Non manager jobs in FM

Not sure if it's been asked before, but in FM I remember there being something saying you can have the chance of chairing a club too. It was in one of the files where the Oliver Kahn name could be changed.

Also, is anyone else think that the simple option of being able to manager only reserves would be good?

Like if you want to try something different in the game, or if you just want to build up as a career as in RL. If you were manager of Worksop, and Arsenal offered you to manager their Reserve and under 19 team. I think this would be awesome. Like you could take up the job as assistant manager in effect.

Not sure if it's been asked before, but in FM I remember there being something saying you can have the chance of chairing a club too. It was in one of the files where the Oliver Kahn name could be changed.

Not exactly. There was a file which you could add your details to which would then make it possible that your name would be that of the Chairman of a specified club, but that's as far as it would go - you wouldn't be "playing" as a Chairman. Afterall, this game is "Football Manager" not "Football Chairperson or Manager and possibly tealady" ;)

Other ideas I agree with, have wanted for many years - learn your trade.

Its called football MANAGER.
I mean, c'mon, really? How many times can this topic come up?

Oh come on yourselves, number one surely you can come up with a better challenge to this idea than the name of the game, and number two I suppose there's no chance of you pointing the fella in the direction of a topic similar to this so he can have a look? :rolleyes:

I'm not fussed on the idea of managing reserves etc, reputation growth would be extremely slow in order to mirror real life and in turn this would diminish the chances of moving on to "bigger and better things". You wouldn't be signing players, extending contracts etc because the first team manager would be in charge, essentially a reserve manager would be a really lame DOF game, where the first team manager is the DOF.

That's true, but many managers have to work their way up, like the suggestion stated, by working with reserve or youth teams.

I think he was more referring to the "Chairman" bit mate :)

i wouldnt mind having the option to be whatever you want: Manager, Reserves Manager, Under 18 manager, Chairman.... would be cool ey. If you are just an Assistant Manager i think it will get a little bit boring! Being the Under 18, Reserve manager should be interesting cos at least u r playing the games! Being the chairman? oohhh that's something else! You can do deals behind the manager's back, discussing sponsorship deals, ticket pricing, building the stadiums, treathing the fans of selling the club , buy a different club in a different country?.... the options are endless!

Being the chairman? oohhh that's something else! You can do deals behind the manager's back, discussing sponsorship deals, ticket pricing, building the stadiums, treathing the fans of selling the club :D, buy a different club in a different country?.... the options are endless!

Sponsorship deals once a season, ticket pricing pretty much once a season, building stadiums once every 20 years etc etc. What would you do the other 51 weeks of the year?

im sure there are other thins which a chairman do, simple things which would make it more fun. However its true, it needs to be interesting!.

Then it depends how much you will be interfering in the management of the team. How about you sack the manager and you take over yourself until you appoint a manager? (i know it nearly never happens irl) Playing in chairman mode there is a very thin line between what they do legally and what is illegal or immoral. I dont think that any immoral options would ever be included.

The whole Reserves / Assistant could role into one.

You could take control of training of all teams and the teams put out for Reserves / U19's and other things that the "assistant" can do in the manager options now. Maybe some extra things too? This would have to be looked into.

Also, with the people saying it's Football Manager, well yes, ok, fair do's, but when CM started it wasn't nearly the game it is now in terms of depth. The game always needs to grow and evolve and also, really to keep it on top, try something that isn't available anywhere else in any other game.

some one made the point a while ago that you should be able to have reserve and youth managers for clubs in the same way you do for nations and i thought that was a good idea. i was actually about to make a new post to see if any one knows if this will be on fm09?

Being able to manage an U19 (or whatever age group it is) or reserve team would be fine so long as it doesn't mess up any other aspect of the game. Personally I'd get bored rigid, but whatever lights your fire. I don't even manage my own club's U18s or reserves let alone managing only those!

I think chairman would be a great option, it would give long term games something to build up to, and something relevant to spend your imaginary accumulated wages on. Not so keen on the non-first team roles, there isn't enough potential depth there to have an interesting game, to be honest

I don't see the harm in being able to start off as a youth team or reserve team manager. Personally, I don't see the positions as being particullarly enjoyable after too long, but thats not to say the positions shouldn't be in the game, providing the main aspect of the game isn't effected by the inclusion that is.

The chairman idea is a no no however. After a while it will get incredibly boring. The role will just become repetitive after a while.

OK

Here are some potential Chairman functions and features in addition to manager functions (I assume by buying a club you would install yourself as chairman manager in the game):

Ultimate responsibility over the club finances (Bigger risk if you are setting your own budgets)

More involving club sponsorship decisions (length, amount, type of sponsors)

More involvement in stadium and facility decisions (expand the stadium, by how many seats? Set some kind of maintenance level, will it affect attendances and the state of repair of the stadium?)

Increased negative impact on attendances based on your performance as manager (Pressure to sell up?)

Possibly slightly more ability to attract reputable players to the club based on your reputation if you are a lower league club?

Ignore staff and coach limits

Possible reserve and youth manager functions and features

No ability to conduct transfers.

Enjoy fielding all those greyed out players when youth players invariably get punted from the club as their contracts expire in the first few seasons.

Slightly more challenging team selection as you never know who the AI has decided will be a reserve this week.

Not exactly. There was a file which you could add your details to which would then make it possible that your name would be that of the Chairman of a specified club, but that's as far as it would go - you wouldn't be "playing" as a Chairman. Afterall, this game is "Football Manager" not "Football Chairperson or Manager and possibly tealady" ;)

Any chance of kit manager or clubhouse painter?

On one FM I can't remember which one I was an international manager when I got a message saying I had been hired as a coach by some team. I could view the sides etc. but not actually do something.

Edit: It may have been one of the Champ Mans when SI still did them.

Oh come on yourselves, number one surely you can come up with a better challenge to this idea than the name of the game, and number two I suppose there's no chance of you pointing the fella in the direction of a topic similar to this so he can have a look? :rolleyes:

I'm not fussed on the idea of managing reserves etc, reputation growth would be extremely slow in order to mirror real life and in turn this would diminish the chances of moving on to "bigger and better things". You wouldn't be signing players, extending contracts etc because the first team manager would be in charge, essentially a reserve manager would be a really lame DOF game, where the first team manager is the DOF.

Fair enough. I usually link people to the appropriate threads. But once in awhile I'd rather defer this to an official moderator or a person in a more generous mood. I'm surprised how often this particular topic comes up and how little linking is done. I believe there are some SI comments on the idea somewhere...

Smac, SI have commented on this? Link please?

SI have been commenting on this since the forum first opened. And it's always the same thing which we've said before - this is Football Manager.

Sorry, I read this wrong - thought you were talking about the Financial Manager/Chairman idea which is where the "Football Manager" bit comes from. IIRC SI said they'd want to sort out the main manager job before any other type of team manager.

I'm actually quite proud that only a couple of people have resorted to the "This is Football Manager" argument so far, because that is the poorest argument that you could ever make, in fact so bad I would consider it a non-argument. If anybody made that argument to me to show that something should not be done I would go ahead and do it just out of spite.

However I don't see how managing a youth team* would be much different, experience-wise to managing say a division 6 team. It would just be a novelty in my opinion.

*or a reserve team

Especially looking at reserve teams in the game right now, where some are empty, some have only 3 or 4 available players, some have like 60 players, this would not be very fun.

Has anyone from SI replied about why you cant start as a reserve team or U-18s manager. I think it would be cool to build up from that I dont think any other jobs like chairman or assistant should be in it. I mean look at stuart pearce IRL he went from Man City manager to England U-21 manager only. I think it would be ace to start as a big teams youth team manager and then maybe be approached by a second or third teir team to become their full team manager.

Has anyone from SI replied about why you cant start as a reserve team or U-18s manager. I think it would be cool to build up from that I dont think any other jobs like chairman or assistant should be in it. I mean look at stuart pearce IRL he went from Man City manager to England U-21 manager only. I think it would be ace to start as a big teams youth team manager and then maybe be approached by a second or third teir team to become their full team manager.

Never seen it AND it's much harder to search for than the previous post I found :D

Archived