Is there ever a Testimonial?

Brilliant feature and I can't believe no-one has mentioned this before. Come to think of it, I can't believe I've never thought of this. :)

people have mentioned this before, you've just never read it.

i actually do 'un-official' testimonials, i arrange a friendly either agaisnt one of his favorite clubs or former clubs....and hold 'retirment' tournaments using the same criteria.

people have mentioned this before, you've just never read it.

i actually do 'un-official' testimonials, i arrange a friendly either agaisnt one of his favorite clubs or former clubs....and hold 'retirment' tournaments using the same criteria.

reading this made me smile

this is brought up alot and always receives alot of people saying they would love the feature. i have to agree, i think it would be great. however, like alot of things in FM, moderation would be the key, not every long serving player gets one.

I think the way to implement it from the beginning would be to arrange a standard friendly against a club of your (or the player's) choice. The player then keeps the proceeds from the game. I wouldn't arse about with getting retired players to play and that malarky. A) I think it's difficult to implement well and B) the database can't keep track of all retired players so it's unfeasible really.

You would have to include a functional purpose within the testimonial, does the club gain status? Supporter admiration? Increased reputation for the player? Please expand, It would be nice for the idea to go further than simply "I want testimonials"

You would have to include a functional purpose within the testimonial, does the club gain status? Supporter admiration? Increased reputation for the player? Please expand, It would be nice for the idea to go further than simply "I want testimonials"

Why? A testimonial is just a friendly game. Do other friendly games increase reputation or status? No.

It would simply be a nice touch.

Plus .... with regards to it being in moderation and not every long serving player getting one. Why shouldnt they? There are not many players that stay at a club for 10 years, therefore testimonial matches are not that common for any one team.

So, I think that who ever the player is, if he has served your club for 10 years or more, they deserve it.

Why? A testimonial is just a friendly game. Do other friendly games increase reputation or status? No.

It would simply be a nice touch.

Plus .... with regards to it being in moderation and not every long serving player getting one. Why shouldnt they? There are not many players that stay at a club for 10 years, therefore testimonial matches are not that common for any one team.

So, I think that who ever the player is, if he has served your club for 10 years or more, they deserve it.

Yeah but friendlies have the functional purpose of increasing the match fitness of the squad before the season starts. If the testimonial match had functions of say increasing fan appreciation for the club or if that was a way a player could be inducted into some kind of hall of fame then that would be much more stimulating than simply have a friendly game and forget about it the next day. The player definitely would deserve it, but another thing asides from a testimonial that they would deserve would be ever-lasting appreciation for services to the club (which is not recorded in the game if my knowledge of the game is as good as I believe), neither is happening, which means that the two could be paired somehow.

Anyway, I know it would be nice nice touch but wouldn't it be even better if it was more than that?

i think it would be a great addition. i mean having your son turn up doesn't really add anything functional to the game, but it's a nice touch that makes the game just that little bit more personal and immersive.

well, same here - okay, strictly speaking it is "just another friendly" but perhaps you could attract a better quality of opposition for the one-off match, it would give the fans a morale boost ("we're happy to pay tribute to <player x> and are pleased that the club has rewarded him for his fine years of service to the club"), and if former players (for example one of the testimonial players favourite personnel who had retired a year or two previous) would agree to play in the match, it would be fun to have one more game with those players.

of course there wouldn't be a financial boost for the club (doesn't all the money raised go to the player?) but maybe it would mean an option when offering a new contract to an older player that we could offer less wages with a clause guaranteeing them a testimonial.

• 4 weeks later...
maybe you should be offer this as a reason for the player to extend his contract if he has been at your club for 10 or so years

Well to be honest a contract extension based on a testimonial?

Most players who qualify for a testimonial are going to sign as many extentions as possible with the club. e.g. Giggs is still signing one year extentions. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer got a testimonial even though he had actually retired.

I think the way to implement it from the beginning would be to arrange a standard friendly against a club of your (or the player's) choice. The player then keeps the proceeds from the game. I wouldn't arse about with getting retired players to play and that malarky. A) I think it's difficult to implement well and B) the database can't keep track of all retired players so it's unfeasible really.

whs. Not fussed about bringing back retired players, it could potentially cause all sorts of problems (Plus if done right it would increase the database size dramatically - Former players as well as current players for every club on the game?!)

Archived