Can't wait for the new transfer system!

Just finished a season and wanted to experiment really. To put it simply, I'm Real Madrid and basically won everything there was the past season. I decided to see how much interest my squad would get if i put them all up for transfer! Considering my teams Reputation and probably the players reputation are sky high, including some who have just won the world cup. So you would expect at least half of the team to have interest in them, no? All world-class players yet there is only interest in 3 out of 25+(price set as their value - tried this without being on transfer list and also on transfer list!). Theres definitely something wrong with that! Can't wait to see how they've improved this in 09.

PGB

I couldn't care less if the match engine isn't improved! I have no problem putting together a group of players to send out on the pitch, but tactics are such a mess it doesn't really matter who the players are.

Oh yes! Couldn't agree more!

Thankfully they've completely re-written the transfer module. Safe to say the first thing i'll be doing with the demo is selling a few players and buying a few players...

Just finished a season and wanted to experiment really. To put it simply, I'm Real Madrid and basically won everything there was the past season. I decided to see how much interest my squad would get if i put them all up for transfer! Considering my teams Reputation and probably the players reputation are sky high, including some who have just won the world cup. So you would expect at least half of the team to have interest in them, no? All world-class players yet there is only interest in 3 out of 25+(price set as their value - tried this without being on transfer list and also on transfer list!). Theres definitely something wrong with that! Can't wait to see how they've improved this in 09.

PGB

Definately the worst parts of FM2008, I sooooooo hope they have got this right now

... I'm Real Madrid ..... (price set as their value)

The bolded item is your problem.

Their value to Real Madrid is what you are seeing, not their "open market value". Since most teams in the world aren't able to compete with Real financially, most teams can't afford that fee, and most aren't going to bother to bid.

Further, there's the issue of the player's desires - most of the teams are making the assumption that the player will want a salary comparable or higher to what you are paying them, and will want to move to a club of comparable stature. Again, that rules out most of the clubs in the world.

If no club is satisfying those criteria, no club will bid.

Yes, I hope that the new transfer system sees a bit more activity - more "WNT" when you explicitly transfer-list a player, teams bidding what they think the player is worth rather than not-bidding, and actual back-and-forth negotiations for both transfer fees and salaries - but I'd expect that the experiment you've just run would flop with the new transfer system just as it did with FM'09.

Their value to Real Madrid is what you are seeing, not their "open market value". Since most teams in the world aren't able to compete with Real financially, most teams can't afford that fee, and most aren't going to bother to bid.

Further, there's the issue of the player's desires - most of the teams are making the assumption that the player will want a salary comparable or higher to what you are paying them, and will want to move to a club of comparable stature. Again, that rules out most of the clubs in the world.

Yes, I hope that the new transfer system sees a bit more activity - more "WNT" when you explicitly transfer-list a player, teams bidding what they think the player is worth rather than not-bidding, and actual back-and-forth negotiations for both transfer fees and salaries - but I'd expect that the experiment you've just run would flop with the new transfer system just as it did with FM'09.

I disagree with that! There are at least 3 clubs in England that can compete financially with Real Madrid! But either way you would expect more than a couple of players to attract bids. Can you imagine IRL if the whole Real squad was put on the market then they would all get snapped up!

I sign Fazier Campbell on a free who went on to score 103 goals in 2 seasons helping me get promoted to PL. his value went to £5.75m he was on 17K a week. I decided to sell him and use the money to buy a much better stiker (his stats were not brilliant by PL standards but good at championship level). Sell him I couldn't even give him away on a free, 2 years later hes still with me as a back up striker as he isn't bothered about being in the reserves.

I disagree with that! There are at least 3 clubs in England that can compete financially with Real Madrid! But either way you would expect more than a couple of players to attract bids. Can you imagine IRL if the whole Real squad was put on the market then they would all get snapped up!

Sure, there are a few clubs in the world which can compete ...

... but if, IRL, the whole Real squad was put on the market, you'd hear media terms like "fire sale", and prices would drop faster than stocks in U.S. banks are right now.

You wouldn't see the entire Real squad fetch world-class prices.

I sign Fazier Campbell on a free who went on to score 103 goals in 2 seasons helping me get promoted to PL. his value went to £5.75m he was on 17K a week. I decided to sell him and use the money to buy a much better stiker (his stats were not brilliant by PL standards but good at championship level). Sell him I couldn't even give him away on a free, 2 years later hes still with me as a back up striker as he isn't bothered about being in the reserves.

This is a much bigger problem than the OP's post, in my mind - and I've had a similar experience, though not with the same player.

When we promote a club from the Championship to the EPL, we typically bring in a number of players .. which means that the former core of our team are now fringe players, and our former fringe players are now rotting in the reserves. However, the same dynamics come into play: AI teams seem to pre-emptively think "Well, he wouldn't be willing to come back down to the Championship, so I just won't bid," or "Well, we can't afford his wages, so we just won't bid."

What we need a bit more of is bids where the bidding club comes in on a low price and demands that the selling club cover part of the wages, as happens IRL .. I haven't seen it happen in-game in FM'08 even once (though it used to happen in older versions) .. we also need teams of lower reputation to be willing to bid for a player, and for "sidelined" players to be willing to move to a lower reputation club.

The problem with that is, its going to make it easier for us, the aggressive human managers, to climb up the ranks with successive promotions as it makes it easier for us to acquire better players earlier.

Sure, there are a few clubs in the world which can compete ...

... but if, IRL, the whole Real squad was put on the market, you'd hear media terms like "fire sale", and prices would drop faster than stocks in U.S. banks are right now.

You wouldn't see the entire Real squad fetch world-class prices.

The fact is there would still be interest in most of the players and there would be bids put in if they were transfer listed

On FM this doesn't happen, simple as

IRL if some Real Madrid (first team) players are transfer listed many big clubs would be interested.

Even rich medium club in England (ex. Manchester City,Tottenham) will try what they can to snap up a star player.

In FM08 the Robinho transfer (at august 2008) will never happen...

The fact is there would still be interest in most of the players and there would be bids put in if they were transfer listed

There's a difference between a public short-list and a private short-list. "WNT" only shows for clubs who have placed the player on a public short-list. We don't have any visibility into which teams "are interested", because we can't see the private short-list.

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem; as I've said earlier, I'd like to see under-value bids, additional speculation, and additional interest.

I'm just saying that the OP's methodology is fundamentally flawed, and his conclusion is fundamentally flawed.

Their value to Real Madrid is what you are seeing, not their "open market value".

Actually it's funny that you say that, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before. And I agree with you totally. It'll be interesting to see how their player valuation modules function (in practice, of course!)

I see things like Liverpool buying Riera for £8m-odd, yet I tried to emulate that on 8.0.2 and got whacked for £12m. Mind, the situation was probably a bit different. But still. I hope prices are a bit more realistic!

Actually it's funny that you say that, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before. And I agree with you totally. It'll be interesting to see how their player valuation modules function (in practice, of course!)

I see things like Liverpool buying Riera for £8m-odd, yet I tried to emulate that on 8.0.2 and got whacked for £12m. Mind, the situation was probably a bit different. But still. I hope prices are a bit more realistic!

I've tried to follow real-life transfers on FM and it's next to impossible.

The AI teams usually want exorbitant prices for their players, and they're stubborn as hell.

To be fair though, this is just the AI teams way of saying "the player is not for sale, but if you bid stupid money, we'll have to accept"....

These are all valid points and on some bits i agree and some i don't agree. Surely we could atleast be informed as to why none of these players have any interest!?! rather then just saying putting them on the transfer list would help generate more interest.

Also, by the fact that im in 2015 and many clubs now have a lot of money including me and the rise in players contract demands anyway... Then surely people would be interested even if they think the price is too high! They should still try negotiate with me... Most of the players should get interest regardless of what price i'm asking!

EDIT: Also i'm pretty dam sure that if i lowered asking price by 10mil say i still wouldn't get much more interest!

I think a lot of managers are programmed not to be ambitious. You wouldn't get audacious Robinho bids from a rich Manchester City in this game. Nor for some reason despite a player hinting at a permanent deal when on loan, that loaning team doesn't even consider buying the player later. For example, I loaned out Lulinha to Valencia and he ended as 3rd top scorer in La Liga, but Valencia didn't even consider trying to sign him later - he'd've wanted to, as he was backup for me.

Ambitious bids, funny bids, stupid bids - I'd like to see more. And I'd also like to see players move to lower levels despite all odds, for various reasons (good manager, I hate so-and-so, etc.).

I've tried to follow real-life transfers on FM and it's next to impossible.

The AI teams usually want exorbitant prices for their players, and they're stubborn as hell.

To be fair though, this is just the AI teams way of saying "the player is not for sale, but if you bid stupid money, we'll have to accept"....

It's also the AI bumping up the price because you can probably afford it. I don't think the issue is so much values, but more an issue that it is too easy to build up a vast fortune at almost any club.

All I want from the new transfer system is to be able to sell my players I no longer want for a reasonable fee.

If I remember rightly, this was pretty easy to do with the unpatched boxed game last time around. There is an argument that is was possibly too easy I suppose.

I remember being a championship team and I would get offers for my players from lower league clubs as I would expect to happen in real life.

Then 8.0.1 appeared and we were back to FM07 again where it was almost impossible to shift these players.

Fees and salaries don't really seem to be the problem, I think it's more of a rep issue. You can offer world-class players, who are on very reasonable wages, for $0 transfer fee and get no interest whatsoever. Seems to be that there is a sort of rep curve - up-and-coming players will draw large bids from the AI, many times their listed value, (and get put on HUGE salaries if sold, so clearly this is not the issue). But beyond a certain spot on the rep curve, once they are established first-team regulars in my team, I have huge problems getting rid of them.

In my current game as Liverpool, Arsenal are interested in over 10 of my youngsters around 18-23 and are constantly making bids. If I sell them, easily for 2 to 4 times their listed value, they get put on something like $90,000+ a week. However, many of my first-teamers, who at about age 28 have maxed their PAs and are currently better than the youngsters, draw zero interest even if they are mostly on $40,000 to $60,000 a week. [btw I've had the "selling club covering wages thing a few times]

Anyway, in real life it is very rare that a player, no matter how good or bad or willing to move or not, persists in staying at the club despite being transfer-listed and being told he is not wanted. A move mutually acceptable to both parties is nearly always found at the end; hope FM09 reflects this.

PGB_SPURS, these two points I strongly agree with:

These are all valid points and on some bits i agree and some i don't agree. Surely we could atleast be informed as to why none of these players have any interest!?! rather then just saying putting them on the transfer list would help generate more interest.

Also, by the fact that im in 2015 and many clubs now have a lot of money including me and the rise in players contract demands anyway... Then surely people would be interested even if they think the price is too high! They should still try negotiate with me... Most of the players should get interest regardless of what price i'm asking!

I think the latter point, especially, is how the negotiations should start ... you've offered the player out for 20M and you get no bids, but a couple of teams "interested". Over the next couple of weeks, you get transfer speculation, enquiries, and trial (low-ball) bids.

Fees and salaries don't really seem to be the problem, I think it's more of a rep issue. You can offer world-class players, who are on very reasonable wages, for $0 transfer fee and get no interest whatsoever. Seems to be that there is a sort of rep curve - up-and-coming players will draw large bids from the AI, many times their listed value, (and get put on HUGE salaries if sold, so clearly this is not the issue). But beyond a certain spot on the rep curve, once they are established first-team regulars in my team, I have huge problems getting rid of them.

I think this is the other large component of the problem - teams are making the assumption that the player wouldn't be willing to move, so they don't even bid. (Possibly on purpose, to keep us from getting frustrated when the player doesn't accept their offer?)

I think players need to do a much better job of recognizing when they are sidelined, rotting in the Reserves, etc. Not just for toggling an "unhappy" state, but when bids start to come in, realizing that they're on the bench, in the Reserves, etc, ought to make them more likely to accept a move.

Also, offering the player out and generating a bunch of transfer rumour surrounding him ought to unsettle him .. and being unsettled ought to make him more likely to accept a move. Likewise, bringing in better players at his position (as in the I-just-promoted-to-the-Premiership case) ought to indicate to the player that he's no longer as big a part of our plans. That should make him more willing to move.

Then we need teams of lower reputation / lower division to be willing to bid for a player, and for "sidelined" players to be willing to move to a lower reputation club, as I said earlier.

So, yes, you're right, that's going to have been a large component of SPURS' problem: after Real Madrid won everything, their reputation is the highest in the game, and the players' reputation should be sky-high as well. Teams need to be willing to bid even though they might be perceived as "a step down" - and they aren't, currently.

Theres been tons of problems for transfers, I have high hopes for the 09 transfer system but more realistically since it has been revamped I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a couple versions to actually get it right.

Transfers in 08 seemed to actually work more realistically in the January window than it did in the off season, teams seemed to buy players they needed more often than that 40 million transfered striker that sits on the bench all season then they offload the next season for 11 million

Excuse me if I'm incorrect, but so far all we've heard about the transfer module is that the underlying code has been completely rewritten, and that 'the user shouldn't notice a difference, except that things will be faster'.

I know it is true that 'the entire transfer module has been rewritten', but until SI describe any functional / mechanical changes in how the module will work, I'm going to assume its only a performance upgrade. I too would want many of the changes listed in this thread, but perhaps we're not going to get any?

We've seen many times in real life that no one is indispensable even after a Champions' League win.

We've seen many squad players for big teams go on to be major players for teams lower down the league, or in leagues with lower perceived reputations. For example, even a great talent like Juan Riquelme was surplus to requirements at Barcelona, but he had no problems joining Villareal, even though they weren't a top team at the time. But he's still there.

Also Stephen Warnock left Liverpool and became an England international at Blackburn. Phil Neville went to Everton and now captains the side. Barry Ferguson is a good example too.

If Darren Fletcher or Abou Diaby or John Mikel or Nicklas Bendtner was put up for sale, you could almost bet your house that Premier League teams outside the big four or even other teams in the big four would at least test the water by bidding tentatively for them.

There were a couple of examples this year, such as the moves of Louis Saha and Tal Ben Haim. Those players could be big stars in other European leagues, and thus Man Utd and Chelsea had no problems selling them.

It would be great if lower division teams would bid for your squad players too, and show some ambition, like Ipswich signing Ivan Campo and Sheff Utd getting Beattie.

For example, even a great talent like Juan Riquelme was surplus to requirements at Barcelona, but he had no problems joining Villareal, even though they weren't a top team at the time. But he's still there.

Better inform Boca Juniors

Archived