Shortlist & Media, and Milan derby

I started a new game as AC Milan about 3 weeks ago and am in my 3rd season.

I got to wondering 3 things while playing this; something which never occurred to me until now even though I've been playing this series way back from the Champ Man on Amiga days. Basically a long time.

First, why when you have a player on your shortlist does the media ask you if you're going to sign them? How the fluff would the media ever know who you might be considering signing or looking at simply cos you had your scout provide you with a report (not 1, 2, or 3 game scout) and they remain on your shortlist? Simply, they wouldn't ever know...I mean a real life manager's shortlist might be something as simple as an A4 piece of paper in his inside shirt pocket.

Second, does the home and away advantage matter at all when playing as Milan vs Inter or vice versa? Cos theoretically it wouldn't matter cos its the same ground with more than likely the same tickets sold etc. However I have noticed it makes a difference on FM08. Surely it wouldn't make any difference at all...

Thanks for reading (if you did) and feedback welcome.

Ground sharing does still have an effet in real life. The regarded home team would be allowed more tickets for their "home game"

Thanks for your response, wardog...but surely it would have no effect on either set of players, Milan or Inter as they're playing at the same ground, and their ears will obviously be unable to decipher that there are more Inter/Milan fans present?

First, why when you have a player on your shortlist does the media ask you if you're going to sign them? How the fluff would the media ever know who you might be considering signing or looking at simply cos you had your scout provide you with a report (not 1, 2, or 3 game scout) and they remain on your shortlist? Simply, they wouldn't ever know...I mean a real life manager's shortlist might be something as simple as an A4 piece of paper in his inside shirt pocket.

Well from what I know, its the only way for those media comments to show up. Otherwise the game has no means of knowing which player to put in its media comments, you get what I m trying to say ? I mean this IS better than the media selecting some random guy from the database and asking you whether you want to buy him.

Yes, el sid, I get what you're saying, and I understand that the media aspect of the game would be lacking but it wouldn't it be more realistic if I'd sent a scout and the media commented straight after the scout report that I was interested, rather than when the player has been on my shortlist for ages and they keep asking about the same player?

Just needs to be tweaked I think, and I hope it is in FM09.

I started a new game as AC Milan about 3 weeks ago and am in my 3rd season.

I got to wondering 3 things while playing this; something which never occurred to me until now even though I've been playing this series way back from the Champ Man on Amiga days. Basically a long time.

Second, does the home and away advantage matter at all when playing as Milan vs Inter or vice versa? Cos theoretically it wouldn't matter cos its the same ground with more than likely the same tickets sold etc. However I have noticed it makes a difference on FM08. Surely it wouldn't make any difference at all...

Thanks for reading (if you did) and feedback welcome.

The only time the media ask me about players is when I've had a bid rejected and then don't make another bid. They tend to ask a couple of days after I've had my bid rejected.

Thanks for your response, wardog...but surely it would have no effect on either set of players, Milan or Inter as they're playing at the same ground, and their ears will obviously be unable to decipher that there are more Inter/Milan fans present?

IRL you are right. However in the game it's different, because Milan & Inter play in different stadiums. Due to Milan's request the stadium where Milan plays is called San Siro, while Inter plays in Guiseppe Meazza. We all know San Siro/Guiseppe Meazza is the same stadium IRL, however in the game they are treated as two different stadiums(even though similar).

I think when Inter play "away" they may realise that there is a flood of Red and Black though and massive booing when they touch the ball.

IRL you are right. However in the game it's different, because Milan & Inter play in different stadiums. Due to Milan's request the stadium where Milan plays is called San Siro, while Inter plays in Guiseppe Meazza. We all know San Siro/Guiseppe Meazza is the same stadium IRL, however in the game they are treated as two different stadiums(even though similar).

Do you know for certain that they're treat as two different stadiums? I'm not trying to be funny here either. Serious question.

Also, if it is true that they're treat as separate that's just silly cos IRL I don't think either side has an advantage. I've watched a few Milan derbies on that programme which used to be on Channel 4 (UK) called Goal Lazio or something. :D

Anyway as previously stated I hope it's addressed in FM09, which I really cannot wait for. *drool*

I absolutely wish that shortlists were private.

Yeah of course if I send a scout then perhaps they could ask me which player I was scouting, or even speculate at random between the 22 on the park. If I've scouted for 2 or 3 matches then they'll be pretty sure who I want and I don't mind.

But if all I've done is write his name on the back of a fag packet, then why does the Upper Mboto Tribune suddenly ask me about him?? Annoys me.

(to the guy above, as in Gheorghe Hagi? He was incredible)

VB

Hagi, I'm pretty sure they are. Otherwise both teams would play at the San Siro.

I think it's so Inter can upgrade it without AC having theirs upgraded- Inter would lose money, and AC would get a bigger stadium for free...

I always have my 'real' shortlist disabled and the default one set as active which is usually empty. I'd like to see the correlation between my short list and the media to be handled differently as well because as it is right now its pointless to have players on your shortlist since it ends up disrupting your own squad more than his.

In regards to the Milan derby the only advantage the home team gets is that the 'home' team supporters who have season tickets don't need to buy new tickets. Hence there tends to be a significantly larger number of home team fans. At least that is the only difference i noticed in the past, and i have had season tickets for both Milan and Inter in the past.

And it is the same for Roma Vs. Lazio and most other city derbys, seen as most cities have two teams and most teams rent their stadium from the city council.

On a side note, the atmosphere tends to be great whoever is the 'home' team.

One of the revealed features for fm 2009 was the new transfer system with the transfer rumours page speculating on possible transfers. It stated that some of these would be made up while others will be accurate but i presume the accurate ones will still come from shortlists.

But if all I've done is write his name on the back of a fag packet, then why does the Upper Mboto Tribune suddenly ask me about him?? Annoys me.

(to the guy above, as in Gheorghe Hagi? He was incredible)

VB

Yep I agree VB, which is the point I was trying to make. I mean seriously, how the flip would scouts know who you were looking at and more importantly what you were writing on your inside coat pocket, Anywho, lets hope FM09 is better...

And to confirm, yeah my name comes from the awesome legendary Romanian midfielder Gheorghe Hagi...a top-class left peg. Although didn't really do well at any club outside of Steau for some odd reason. Was signed for Barca but didn't play much...which was strange.

I always used to sign him on old Champ Man's when he was at Brescia. :D

Archived