Vaduz in europe

As some of you may know, Vaduz are in the top league in Switzerland now but as a Liechtenstein club they will not be able to qualify to Europe through finishing high in the Swiss league along with other conditions to allow them to play in the top league. This means they can only get into Europe via the Liechenstein cup (which they seem to be hard coded to win every year) and have done for the past 11 years resulting in a Europa League place. Therefore it is impossible for them to qualify for Champions League at the moment even if they win the league since there is no Liechtenstein league.

The situation is still not so simple as a similar thing happened with Cardiff City last year when they nearly made a UEFA Cup spot for the FA Cup before losing. The English FA giving into the UEFA pressure to give them them European slot should they win the cup which they didn't. So it would be logical to assume that should Vaduz win the Swiss league UEFA would pressure the Swiss FA to let them into the Champions league.

Therefore how are situations like these going to be represented in FM09?

Personally I feel the Cardiff situation was beyond a joke, the English FA allowed a Welsh club to play in the English leagues and basically not being given the same respect and opportunities as an English club! My feelings are the same as with Vaduz, I can honestly say I have never heard of them but if a club joins up with a different FA then they should be treated the same as every other club who's nationality is the same as the FA they are with!

• 1 month later...
Vaduz can win the UEFA Cup and get into the Champions League for the next season.

Whether that's possible or not is another question.

You can't qualify for the CL by winning the UEFA Cup...

In the game I'm pretty sure that Vaduz would qualify for the CL by league place because I don't think the game is equipped to think about the whole country debate. Similarly I'm pretty sure that before last year plenty of people have taken Swansea and Cardiff to Europe through English competitions.

If the Vaduz thing happened in RL I'd expect to see them allowed entry to Europe anyway, since the decision is largely at the discretion of the FA and Switzerland and Liechtenstein are very friendly to each other.

If we're talking about FM, surely Vaduz AND Cardiff (or Swansea or Wrexham) should be able to qualify for Europe just because they are playable and it would be a bit crap if we couldn't go into Europe with them. I guess, if you want it to be totally realistic, you'll disagree with me, but hey ho.

If we're talking about FM, surely Vaduz AND Cardiff (or Swansea or Wrexham) should be able to qualify for Europe just because they are playable and it would be a bit crap if we couldn't go into Europe with them. I guess, if you want it to be totally realistic, you'll disagree with me, but hey ho.

I agree with this. An example where FM should maybe give way to realism in order to improve the enjoyment of the game.

Why does Lichtenstein and Switzerland have this set-up with Vaduz anyway? Just thinking about San Marino and how they have a club team in the Italian leagues.

Because in a country with a population the same size as an average town elsewhere (about 30,000 in each case iirc) there's not that much opportunity for a competitive league in the European style. Thus, the small handful of teams who enjoyed early success looked for entry into their neighbouring country's leagues in order to expand their opportunities, and their profit margins. Insodoing, they also thus expanded their country's footballing stature, since their team and players became well-known to a country of several million, and their team had more opportunity for travel, thus increasing their chances of drawing in support and new players, and expanding on their successes.

For a similar - though not identical - reason, several Welsh teams remained in the English league structure on the formation of the League of Wales in 1992 - because they knew that if they entered the Welsh system, they'd face less opposition, wouldn't get the publicity they enjoy in England, and would lose money rapidly until they diminished until they were about the same "size" as the other Welsh teams currently playing in the Welsh league system.

Archived