PPM - "Attempts to score from his own half"

Xabi Alonso.

He tried it again last night, in fact he does it so often it should be regarded as a PPM.

Although he's one of very few players in the world (I can't, at this moment, think of any others) who tries this and it would probably be rejected as an idea by SI, but I think it would be a nice touch.

I'm certain the GK of all Liverpool's opponents are now told to be wary of straying too far from their line when he is playing, just in case....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEluONw03dE&feature=related

Obviously, this is a very specific PPM, but does anyone else think it should be added?

In the interest of realism and all.

I think this would add another sense of realism to the game, aslong as it didn't happen like every match. It would need to be controlled so that it only happens on rare occasions otherwise everytime the player got the ball they would have a shot.

I think this would add another sense of realism to the game, aslong as it didn't happen like every match. It would need to be controlled so that it only happens on rare occasions otherwise everytime the player got the ball they would have a shot.

Of course, they would be more likely to do it when the keeper is WAY off his line, as Xabi does IRL - he's always at it. :D

He scored from mid way into his own half during last seasons Scottish cup run.

Ryan McCann was trying to find a video but i cant

so heres a newpaper bit

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/scottish-football/scottish-cup/2008/03/09/queen-of-the-south-2-0-dundee-78057-20345516/

But could it be considered a PPM for him, or just a one-off with the keeper stranded?

Plenty of players have tried and a few have scored this type of goal, but I can only think of Xabi Alonso, Pele*, and to a lesser extent David Beckham who actively "try" it with the goal keeper in his box.

*I remember reading a story after Becks scored "that" goal; the journalist commented that he'd managed to score the goal that even eluded the great Pele. Although I obviously never seen Pele trying it, I'm assuming he did a few times, judging by that comment.

Ziovanni Oliveira used to do that once in every game , he had scored like 2 goals in 5 years from that distance so i think this is pretty meaningless .

If you mean it would be meaningless to have in FM, then I disagree.

In the case of Alonso, it is something he does do a lot; thereby it is a "Preferred Move", much in the same way Jens Lehmann "Argues with officials" and "Winds up opponents" - meaningless to the game, but he DOES do it...

*I remember reading a story after Becks scored "that" goal; the journalist commented that he'd managed to score the goal that even eluded the great Pele. Although I obviously never seen Pele trying it, I'm assuming he did a few times, judging by that comment.

Pele famously tried it during the 1970 world cup but it went wide. During the same world cup he famously sold the goalie a dummy by letting the ball go round one side of him and then running around the other side to collect it - but he then missed the open goal.

It was strange because growing up everyone talked about Pele being the greatest but the 2 clips I saw most were of him missing the goal!

Pele famously tried it during the 1970 world cup but it went wide. During the same world cup he famously sold the goalie a dummy by letting the ball go round one side of him and then running around the other side to collect it - but he then missed the open goal.

It was strange because growing up everyone talked about Pele being the greatest but the 2 clips I saw most were of him missing the goal!

I guess that would be because he scored so many goals, videos of him actually missing were more interesting...

I wonder if the PPM "Misses open nets" should be added for some players?... ;)

Those two and also Bobby Moore tackling him and getting the ball off him on the edge of the area - like you i never saw his appeal since every clip i saw was him failing in some way

why not just make it so all creative players (some other attribute) try it when the keeper is off his line.

I'm pretty sure Zidane would have had a Creativity rating of 20 at his peak. Yet, he never once tried to lob the keeper from the halfway line (that I am aware of). Zizou was still arguably much more creative than Xabi Alonso, too. If you want to factor in Long Shots, Decisions and Flair, it may or may not still reflect this.

While I feel that Creativity should play a role, a PPM would serve better, as this isn't a sort of "standard" behaviour of the typical player.

I'm pretty sure Zidane would have had a Creativity rating of 20 at his peak. Yet, he never once tried to lob the keeper from the halfway line (that I am aware of). Zizou was still arguably much more creative than Xabi Alonso, too. If you want to factor in Long Shots, Decisions and Flair, it may or may not still reflect this.

While I feel that Creativity should play a role, a PPM would serve better, as this isn't a sort of "standard" behaviour of the typical player.

Totally agree with you there Xennaz.

Zidane never tried it despite being ludicrously gifted.

Is there anyone else in football at the minute who actively tries this in the same way that Xabi does? I can't think of anyone else but I don't (and can't) watch every league.

I think if this is a PPM (IRL) exclusive to one single player then SI will just disregard it as not important enough to implement into FM, sadly.

Although it was in the attacking half, I'm sure the Arsenal/Spurs fans will still remember the Naim goal.

Maybe it would be better to have a "tries to beat keeper off his line" PPM instead of from own half. It would accommodate more players then to be feasible.

So something like "likes to lob keeper"?

Oh wait.. :D

Yes that is there but it is rare that you see anyone try and lob a keeper if they aren't around/in the box or a one-on-one situation. Plus the keeper doesn't necessarily have to be far from the line in order to lob him.

This one is more if the keeper is around 9+ yards out and player will have a go for the sake of it (no matter where they are).

yeah i think it should be added. because some players do try it often.

but some people are just going to want to add every single one they can think of like plays short corners and cracks under pressure (eg bramble :p).

but the more added the more realistic and personal the game will become.

Those two and also Bobby Moore tackling him and getting the ball off him on the edge of the area - like you i never saw his appeal since every clip i saw was him failing in some way

Pele mentioned that in his autobiography. He found it funny that people would always see those goals, and remember him for them.

Don't forget Gordon Banks' save...

I think "likes to lob keeper" covers this very nicely. As it is, players try to score from their own half in FM anyway, so the "ltlk" PPM could come into effect when a keeper is several yards off his line and the player had the ball in his own half.

Archived