Idea for future FM: Comebacks

I haven't seen this idea suggest ever, so please bear with me..

This idea is inspired by the news from my home country that former Start, Utrecht, Linz, Panathinaikos, 1860 München and FC Copenhagen player Erik Mykland today made his comeback to competitive football at the age of 37 (for Start in the second highest Norwegian league). He retired a few years ago.

I haven't seen this ever happening in CM/FM, but it would sure be a nice touch to see the odd comeback once in a while, to add some flavour :)

Whaddaya think?

yeh may be Alan Shearer could get his boots on and return to newcastle as player manager

I doubt even Shearer could fix the mess at Newcastle and I doubt he'd want to work with Denis Wise. Remeber that just because he was a great player doesn't mean that he'll be a great manager.

Remeber that just because he was a great player doesn't mean that he'll be a great manager.

John Barnes at Celtic was a hilarious example of this :D

As for the initial idea, I like it, but i'd be worried that either it would happen too often or it would be weird players coming back, might be hard to code.

If Shearer was still playing he could score 10 goals a season for us easily, scoring headers and anticipating rebounds and so on.

Staying fit though is another story.

By the way Marc Overmars has made a comeback for Go Ahead Eagles this season.

I remember Ian Rush retired a fair few years back and came out of retirement to play for TNS in Wales in the Champions League against Liverpool in 2005 when they had to start from the 1st qualifying round

'Fraid you remember incorrectly, that didn't happen.

Players are deleted from the DB when they retire so the game doesn't slow down too much - that would be a problem for this feature.

This cant be a big problem. Just before the player retires the game can decide wether the player should make a comeback later on - if so, he wont be deleted from the DB...

I remember Ian Rush retired a fair few years back and came out of retirement to play for TNS in Wales in the Champions League against Liverpool in 2005 when they had to start from the 1st qualifying round

Obviously, this was a sarcastic comment? :D

I think this is a blinding idea.

Could a players history be stored if he is going to make a comeback? Then a new CA would be given to him in a couple of years when he starts playing again. This could be higher than when he retired too, to represent the rest and desire to play again. He would then decline at the normal rate for someone who is that old.

Have to sort out the aging bug first though!

You could get a news item if you have shortlisted the player like "Ronaldo is currently training with Flamengo in anticipation of a big comeback"

I think it would be great to see.

Archived