there is some age limit...

I get told it constantly by the missus. I'm 30, played since I was 14 - so over half my life. Don't think it'll ever not be a part of my life, and that's why I get so annoyed at people slagging off SI. They're like family.

33 now. i love it when my fiancee tells me about important stuff thats happened at work that day.. and then i tell her about the cracking goal that edu(my defensive midfielder) scored to beat celtic in the 88th min. the glazed look of dis-interest is magic!

31 this year and no intention of stopping playing it in years to come. Out of a relationship the now but the ex hated it, she didnt understand how I could sit in on a Friday night for 2/3 hours playing it after work before joining her for a little drink rather than go to the pub.....I kept telling her to check the bank, eventually she understood what I meant!!

I'll be 30 soon (ish) and still play FM. It seems to be pretty much the only game I play now - I only have time for a few hours game playing a week and this game is great as I can dip in for 20 minutes before I have to rush off to do something else..

I wonder if 26 is too old to watch TV, go to the cinema or read a book?

Perhaps you're also too old to eat, sleep and enjoy yourself in any shape or form.

I hate this notion that games are for kids :mad:

I'd presume those that infer that playing computer games are for kids are the kind of people who will sit staring at a television most of their life, because that's more socially acceptable, or rather, it's nearly mandatory, games have since the dawn of civilization been an integral part of human sociological evolution, in China (Go and Mah Jong) and Russia (Chess) those who are gifted at games are held in high esteem, Games of all kinds require abstract thought, a certain degree of independent thought, because people who are interested in games do generally spend more time alone, this is seen as abnormal (or possibly dangerous) by those that have very little independent thinking, and this is reinforced by the western attitude's that seem to stem from some red necked Reaganesque right wing christian fundamentalist hollywood portrayal, of Nerd's (who get beaten up by monobrowed silverbacked gorilla jocks), Loner's (who shoot up the school!) loser's (who get no lady action)...... something like that!, anyway from a Buddhist perspective, I find that losing your ego for an hour or two in a game is very good for one's mental health, let those that argue you are too old go back to Bellenders, Max Factor or whatever it is they sit drooling at for hours on end EVERY single day

Archived