Anyone ever seen this - Arsenal docked points for being bankrupt

Arsenal is normally one of the richest AI clubs, and they were annoying me by putting in bids for something like ten of my players at once every so often, so I thought I'd be nice and sell my good youngsters to them. Then, I used the international caps "feature":

intlappearanceskh1.jpg

This had a detrimental effect on their finances and league position:

arsenaldockedpointsrp8.jpg

Now I'm in the process of buying my players (am wondering if I should try to buy their whole squad, wonder what would happen!) back on the cheap.

Yes, I know, it's a silly exploit, just curious if anyone else had fun with it crippling their rivals. Ten seasons in with a big club, you kinda run out of things to do :)

The closest I've come to taking advantage of something like this is after Liverpool signed a striker, Ivan Bruno (not sure if he's a regen or not) for £18 million pounds.

They promptly went bankrupt and I managed to pick him up for £0 + 50% future sales clause. (I was Real Madrid at the time).

Needless to say, they are never going to get the 50% sale fee because the striker is now 33, and will be released at the end of his current contract.

Iv'e never seen the big 4 get broke.

United and/or Liverpool nearly always do in long term games. It is because their real life debt is coded into the game and the interests are set to count directly against the clubs bank balance, which is not the exact case IRL. This should definitely be looked at for future versions, it's unrealistic to see those two clubs with great history simply vanish into obscurity just like that, without anyone in the game raising an eyebrow.

Iv'e never seen the big 4 get broke. Arsenal gets richer than Barca and Real in my games...I hope this is fixed

I don't think I have ever had a career game in which I didn't see Man Utd followed by Liverpool go broke and end up bouncing around champ and league 1.

I've never seen Arsenal do it though, usually I see Chelsea struggle and Aston Villa, West Ham, Arsenal always 3 of the top clubs worldwide.

Arsenal hardly ever gets broke though, due to a huge stadium, small debt, and having a great young squad (which means if the AI buys crappily, like it usually does, the club can still do well). In my game they were one of the richest teams, with a transfer budget of something around $150 million, which is why they were tossing in bids for players constantly. The point is intentionally bankrupting a rival by selling them more players than they can afford heh.

In my game (2024 or something)

2 seasons ago Man UTD finished 15th in the league, then got points deducted as they were going in administration and due to this were relegated hehehe

Barca has been trying to regain its illustrious place but are stuck in 2nd div for 3 years (got close to the relegation to 3rd division...)

I heard that Man Utd always get deducted point around about 2018 so I began my save with the intention of taking over and doing a Fergie with them. It was 2025 before there was any sign of them entering financial meltdown, then I got a trojan had to reboot and lost my game :( So that was the end of that!

Id never heard of this international appearance "feature" gave it a try last night. Arsenal now have to pay me (Bradford City) 30 million for Mergim Hereqi after 10 caps (valued at 3.1million). Can you do it with just 1 cap and does it work with goals scored? Not that im gunna cheat, just out of curiosity

There was a story on yahoo I think, apparently 1 of the big 4 is getting more and more into debt and COULD face administration in the next 5 years or so, obviously there was no formal name but it said a "big" English football team so I guess me saying a "Top 4" team may be a bit extreme but nowadays when the press talk about a big English club it is normally aimed at 1 of these 4! Personally if it'll be any of them I think it will either be Man Utd or Arsenal as they are the 1's with less investment these days unlike Liverpool and Chelsea having rich owners to keep them afloat!

United and/or Liverpool nearly always do in long term games. It is because their real life debt is coded into the game and the interests are set to count directly against the clubs bank balance, which is not the exact case IRL. This should definitely be looked at for future versions, it's unrealistic to see those two clubs with great history simply vanish into obscurity just like that, without anyone in the game raising an eyebrow.

You don't know its not realistic, with the credit crunch at the moment in 5-10 years it might happen IRL, several championship teams have gone into administration,its only a matter of time before a prem team does.

Thing is, Chelsea and Man Utd both have the biggest debts. Ironically, I read this post the day Sky Sports News is talking about big clubs and loan debts.

Galatasary IRL. Their Casuals/firm/thugs(whatever you want to call them) saved them by giving them £3M to stop them folding.

There was a story on yahoo I think, apparently 1 of the big 4 is getting more and more into debt and COULD face administration in the next 5 years or so, obviously there was no formal name but it said a "big" English football team so I guess me saying a "Top 4" team may be a bit extreme but nowadays when the press talk about a big English club it is normally aimed at 1 of these 4! Personally if it'll be any of them I think it will either be Man Utd or Arsenal as they are the 1's with less investment these days unlike Liverpool and Chelsea having rich owners to keep them afloat!

I know Plattini is strongly against all the foreign owners and trying to stop thme. Also apparently Chelsea's depts are all to Abramovic and interest free with no time scale to pay back . - bbc news

i've only ever seen it happen once to one of the big clubs, that was man u. usually arsenal are buying everyone in sight and winning just about everything. mind you, furthest ive played up to is around 2019...

Can believe it with any of the big 4, tbh. If Arsenal fail to qualify for Champs. League then they'll be skint quicker than you can say 'Leeds'. Chelsea will be for it if Roman decides to go, since I believe he's bankrolled the club but in the form of loans to the club, not outright cash gifts. Might be wrong. Liverpool's owners are basically broke, and only Man Utd really stand secure and that's largely because of international merchandising - though they do have the Glazer's debt on their books.

As for it being impossible/unthinkable for teams with history to fold, Accrington Stanley had history when they folded in the 1960s; Wolves as good as went in the early 80s; Leeds weren't far from becoming extinct...and smaller clubs have gone in greater numbers: Newport County, Aldershot, Maidstone to name but three (Boston Utd, if you want four, though they didn't really fold, just got kicked down the leagues - like that'll help).

These 'big' clubs will be safe, as long as they keep getting revenue,prize money etc. from europe, they have based their future earnings on continued success, but I am sure they have a few a little more sensible than ridsdale, and do actually have a plan if everything goes tits up.

reading the gossip column on the bbc it says 3 premier ship clubs have been contacted by banks about their debts, warning them or something.

With the Premier League in its current state, one would start to think that if any of the big clubs like United or Liverpool face a financial disaster there will be some Middle-Eastern group to get them out of trouble.

This happens a lot in long term games. There's a saved game in the challenges forum where the player is in 2207 and the richest club in the world is York City. :D

Didn't know about that particular challenge Tom, I might give it a go.

Thing is, Chelsea and Man Utd both have the biggest debts. Ironically, I read this post the day Sky Sports News is talking about big clubs and loan debts.

They may have the biggest debts (although technically Manchester United do not have debts, Red Football Ltd do), but that does not mean they pay a monthly lump sum out of the clubs bank balance for interests. That's just not how this business works.

im in 2023 and manchester city have just been docked 9 points, so therefore lost the title to arsenal in effect as they were ahead of them till the points deduction in february.

i still couldnt catch them with whitby town (H) and finished 3rd.

ive also seen charlton and forest green rovers go into administration as well, and i thought that it would be cool if a club could fold and come back as, say, fc charlton or charlton rovers, or another name if you get my drift?!

i use the international clause to get some decent cash for poor players. I'm the Liverpool and England manager and sold Pennant & Guthrie to Newcastle for $0 up front and a combined $40M after 10 international appearances. Happy to say Guthrie is set to play his 10th international tonight when I get home and Pennant will do the same once his injury has subsided. Neither has even made a start for England, or played more than 10 minutes, but a cap is a cap!

Archived