what on earth should i say to my players at half time?

I've never really understood the team talk part of the game, and personally think its just a silly addition.

Anyway my players never seem to listen to me when i'm losing.

When we were 1-0 up away i told the players 'don't let your performance drop'. Result 4-1 with a player sent of after they had scored four.

At home against one of the teams in the relegation spots. I'm 2-0 up at half time, looking comfortable would be an understatement. Completely dominated them. Team talk i tell the team i'm 'pleased'. 2nd half - my team fall apart & they score two, finishes a draw.

I don't have a clue what i'm doing wrong and its infuriating me because i feel the only way i have a shot of winning is if i'm not winning at half time.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

you need to use your brains a bit?

every player reacts diffrent to the comments. so 1 player might like you saying "dont drop" "and another might like "encourage"

once you know your players then speak to the ones who like the same as a team & use the indavidual talks on the others :)

up by 1 goal: encourage

up by 2 goals: don't let performance drop (unless you own the other team, then you could go for pleased)

up by 3+ goals: pleased

game tied: encourage or disappointing, depending on opposition

not saying anything is an option I usually don't like, unless I am speechless with what they have just done.

I have gone very very successful with those team instructions and I keep getting good results after them, often getting positive player feedback regarding my teamtalk

I don't use individual instructions, unless e.g. a player has a 5 at halftime and I don#t want to change him. I do use them after the game though.

If I'm 1-0 up at half time at home I tell them "Don't let your performance drop!" or "Don't get careless!"

If I'm 1-0 up away I "encourage"

2-0 at home I say nothing as an overall team talk but tell the players with rating 8 or above "Pleased" individually, and for those rated 6 "I have faith". This never prompts a bad reaction at home (for me).

2-0 up away I would say "Pleased" as a team talk and for any players on a low rating "I have faith".

3-0 at home I would say "Don't let your performance drop!" to the whole team, especially if we're playing a rival. You may get a few "Angered" reactions, but IMO this is a better reaction than "Didn't seem to be listening" for "pleased", isn't it? - Normally in these instances I will end the match 4 or 5 up and the whole team will be rated 8 and above, so it must be working.

Just a few examples of what I do, and what works for me. But be aware that squad personality plays a big part in team talk reaction! My current squad personality is "Very Determined" and I can get away with shouting at them a lot, the lads love being kept on their toes.

As a final note - never end the match with a negative team talk. Always say "Pleased/Delighted/Sensational/Fantastic" for wins; for a well-fought or unlucky draw "Pleased or sympathise" and for Defeats, no matter how hard it is to swallow, "Sympathise/Good effort".

Archived