**Tutorial** - How to Take a Screenshot with Custom Firmware!

It's really easy, just only people with custom firmware that can go into recovery mode can do it.

1. Download this. It's a small file. http://dino.petinqx.com/psp/screencapture.rar

2. Unzip the file using WinRar, which you can also download from Google.

3. Put the seplugins folder in the ROOT of you're Memory Stick.

4. Turn off the PSP completely. When turning it back on, hold R to enter recovery mode.

5. Go down to Plugins. I stress that you must NOT play around with ANYTHING ELSE in Recovery Mode!

6. Enable all Plugins.

7. Press the Music Mute key to take a screenshot.

**I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IN WHAT YOU DO WITH YOU'RE PSP. I'M TELLING YOU THIS NOW, MANY PEOPLE HAVE BRICKED THEY'RE PSP'S DOING CRAZY STUFF WITH IT. THIS IS AT YOU'RE OWN RISK**

Aparently the battery will be fine. A brick is to do with the internal memory being corrupted and making the PSP as useless as a brick (hence the name)

Everyone says the pandora battery stops all bricks but I still am hesitant to do it because of voiding my warrenty with custom firmware so I don't think I will use it for a while :)

My friend has done it and keeps on at me to do it but I don't want to risk it and have to buy a new PSP if something goes wrong and Sony won't replace under warrenty

Well he's a ****** who tried to hard-mod it then nerner, and deserved what he got. I have made quite a few, sold some and I have 2 myself. It just involves changing the EEPROM on the battery- sounds complicated, but really a simple homebrew program lets you do it with one button press. Nowadays the Magic Memory Stick is also very easy to make. Just involves copying files now I believe (used to have to use command prompts and all that jazz). I charge people 20 bucks a pop to put CFW on PSPs, or unbrick them. I can't stress enough how safe this is! Once you have a working Pandora kit you literally cannot brick your PSP beyond repair. I've deleted and moved files from my PSP's flash memory, making it unable to turn on, only to put the special battery and mem stick in and have a fully functional PSP again 5 minutes later. It cannot void your warranty (well in theory it can, but unless you're an idiot, Sony would never have to know that the problem was associated with CFW) and it's not like you'd ever have to send in a brick anymore anyway because you can repair it yourself. Custom plugins and programs are awesome- letting you take screenshots, play music in background during games, increase/decrease CPU speed, toggle USB mode automatically, enable all kinds of cheats in all games... I could go on all day

Haha no! It needs to be a modified battery and memory stick, that are only used to install the firmware on it. In fact once the battery is modified it can't even be used to boot the PSP normally (most of the time...). In China they would just buy the PSP, put their special memory stick and battery in the PSP for 5 minutes while CFW installs, then take their mem stick and battery back and package the PSP up with whatever it had in it 5 minutes ago

It's no secret. I won't do it for the simple reason that I doubt this site would condone it because it's strongly related to piracy, and also because I just did a simple google search for a PSP CFW tutorial and got nearly 70,000 results, so I don't think we need another tutorial out there

Pandora's battery works on any and all firmwares, even no firmware! Shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone with a PSP that already has CFW on it (you'll need to use it to make the battery)

Ah right, i see. Just to clarify, i wont be using this for piracy purposes. It will be used for the apps and to have all my games on my memory stick to save me carrying them around.

Do i need a modified memory stick aswell? i only have one of them so don't fancy risking it

Ah right, i see. Just to clarify, i wont be using this for piracy purposes. It will be used for the apps and to have all my games on my memory stick to save me carrying them around.

That's piracy in itself.

There are lots of legitimate uses for custom firmware. It's just unfortunate that it also opens the door to piracy.

Actually im pretty sure i read somewhere that U.S laws say you are allowed to make a backup copy of your game providing you are keeping the original. if you sell your original then your back up copy must go too.

I dont know about the UK though...google may be able to help.

Computer games users enjoy a special privilege under the existing copyright law. According to Section 50(A) of the 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, legal purchasers of computer games are explicitly permitted to make a backup copy of their purchase. (Interestingly, the rule specifically applies to computer games. For no adequately-explained reason, purchasers of music CDs or DVD movies are not granted the same rights to protect their investment. The only rational explanation your reporter can come up with for this odd anomaly is that the law recognises that (a) computer software is overpriced in comparison to other leisure media, and (b) the games industry is so fragile, and hostile towards backwards-compatibility, that your chances of being able to obtain a legal replacement for a duff disc after anything more than a couple of years are so remote as to require legal remedy.)

This section of the law has NOT been changed by the CRRA. You are still entitled by UK law to make a backup copy of any piece of software you buy legally. Where things start to get interesting, though, is in Section 296Z of the new law. Section 296 makes it an offence to do anything at all which is designed to circumvent any piece of copyright protection technology put in place by the manufacturers or distributors of any copyrighted work.

This is a direct copy (ironically) of the section in the US DMCA under which the prosecutions of Skylarov, Halderman and many others were made possible, and in short what it means is that if a disc has some form of anti-copy protection, it is a criminal offence to either circumvent that protection yourself, or to give anyone else any device or piece of information which will enable them to do so. In other words, if you exercise your legally-enshrined right to make a backup of your legally-purchased game, you are automatically and necessarily breaking the law, with a maximum penalty of two years imprisonment.

Archived