How do you buy players?

When you have identified a player that could be a good signing for you how do you go about acquiring him? Do you buy him straight away, scout him for a few weeks, go to one of his matches or what? I just tend to jump in and buy him straight away without identifying his strengths or weaknesses. Then I can sum up weather or not he has a future at my club after 15-20 games.

It's hard to scout the youth players so I just do the same because you don't really lose much if you get a dud.

I only bring my own players through the youth system now but when i did sign players i just took a look at them and decided myself if they were any good, if so then i would jump in and sign them.

If i got one who i wasn't sure about then i would scout them for one game to get a better idea.

I carefully check the stats to se if they meet my criteria. I tend to focus on position specific stats as I manage lower league clubs. If I have a scout I use them, if not a loan often helps if I am serious. Trials are great for building a squad too! I also tend to browse the U20 national teams etc. Let someone else do the hard work! I picked up an amazing Canadian keeper that way!

You just go ahead and sign him? And let him play 20 games to see if he's a good signing? o_O

I'm too much of a perfectionist to do that. I always scout, look for other alternatives, compare stats and attributes and such... That's why I only sign the best players. My board agrees.

Initially ask for scout report.

Then scout matches he is playing in.

Then "Admire" player to unsettle him.

Then declare interest.

Then attend a match to watch him (by now he may be intent on putting on a show in his next match to impress you).

Then enquire/make offer.

Offer contract.

Sign him.

Play him at left back in his first match.

Then defensive midfield.

Then be disappointed by his displays.

Then worry he may not be the player you thought he was.

Then realise he isn't the player you though he was.

Move him to the reserves.

Look for the next "New Beckenbauer"....

• 4 months later...
Initially ask for scout report.

Then scout matches he is playing in.

Then "Admire" player to unsettle him.

Then declare interest.

Then attend a match to watch him (by now he may be intent on putting on a show in his next match to impress you).

Then enquire/make offer.

Offer contract.

Sign him.

Play him at left back in his first match.

Then defensive midfield.

Then be disappointed by his displays.

Then worry he may not be the player you thought he was.

Then realise he isn't the player you though he was.

Move him to the reserves.

Look for the next "New Beckenbauer"....

LOL who's this a dig at then? benitez?

Archived