FM2009 - Alternative Skins (any news, can't seem to find it?)

I've searched the forums to see if anyones asked this question before - sorry if i've missed any posts under un-related topics.

Any news on whether FM2009 is likely to have a new skin or alternative skins to the FM2008 one? I'd say it would be pretty disappointing if just the 2008 one was used - you rarely see an annually released game not refreshed year after year.

I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that the skin for FM2009 had been altered slightly but I think its pretty much the same. I wouldn't worry though because it wount be too long before skins are available in the skinning forum & various other 3rd party sites.

I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that the skin for FM2009 had been altered slightly but I think its pretty much the same. I wouldn't worry though because it wount be too long before skins are available in the skinning forum & various other 3rd party sites.

The thing is though, i have many mates who don't use the forums at all and don't really know about skins/kits/logos etc. This means that people who don't know about/have access to these things may be disappointed as i pointed out above.

Some people may look at the back of the box, see that the skin is the same and think 'it's really just an update'. ie. they think they are best just downloading a data update for the old one.

If I remember correctly the PSP version comes with 2 skins.

Maybe the PC/MAC version will too??

This is what i was hoping for - but seeing as they pointed this out at the time for the PSP and not for the PC it doesn't seem so?

I thought Miles said something about two skins in the podcast, I can't remember if it was for the PC version, but that's what I took it as.

Yes but I think those skins were just for the handheld version of the game which is a shame because I thought they looked really good.

Yes but I think those skins were just for the handheld version of the game which is a shame because I thought they looked really good.

Yeah, from what I remember one of them looked quite good, but then again I never really saw a problem with the one in 08 and everyone else hated that.

Id be surprised if we didn't have a new skin and slightly dissapointed. I raised the point around the time of the video that it was the same. It wouldn't upset alot but I feel that new skin makes the game feel new. People already had a problem with 08 not changing enough.

Id be surprised if we didn't have a new skin and slightly dissapointed. I raised the point around the time of the video that it was the same. It wouldn't upset alot but I feel that new skin makes the game feel new. People already had a problem with 08 not changing enough.

I would expect some changes.

I'm sure the video mentioned they've done lots more user testing with the 08 skin and will be further improvements for 09.

• SI Staff

I don't know how you can say the skin in 08 hadn't changed enough when it was probably the biggest skin change since FM 2005 :D

The thing is though, i have many mates who don't use the forums at all and don't really know about skins/kits/logos etc. This means that people who don't know about/have access to these things may be disappointed as i pointed out above.

Some people may look at the back of the box, see that the skin is the same and think 'it's really just an update'. ie. they think they are best just downloading a data update for the old one.

I don't think that's as fair an argument as you try to make it. You know about the patches so it wouldn't be so hard to tell your friends about them, unless you happened to be a very mean person? Also it is possible for themselves to search for the forum, or add-ons and patches to the game, by following the link from the back of the box, and the back of the manual. Not having access is not very fair either because if they were not able to use the internet to get information about the skins, they probably couldn't get them even if they knew about them. There are many games that have the capacity to be skinned and modded, Football Manager is not unique in this case, even games from pre-2000 had the capacity to be customized even without internet access, and therefore it is a slight stretch to assume there are a very large number of people who do not know what modding/skinning is. It is even more of a stretch to assume that there are a large number of these people who would be put off by a similar skin from last year's edition. Your points are logical but there is no reason to assume that they are little more than hearsay and conspiracy. Wow that was a great sentence.

That said, I would like to be able to at least change the colour of the original skin. But it wouldn't put me off, in fact I've almost forgotten what the original skin looked like.

Just get them to download it. Not hard. Or do you prefer seeing them suffer? I'm just going to be distributing skin, graphics and such because I'm a good friend :) And the skin is a bit bright sure but it's grown on me. The colour scheme still isn't brilliant but it's not as bad as everyone makes out. I preferred the 07 skin and thought it was the best but there you go. Maybe a blue version of this skin would be better though?

• 1 month later...

The thing is, you make it sound as if it is going to be bad because it does not look totally different to FM08. If your friends do not use forums and they do not know about the skins then how are they missing out, as if you do not know about something how can you miss it.

If you use skins and think your friends would like to but they do not have access to the internet, then you could download the skins when they are out, put them on a disk and then pass the disk around to all of them, install the skins for them and let them try them out.

I do like using skins for FM08 and will when I get FM09, which will not be straight away, but it is not the end of the world for your friends if they do not have skins for the game, as the game will still be the same, just the look of it different.

I'll just make my own skin like last time.

... Hi mate, very very very well to know you're going to create another masterpiece :thup:

Just let me know, will it be the 09 version of your fabolous flex skin ? Can you tell something about the date we can play with it ?

I bought the game, installed it, but won't play till you'll finish your work, so... I'm in your hands :D

... Hi mate, very very very well to know you're going to create another masterpiece :thup:

Just let me know, will it be the 09 version of your fabolous flex skin ? Can you tell something about the date we can play with it ?

I bought the game, installed it, but won't play till you'll finish your work, so... I'm in your hands :D

I didn't realise it had such a hardcore fanbase. I've had a few pm's about it on this and other sites, and I've decided that I'll start work on it within the next couple days

Mainly because I quite miss using it :)

I didn't realise it had such a hardcore fanbase. I've had a few pm's about it on this and other sites, and I've decided that I'll start work on it within the next couple days

Mainly because I quite miss using it :)

I love the Flex skin and it just does not feels right playing FM without it.

Its like, having a pretty lady(always injured) by your side but she's wearing an 80's outfit.

I think SI have done a great job with FM 08 and particularly with FM 09. The skin SI use is not that important as we all know many other skins will soon become available.

Personally the two reasons I changed to another skin in 08 was I found the brightness of the original skin gave me headaches on longish playing sesions and preferred a darker background. The other item I prefer is text buttons rather than icons.

I wlll just add a big thank you to those dedicated and gifted members who put such hard work into producing their new skins.

...i love the flex skin....:-)

the only problem i have with the skin is that the high numbered attributes arent highlighted enough. Rather than using different shades of blue a red, amber, green system should be used.

Quality game though, having an all nighter tonight

you know mate, i cant get my all nighter in at the moment. i will get sleepy and managing my team half asleep. Bright screens make me go sleepy.

i actually dozed off during a match and when i snap back in, Geremi was piledriving a scorcher against me.

A better skin (Flex) will upgrade and boost my all-nighter status.

the only problem i have with the skin is that the high numbered attributes arent highlighted enough. Rather than using different shades of blue a red, amber, green system should be used.

Quality game though, having an all nighter tonight

... Quite sure, skin is a "matter of taste" :thup: , but I can assure you my eyes prefer a dark skin, bright screens reduce the time I can look at the monitor ;)

And flex makes me feel "at home", so many years I spent in front of her :D....

Archived