Penalty Showdown

yes, i agree... to many penalties are missed... way to many ... but its those strange things like those things of you losing a game in 2 minutes of extra time, when the refere gave 7 ou 6 minutes os extra time ... there are a couple of strange and annoing things :p but the game is excelent of course

Yeah, penalties are either slammed into the left or the right of the net. Or straight at the 'keeper who (obviously) saves.

I rarely see them go wide or over, or have the 'keeper tip it round/over the post/bar.

I never understand it when about 6 penaltys in a row (3 pens each) all get hit in the middle of goal and the goalie saves it. Its stupid! hardly anyone in real life puts a penalty down the middle!

EDIT: I'm never ever optimistic that i'm gonna win a penalty shoot-out. Especially if its one of those games where you've dominated and they get last min equaliser... you just know that they will win!

This argument is of course based on a statistically very narrow base. You might think that the amount of missed penalties in FM08 is way too high in comparison to RL. However the point is that you see the FM World through the eyes of a single manager in the entire database functioning as background for your particular game. If you combine your experience of the rate of missed penalties with ALL the other penalties calculated in the match engine, I bet the result will reflect quite nicely to the strange thing called real life.

Right now I'm in 2020/2021 season and my squad is full of regens which pretty much means I have zero chance of winning a shootout as every other team still has a couple of 'real' players. Lost the FA cup final to Liverpool in a shootout last season. The main problem is that there are virtually no regens with a penalty taking attribute over 7. And the fact that keepers never actually save anything, they only catch it when it's hit straight at them. Should all even out in a couple of seasons though when all the real players bugger off.

Should all even out in a couple of seasons though when all the real players bugger off.

It should do, but it's not really good enough either way tbh. In a few seasons you'll be watching a farce of a penalty shootout with more misses than goals, given the poor attributes.

It should do, but it's not really good enough either way tbh. In a few seasons you'll be watching a farce of a penalty shootout with more misses than goals, given the poor attributes.

Yeah, of course it isn't and I hope the set piece attributes for regens are looked at for 09. But at least I'll have a chance of winning a shootout in a couple of years, it'll at least be farcical showing from both sides not just mine :)

Archived