'07, '08, '09...

FM2007 notwithstanding I have, historically been a year (sometimes a couple of years) behind FM releases purely 'cos...

A - I don't really feel the need to own the latest version of FM (must be my age!).

B - The problems/glitches are known and/or ironed out by the time I buy my latest copy of the game.

...and...

C - I get a lot of enjoyment from the longevity of a Management Career (that and I don't play 24/7!).

This being the case I'm now due an upgrade (from FM2007 to FM2008 if my buying History remains consistent) however in view of the comments '08 has received since release (on this Forum), its' perceived similarity to FM2007 and the radical overhaul to the game engine for FM2009 I'm considering jumping straight to FM2009.

Before all of the naysayers and 'fanatics' come a knockin' (ridiculing me for not supporting SI and shelling out for the latest release) I'd better add that this isn't a financial decision it's purely the aforementioned reasons that dictate my FM use/ownership.

So, my question to the Forum is; Given the choice (and attempting to remove the 'oops there's a puddle in my pants' excitement of the annual FM release date) what would you prefer... What you know (assuming you're still using '07) '08 or a radical change '09?

I realise that the majority (if not all) of the answers will be '09 however I'd like some clarification 'Why?' ...with the benefit of hindsight is/was '08 so bad? Was it '07 with a couple of flashy bits bolted on? Is the lure of the '09 3d match engine that much of a positive? Do we really need to buy FM annually considering the depth of gameplay that the game offers the user (actually that's probably not a question that SI would any of us to consider for too long!).

Cheers

Steve

Well i bought fm2006 about 8/9 months ago and im still having fun playing that, I am just into my third season all this time later because i watch all my games on full highlights and i only play 3 or 4 days a week. If your enjoying the fm your playing carry on, im considering getting fm 2009 but im not sure if my laptop is up to it. I run all english league spanish 1st division and serie a. Though as each new version is realeased i hope it is optimised to run better so hopefully my laptop can run fm2009, i will consider it when i see the systems requirements.

IF you are a career gamer, then give FM08 a miss. There are too many issues with the regen system to make a long-term game as enjoyable as it should be. Not enough high quality players appear in later years for it to remain realistic.

This will be solved in FM09. Furthermore, the ME will have improved significantly since FM08 due to the impact of FML. For me, given that FM09 is less than two months away, it is a no brainer.

I would go straight to FM09 mate. I have really enjoyed FM08 but like you said there isn't much difference between FM07 and FM08. Ofcourse there will be a few bugs and problems on FM09 when it is realeased but that will be sorted soon enough so you won't have to worry about that :).

I would have FM09 last year, if I could.

For many reasons, and wwfan has just mentioned one of them - the quality of regens. My longest game on FM08 is 9 seasons before the game was flooded with poor regens and/or players with attributes in all the wrong places.

FM has evolved slightly with each new incarnation, and there really isn't (on first impression at least) TOO many discernible differences between each release. But the difference with FM09 is palpable - Revolutionary, if you will - not just with the 3D match engine, but on so many different facets that the decision NOT to buy it for whatever reason is, well, after all that ^^^ I'm suffering writers block and can't think of the word... ;)

BUY FM09!! :thup:

IF you are a career gamer, then give FM08 a miss. There are too many issues with the regen system to make a long-term game as enjoyable as it should be. Not enough high quality players appear in later years for it to remain realistic.

Just wondering if this is also the case for FM7 (as its pre FM8)? I have only played 3 or 4 seasons with FM7, so never really got to the point where I could judge that aspect.

Just wondering if this is also the case for FM7 (as its pre FM8)? I have only played 3 or 4 seasons with FM7, so never really got to the point where I could judge that aspect.

IIRC people really enjoyed the regens in FM07.

But, what-ev. FM08 has some things going for it over FM07. But as a game for fun's sake I would probably take it in this order:

FM06, FM07, FM08. Hopefully FM09 will break the duck.

No, it happened in 08 only.

Ok, thank you

IIRC people really enjoyed the regens in FM07.

But, what-ev. FM08 has some things going for it over FM07. But as a game for fun's sake I would probably take it in this order:

FM06, FM07, FM08. Hopefully FM09 will break the duck.

By (less) fun you mean its more realistic and therefore harder?

Thanks for all of the responses gents (I'm assuming there are no ladies replying!).

It's pretty much the sort of replies that I was expecting however I notice that no-one has addressed the 'Do we really need to buy FM annually?' question!

Fm09 will be better than FM 08, FM08 is better than FM07, FM07 is better than FM 06.

It's pretty straight forward really.

See, I don't necassarily think that's the case (as has been highlighted with the replies addressing the negligible difference between '07 or '08 and in addition the consistent and continual plaudits for CM 01/02), tweeks to '07 for the '08 release were not heralded with the fanfare of previous releases from users ('06 to '07 being an immediate case in point). I would assume that SI rely greatly on the consistency of their customer base and in turn their willingness to shell out annually for FM, the fact that you have responded in such a way would lead me to believe that you buy the game year in, year out so are one of their loyalty card holders.

This is in no way intended to be a post criticizing SI's global selling technique (far be it from me to diss what is obviously a successful business!), I'm just interested in promoting a discussion that relates to our obsession with the game while I now wait for '09 to be released I suppose (it makes a refreshing change to the tired old 'FM is crap I'm leaving' or 'Why do I keep losing my last League Game despite playing it umpteen times' anyway)!

Cheers

Steve

Personally i find fm07 and 08 very very similar. I wouldnt bother buying 08 knowing that 09 is just round the corner. 09 promises to be a very good upgrade from 07 or 08 thus I would for the time being enjoy 07 and when 09 comes out play the demo and if i like it i would buy it.

Just my opinion!

Al

Like Steve I am still playing FM2007. I don't feel the need to buy a new version every year just for the up to date transfers, add this to the regen problem and the less than ground breaking (although welcome) new additions mean I won't be buying FM2008.

Having seen what FM2009 seems to have in store, I am seriously considering buying this new version - although I will give it a couple of months after release (or maybe until the first patch) to see what the general consensus is.

In response to the argument that it is better to buy a earlier release when the bugs have been fully ironed out, FM07 and 08 have been playable out the box. Where the problems arise in terms of "bugs" is on this forum. We see reports of bugs that some of us would never encounter or notice, yet reading them on the boards makes us feel that our current copy of the game is inadequate and volatile.

I am slightly weary of FM09, just because I see the jump from FM08 to be similar to that of the jump from CM01/02 to 02/03, where the 2D match engine was released and chaos ensued. That game was a catastrophic disappointment and it was several months after buying the game before it was truly playable (as the bugs in that one were pretty severe e.g.: scores reported on a results page not reflecting the match you had just played!).

However, I think lessons have been learned and certainly the last two incarnations of FM have had a tighter, safe feel straight off the shelf. With the introduction of the 3D match engine alone, I cannot see myself ever wanting to return to 2D.

I'd probably enjoy the game more if i went from FM2007 to 2009. Sometimes the yearly releases just seem like minor updates, and in the case of FM08, they do more harm than good.

FM08 was not playable out of the box. Every second goal was disallowed! You wouldn't have your contract renewed if you won the league but got knocked out in the 4th round of the league cup.

Strikers shooting straight at the keeper 99% of the time (was that introduced in 8.0.1)?

So playable out of the box? No it wasn't.

One option for you is to ignore both 08 and 09. Keep playing your current version for now. If you enjoy it, why not? Look at the threads about the new features in FM09, and you'll notice that the people from SI are suggesting the new features, in particular the 3D view, are almost being trialed in 09. when asked about detail levels, such as stadiums and players features, they say that kind of thing won't appear in this years game, suggesting it is very much a work in progress.

having said that, this year could be the biggest leap since 05, and you'll do well not to get caught up in the excitement. Why not try the demo and go from there?

I am still playing 07, really getting into it, the same as yourself really, only play it couple of times a week and feel no need to have the latest and shiniest version. But I think that is more a society thing than an FM thing...we are a throw away society and are always looking to the newest model of whatever it is.

In saying that I am excited by the prospect of 09 and will judge whether to buy based on the demo when it comes out. I could quite happily carry on with 07 but I am eager to see if the new features make the game play more enjoyable and a little less repetitive.

Wait to see how 09 will turn out, 3d engine is a big step and many problems may arise ( i hope not ).

IMO 07 is superior from 08 since the latest one can only offer frustration ( and over everything)

they said 3d and 2d match engines are the same ME. but I know what you're trying to say. I just think I'll continue to watch my games in 2d and finally enjoy it.

to the OP: if you try a demo I don't think you'll go back to 07. I wish I was on your place. you should expect a tougher and more realistic game.

Archived