Speed vs Match Intelligence

For a long time I've always based my player purchasing choices on a players rating in key technical attributes and good mental attributes

Defence: Tackling, Marking & Heading

Midfield: Tackling, Passing, Dribbling/Crossing

Forward: Finishing, Heading

Mental: Decisions, Anticipation, Determination & Off the Ball/Positioning

In all of my previous saves trying to build a "smart" squad it was frequently difficult to achieve something more than mere mediocrity, easy wins were just that, difficult games were more often than not lost, many games were drawn 0-0, 1-1.

For a change I decided to base my purchases on Pace, Acceleration & Stamina instead, but still looking at the same key technical stats.

Using the same tactics as i had with the "smart squads" of previous saves, the new "fast squad" has blown away almost everything put infront of it, easy wins were easy wins, difficult home/away matches were frequently won, very few matches were drawn.

Im playing FM07, the saves havent been with Chelsea/ManU or teams of thier ilk, but with clubs like Tirgoviste, Karlslund & Welling and several more besides. It all seems slightly wrong somehow in a way that i can't quite put my finger on .........

Always been that way for me, I will never play anyone with speed rating below 13 or 14, slightly lower for lower league teams. Some players with amazing technical/mental abilities but no speed are ineffective in FM (Diego, Riquelme, come to mind). Even defenders are much better with good acceleration.

This is one reason that players in FM constantly have such young teams, because their physical attributes are much more important than those 28yo+ veterans that are beginning to slow down but have gained a great number of tech/ment attributes over the seasons.

Always been that way for me, I will never play anyone with speed rating below 13 or 14, slightly lower for lower league teams. Some players with amazing technical/mental abilities but no speed are ineffective in FM (Diego, Riquelme, come to mind). Even defenders are much better with good acceleration.

This is one reason that players in FM constantly have such young teams, because their physical attributes are much more important than those 28yo+ veterans that are beginning to slow down but have gained a great number of tech/ment attributes over the seasons.

Hahaha Riquelme ineffective? I'm sorry to tell you this, but that statement threw away all your credibility. I've had Riquelme in many save-games and he's been tremendous everytime.

Players don't need high speed ratings (well some do obviously). Just play right, really. If you can't get anything from Riquelme, then you don't play right.

I'm not saying you can't get anything from Riquelme, I'm saying hes the type of player that has all the right attributes but his lack of speed means there are much better options out there because of that. Theres a long list of cheaper, younger, midfielders that can produce results much better than Riquelme can because of his lack of speed. Same for Diego.

i have to agree with you, OP.

in a networkgame in which i was managing SpVgg Fürth in the 2.Bundesliga my scouts found me some decent-good slovenian players. one was a MRC called Dejan Geric. Dejan has terrible technical and mental stats(the highlights being 11 crossing, 12 dribbling and 12 work rate) but extremly good physical stats with 19 accl, 18 pace and 18 stamina. because he was cheap and my scouts quite rated him i took a gamble and he ended up signing of the season and top of the assists chart with ~17 assists playing MR. it seemed ridiculous for me at first how well he performed. he just ran past everyone easily having the highest pace/accl in the league and put in crosses some of which inevitably found my strikers. he even chipped in a few goals and performed exceptionally well in the centre when i tried a more narrow formation without wingers. apparently you can do anything with good physical stats.

I'm not saying you can't get anything from Riquelme, I'm saying hes the type of player that has all the right attributes but his lack of speed means there are much better options out there because of that. Theres a long list of cheaper, younger, midfielders that can produce results much better than Riquelme can because of his lack of speed. Same for Diego.

I think Riqielme is the perfect example of 'Why run 30 yards when you can pass it 30 yards'. He gets the ball doing the work. The man is class.

I think Riqielme is the perfect example of 'Why run 30 yards when you can pass it 30 yards'. He gets the ball doing the work. The man is class.

In real life yes, but in game? I've played with Riquelme a few times before and he has had his moments of brilliance but his lack of speed means there is always a better player available.

Even central defenders with lesser stats but more speed have advantages over better defenders, except within set pieces.

Hopefully its not as one sided towards physical attributes in 09 but with the distance tracking feature who knows.

Riquelme has stormed Serie A and Premier League for me with Roma and Tottenham, he has never let me down any time I have bought him and have even gone to £20m to buy him on 1 occasion and was worth every single penny 20 times over! Fully agree with Socdk about him and for rekluse to say you can get better cheaper options is just crazy, I have NEVER come across a player in this game with so many 18+ at the very start of the game!

I'm sorry to say this, since it will come out like a provocation... But you need to learn how to play before bashing the game. Riquelme is godlike (yes I'm talking IN the game), probably one of the players I've had most success with as an AMC. The same goes for defenders. I'd rather go for a defender with high defending skills (Tackling, Marking, Positioning, Concentration, Anticipation) and lack of speed, than a speedy guy with lesser defensive skills. Yes a slow defender can be caught out of position once in a while, but I have had alot of experience where the slower but stronger defender is much more reliable than a speedy defender with minor defensive skills compared. I'm telling you it's how you play.

I'm sorry to say this, since it will come out like a provocation... But you need to learn how to play before bashing the game. Riquelme is godlike (yes I'm talking IN the game), probably one of the players I've had most success with as an AMC. The same goes for defenders. I'd rather go for a defender with high defending skills (Tackling, Marking, Positioning, Concentration, Anticipation) and lack of speed, than a speedy guy with lesser defensive skills. Yes a slow defender can be caught out of position once in a while, but I have had alot of experience where the slower but stronger defender is much more reliable than a speedy defender with minor defensive skills compared. I'm telling you it's how you play.

Maybe its how YOU play, I play differently. Theres a list of players I would much rather have at AMC than Riquelme, Matias Fernandez being one that I consistently have great success with and can be gotten by many clubs in the first seasons.

Just because I don't have success with Riquelme it makes me a bad player? Maybe I have better success with a team of good physical attributes than you do with a team of technical attributes.

Your all caught up about the wrong thing, the OP is about how FM overrates speed compared to players vastly gifted with technical and mental attributes, and I agree with the OP. Mainly because "I", not being you since obviously you have much much greater success than the seasons of games I have never mentioned, have had more success with faster players than technical players in all positions.

Maybe its how YOU play, I play differently. Theres a list of players I would much rather have at AMC than Riquelme, Matias Fernandez being one that I consistently have great success with and can be gotten by many clubs in the first seasons.

Just because I don't have success with Riquelme it makes me a bad player? Maybe I have better success with a team of good physical attributes than you do with a team of technical attributes.

Your all caught up about the wrong thing, the OP is about how FM overrates speed compared to players vastly gifted with technical and mental attributes, and I agree with the OP. Mainly because "I", not being you since obviously you have much much greater success than the seasons of games I have never mentioned, have had more success with faster players than technical players in all positions.

No no, you're not listening to me or yourself. You guys claim that FM are built for playing fast players and fast players only and that slow players mostly are ineffective. You're actually saying that you can't play slower players. You directly state that slow players aren't good in FM because the game doesn't allow it. You're bashing the game on false pretences, since I have no problem playing these slower players with succes. Thereby I conclude that it is not the game that is faulty, but your tactics/approach to the game that is. This is what you said. I can quote you if you'd like... "Some players with amazing technical/mental abilities but no speed are ineffective in FM (Diego, Riquelme, come to mind).".

Don't get all defensive. I'm just debating based on the info you give me. Don't say one thing and mean another.

"Your all caught up about the wrong thing, the OP is about how FM overrates speed compared to players vastly gifted with technical and mental attributes"

Obviously I'm not caught op about the wrong thing. I'm telling you that since my FM doesn't give an edge (other than the obvious) to speedy player over technical players and I know that others feel the same way, then you must not know how to use these players right.

Let me cut it out for you like this. I know how to use both type of players effectively and say the game is fine in this aspect, you know how to use pacey players effectively but don't know how to slower technical players effectively and say the game is flawed in this aspect.

Read that line a couple of times. The logic should be obvious.

The only thing I'm trying to draw from this is Don't blame the game, blame the player. This is a debate. The subject was tossed out there, I disagreed with the statements that has been made, and argued why.

I have a feeling that you're pretty p***ed off after reading this. I'm not trying to attack you or diminish you as a player (Since I couldn't care less) and if your approach to the game is working, then go with it. I'm just debating and defending the game.

For a long time I've always based my player purchasing choices on a players rating in key technical attributes and good mental attributes

Defence: Tackling, Marking & Heading

Midfield: Tackling, Passing, Dribbling/Crossing

Forward: Finishing, Heading

Mental: Decisions, Anticipation, Determination & Off the Ball/Positioning

In all of my previous saves trying to build a "smart" squad it was frequently difficult to achieve something more than mere mediocrity, easy wins were just that, difficult games were more often than not lost, many games were drawn 0-0, 1-1.

For a change I decided to base my purchases on Pace, Acceleration & Stamina instead, but still looking at the same key technical stats.

Using the same tactics as i had with the "smart squads" of previous saves, the new "fast squad" has blown away almost everything put infront of it, easy wins were easy wins, difficult home/away matches were frequently won, very few matches were drawn.

Im playing FM07, the saves havent been with Chelsea/ManU or teams of thier ilk, but with clubs like Tirgoviste, Karlslund & Welling and several more besides. It all seems slightly wrong somehow in a way that i can't quite put my finger on .........

it depends what postion the player plays in that you decide what skills are best.

Archived