Width makes your team strwetch the opposition by playing the wingers on the touchlines of either flanks . Closing down presses teams , good for not allowing teams to much time on the ball , however it will bring your players out of position , therefore damage your formation etc.

Width: high = your fullbacks and wingers are out near the sideline, and there is a lot of space in the middle of the pitch. Strategically, this creates space for the talented players on both teams. Therefore, you want to us it when you are the better team and/or need to attack. You want to stay narrow when you are facing better opposition and/or need to defend.

Closing down: the frequency and distance that a player will travel to engage the man on the ball, when the other team is in possession. Personally, I use fairly high closing down for my midfielders, but low closing down for my defenders. I've found that high closing down for the defenders sees them "close down" too often, leaving a man unmarked behind them. Strategically, closing down while trailing or pressing for a goal makes sense. It can also rattle teams that are playing "out of their depth" or have poor technique. However, it tires your players out, so trying to use it "high" for all ninety minutes can lead to your team exhausted at the end of the match.

Archived