Who wants the old style news back?

What type of news do you want in FM 2009?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. What type of news do you want in FM 2009?

• The FM 2008 style one - I quite liked it and there is nothing wrong with it.
    • The older Fm style one - I like that style better.

I find that i am not immersed in the Football manager world in FM 2008. I would like at least an option in 09 to have the older news style back where lots of news came through your inbox. I find having to go through all the divisions own news (especially when you are not in the top league) to find out all the big news is tedious. Who wants the FM 2007 style news back?

I want neither. I like that my inbox isn't full of unimportant twaddle. So that's a good thing.

But I despair that neither of them give any information about the world. Doesn't matter which news you look at, neither will tell you who's just won Serie A, or La Liga, or which big star has just retired, or if anyone has broken a club record for anything (not mine, other club records), or the latest huge move or or or.

So the old news was tedious to click through, the new news only highlights the vacuum in which your club plays.

edit to add, you've got your tenses wrong in the poll options.

I guess it would be better in your opinion. After all, you started this thread, mis-worded the poll and have quoted someone who agreed with you.

Doesn't take a genius to work out where your preference lies.

Thanks for the vote of confidence

I like the split, since my inbox is just stuff relevant to me and my team.

However, I too think the new style puts you way out of touch with the rest of the game. I find myself realising every few years that I have no idea what has happened in any other league and/or championship. After a while it almost feels like there are no other leagues, just your own.

So, if they could keep the split news, but make it feel like there's a bustle in our hedgerow, that would be perfect. :thup:

• SI Staff

I don't think abandoning the current system is the way forward. There was a problem with there being far too much news in the Inbox and it got to be a bit of a chore at times to go through it all.

The idea of having news on a competition page was so that if you are managing in Serie A you can go and look at Ligue 1 and see what is happening there.

We need to get the balance right though and make news available to the user without it being too intrusive like it was when it was in the Inbox.

I don't think abandoning the current system is the way forward. There was a problem with there being far too much news in the Inbox and it got to be a bit of a chore at times to go through it all.

The idea of having news on a competition page was so that if you are managing in Serie A you can go and look at Ligue 1 and see what is happening there.

We need to get the balance right though and make news available to the user without it being too intrusive like it was when it was in the Inbox.

Well at least you acknowledge it needs improving, so hopefully it has been for FM09?

One thing I aways thought would be cool is if you could have your own personal inbox (which you already do) that would display all personal news items, messages, etc...but also a newspaper or website inbox where you could go through newspapers or websites from different countries to see what's going on.

If you manage in the prem you could look at the local paper to see what's going on with your competitors (player frictions, transfer rumors, milestones, etc). Then if you wanted to see how things are getting along in spain you could check out the spanish newspaper.

EDIT

Another thing I just thought of, with more indepth press conferences in FM09, somethign that would be pretty fun would be if a local paper wanted to interview you. The questions they ask would be based on the situation. Maybe if you're just hired the paper or the team's website will ask you several questions about yourself, your plans for the club, your aspirations and what not. Maybe during the season if you're doing really well you'll recieve a set of questions asking about the key to your success, specific players who have been performing well and I guess the inverse for when you're doing poorly. How will you right the ship? Is there fritction within the club? How confident are you that you can turn it around.

Just some ideas.

I think the news box should be tabbed by category, with some indicator that unread items exist in each tab, that way all the news would be accessible via the same screen, but could be separated out for convenience.

A combination of both, I think. The current "Current News" link is something I only discovered a couple of weeks after playing.

News on transfers in your division is quite an important bit of news (at least for me) because it allows me to figure out new threats.

I think we could "tab" the current system, so we'd have club news and other (important) news in other tabs, in essence multiple inboxes. We could also ask for certain types of mail to arrive in our inbox (i.e. all club news from a club in financial turmoil, to pinch some of their players for cheap), and ask for some types of mail to be filtered.

You should be able to subscribe to certain news items in game and choose the length of time you want them for. Perhaps call it your 'PA'.

Example;

Type in name of Club / League / Player / Competition

Select type of news feed.

Select time period.

That way we can pick and choose news items to suit.

With the new system i found i missed alot of the news i used to use in the earlier games. News like teams putting bids in, manager sackings ect i was used to having on my news page were now in the separate page which i didnt always check. Got bery frustrating at points.

Possible suggestion is a check list of what we can select to put on our main news page?

what i think would be best is having a microsoft outlook-like interface where you have 1 inbox but the news are divided into different folders.

you would have the most important news on the front that you have different folders: for ex: one folder called injuries, one folder called competitions, one called finances and so on.

what do you think?

How about something similar to what OOTP has: let users choose whether they only get news about their club, or also about their league or multiple leagues (e.g., both the Premier League and the Championship if you're managing in the Championship, or "Premier league, La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1" if you're managing in any of those leagues)

Edit: already mentioned above, I see :).

Seems like the majority wants at least change from FM 2008 way of doing things. Thinking about it maybe the chance to put in what relevant news items you would want in the league inbox and your personal inbox would be the best way forward.

SI should try to implement a internet style screen where you can check "webpages" for news from around the world, much like Out of the Park Baseball has but make it look more like a website. The option should be there where the page's looks can be edited and the arty farty folk out there can make Sky Sports banners, BBC banners.

That way the inbox is kept for your own information and the other information is only a couple of clicks away.

I'd like one inbox for all information related to my club, country, big results(title winning etc) and big transfers(Big money or high profile). Perhaps retirements too.

A second one for all other information, such as Claude Davis joining Portsmouth or Hull drawing with Newcastle

IMO that would be the best way.

I don't think there's too much wrong with the way it is tbh, BUT I would like extras in my inbox. I want to know about all the managerial casualties in the world as they happen - providing they are a manageable club in your particular gameworld. I also want to know about big transfers - and news items about world record / british record etc transfers. Any good records set by players, that would be noticed on the world scale, certain players reaching 100 international caps etc. Maybe this could be tailored on an options screen as to what news you want exactly in your inbox. Not sure how hard that would be to implement, but I think SI have achieved many harder things than this tbh.

i much preffered the old style news, i know you can check job security etc but i liked to see who had been sacked etc & who was in line to replace them. for eg if your managing in the premiership you should be able to see all managment changes in your divission as and when they happen without having to look up teams to find out.

all in all, old way for me

Archived