Why can't I offer contracts to certain players?

Hep!

I've been wondering about this for a while now. I love to snap up some good players from clubs when their contracts are expiring. But there's just some players I can't offer contracts, even though their contracts are expiring within 6 months. At the moment we're talking players like Salomon Kalou, Ballack, Vaz Te, Flamini and such.

Is there a reason for this?

Yeh, if you are an english club signing a player from another english club then you will have to wait until a month before his contract runs out before you can offer him a contract :).

If you are an english club trying to sign a player who plays for a club outside of england then you can offer them a contract 6 months before their contract expires.

Yeh, if you are an english club signing a player from another english club then you will have to wait until a month before his contract runs out before you can offer him a contract :).

If you are an english club trying to sign a player who plays for a club outside of england then you can offer them a contract 6 months before their contract expires.

which is annoying if you desperately want someone and theyre already considering contracts

That's when you make a bid for them - if the club accepts your bid, you can negotiate a contract for a July 1st transfer. The club *should* - no guarantees! - realize that they're facing the prospect of losing him July 1st on a free anyways, and accept a nominal transfer fee.

That's when you make a bid for them - if the club accepts your bid, you can negotiate a contract for a July 1st transfer. The club *should* - no guarantees! - realize that they're facing the prospect of losing him July 1st on a free anyways, and accept a nominal transfer fee.

I try to offer smaller bids going by that theory, but sadly it never appears to work.

I've had some luck with it; its one of the things I hope has been improved in the FM'09 rewrite.

I just can't wait until Miles releases some more information about improvements.

This idea would be a good addition to the transfer system. And as they've ripped it up and completely rewritten it, God only knows what it'll be like....

I could not offer one to Shust from Shakhtar even though his contract had less than a month left, I am not certain as it was an old game but I think I could sign him for free even when his contract expired.

Shakhtar play in Ukraine, a non-EEC country. Only EEC countries are obliged to accept the Bosman ruling.

If the country itself or football association doesn't accept the Bosman ruling, then you can't have their players on a free regardless of contract.

Archived