UK 2012 Olympic Team (ingame FM09)

Guest ajdavies

Guest ajdavies

On the new FM, when the 2012 olympics come around will there be a UK team?? (If so, will it be manageable??)

EDIT:

Just to set the record straight:

As it stands no final decision has been made on whether its going to happen IRL or not (or which nations are involved)

This thread isnt really to discuss whether or not it should happen IRL or not just to discuss whether SI should make use of the uncertainty to include it ingame

Guest ajdavies
hope so i would like to manage them. slightly off-topic do you think there should be any hall of fame points for winning the olympics?

I would have said so.

On a simmilar point (which im sure has been fixed) but on FM08 I did an olympics as mexico and was not allowed any over 23's (this should be 3). I assume this is set to change for 09 but if there are any SI staff browsing the boards thinking what to do next they can fix this :)

Just been thinking about what the team would be for 2012 so got me thinking about FM09

Bale, Ramsey, Walcott, Wilshere, Sturridge, Sears etc would all be eligible so we should have a fairly strong team

I would have said so.

On a simmilar point (which im sure has been fixed) but on FM08 I did an olympics as mexico and was not allowed any over 23's (this should be 3). I assume this is set to change for 09 but if there are any SI staff browsing the boards thinking what to do next they can fix this :)

Just been thinking about what the team would be for 2012 so got me thinking about FM09

Bale, Ramsey, Walcott, Wilshere, Sturridge, Sears etc would all be eligible so we should have a fairly strong team

Might be, your only allowed 3 players over the age of 23

Why would there be a GB team, theres too much oposition IRL for it. Not sure about the rest of the nations but up here in Scotland theres a website about it. If England go ahead without the rest of us, it may jeapordise our loneness in the FIFA rankings, FIFA have said that themselvles.

I'm pretty sure the Welsh, Scottish and N.Irish FA's are strongly opposed to the idea; something to do with the lowering of their UEFA co-efficients if they were to contribute to a UK team (I'm not sure of the details of why that is though). I think there was talk of an England-only UK team, but again I'm not sure of the details.

I doubt it would be included in 09 though as it looks unlikely that it'll actually happen, and SI wouldn't put in something that won't be represented IRL.

Guest ajdavies

Just to set the record straight:

As it stands no final decision has been made on whether its going to happen IRL or not (or which nations are involved)

This thread isnt really to discuss whether or not it should happen IRL or not just to discuss whether SI should make use of the uncertainty to include it ingame

Wales is part of Great Britain, as is Scotland and Northern Ireland, so therefore would be allowed to play in a Great Britain team.

The Football Associations are dead-set against the idea. They will not allow their players to be chosen for any GB team now or in the future.

David Taylor has stated quite clearly that if each individual nations wants to seek to lose their identity then participating in a GB team would be the first step. I'm guessing his bosses at Uefa weren't too pleased about him saying that, but he's looking out for Scotland (and wales and Northern Ireland)

To clarify, Scottish, Welsh and N.Irish players will not be participating.

Guest ajdavies

Not to go completely off topic but how come you are desperate for scottish independance?

You do realise that we'll stop sending you cash if that happens and you'll have to survive on your exports of IRN-BRU.

j/k :)

Have to survive on IRN-BRU???

We also have Oil, Wiskey and a number of other things. Also i read in the Daily Record a wee while ago. Scotland pay the same in taxes as what we earn to keep England afloat.

I think Scotland would survive easier with Independance, also Patriotic pride.

Have to survive on IRN-BRU???

We also have Oil, Wiskey and a number of other things. Also i read in the Daily Record a wee while ago. Scotland pay the same in taxes as what we earn to keep England afloat.

I think Scotland would survive easier with Independance, also Patriotic pride.

It's nice to see another like minded Scot in this place.

Wales is part of Great Britain, as is Scotland and Northern Ireland, so therefore would be allowed to play in a Great Britain team.

Yes but how many players from Wales Northern Ireland and Scotland woud be of a high enough standard to be included? I personally think that a UK team would be pointless because of this as the majority of the team would most likely be English due to the lower standard of Welsh,N. Irish & Scottish football.

Yes but how many players from Wales Northern Ireland and Scotland woud be of a high enough standard to be included? I personally think that a UK team would be pointless because of this as the majority of the team would most likely be English due to the lower standard of Welsh,N. Irish & Scottish football.

What, are you deliberately trying to enflame people and provoking people into a response or are you just a natural instigator?

Didn't Northern Ireland defeat you a few years ago? Didn't they also defeat Spain last season? How about Scotland beating France twice in the last campaign?

Technically Scotland got closer to qualifying for the Euros than England.

Maybe you don't understand the team ethos? I'm a general consensus with the England fans and the English media that their players do not play as a team, and that the other "home" players have more of a spirit and are more liable to sweat blood for their team-mates.

I don't know much about the youth of Wales or N.Ireland, but I can assure you, there are loads of young Scottish players who have a real good chance of doing really well in the football world, at large. For you to be so arrogant as to attest that there's no other world outside England is quite staggering.

Yes, without fueling any argument, I personally think they don't want to be part of a GB team because it would be embarressing. I wouldn't choose a single Scottish, Irish or Welsh player ahead of an England player in the lineup.

The only people who would have shot would be Craig Gordan, and, well, no, that's it.

Keeper: Craig Gordan (Scotland)

Left Back: Ashley Cole (England)

Right Back: Micah Richards (England)

Centre Backs: Rio Ferdinand and John Terry (England)

Left Wing: Joe Cole (England)

Right Wing: Theo Walcott (England)

Midfield: Lampard/Gerrard (England)

Strikers: Owen, Rooney (England)

Of course, that's just todays lineup. For all I know, in four years time, Scotland, Wales or Ireland could produce a wonderkid.

And hey - I'm a big fan of the other Home Nations sides and follow them whenever any of them manage to get to a world cup.

And also: I don't really like watching England play, I feel they're not as good as they seem to think they are.

But they still have better players than every other country in the UK in the same positions.

Yes, without fueling any argument, I personally think they don't want to be part of a GB team because it would be embarressing. I wouldn't choose a single Scottish, Irish or Welsh player ahead of an England player in the lineup.

The only people who would have shot would be Craig Gordan, and, well, no, that's it.

Of course, that's just todays lineup. For all I know, in four years time, Scotland, Wales or Ireland could produce a wonderkid.

And hey - I'm a big fan of the other Home Nations sides and follow them whenever any of them manage to get to a world cup.

And also: I don't really like watching England play, I feel they're not as good as they seem to think they are.

But they still have better players than every other country in the UK in the same positions.

u23's plus up to 3 over 23s. And Gordon is no where near James' level.

I'de have:

Foster (England,eligible?) or Hennesey (Wales) or maybe James (England)

Gunter (Wales)--A.Pearce (Scotland)--R.Ferdinand (England)--Bale (Wales)

T.Walcott(Eng)---Beckham (Eng)(and the cash that comes with him)--Wiltshire (Eng)--Ramsey (Wal)

C.Evans (Wal) and Sturridge (Eng)

it's for u23s except for 3 'over-age' players.

Owen isn't even in the England squad and is this the same central midfield duo that don't work together?

And, too old, maybe? :p

What, so you wouldn't choose Alan Hutton, Gareth Bale, Scott Brown, James McFadden, Darren Fletcher Kris Boyd? I could go on and on but I'm going to watch Motherwell progress in the Uefa cup (Hopefully)

In my opinion the above names could walk into the England team, and the team would benifit greatly for their spirit, team work and drive.

For you to suggest that the only reason we are refusing to participate in a GB team is quite ridiculous. I can assure you, there would be lots of non england players in the squad, and that isn't because of the rule that there would have to be a share from each nation.

Hell, team GB even want a Scottish manager: Sir Alex. It'll be interesting to see if he takes them up on their offer given that there will be no Scottish players competing. If he did take the reins then he will get so much criticism in Scotland, from all quarters.

Yes, without fueling any argument, I personally think they don't want to be part of a GB team because it would be embarrassing. I wouldn't choose a single Scottish, Irish or Welsh player ahead of an England player in the lineup.

What, so you wouldn't choose Alan Hutton, Gareth Bale, Scott Brown, James McFadden, Darren Fletcher Kris Boyd? I could go on and on but I'm going to watch Motherwell progress in the Uefa cup (Hopefully)

---

Alan Hutton - No, I wouldn't put him in the team ahead of Micah Richards

Gareth Bale - No, I don't think there's a finer left back in the world than Ashley Cole (at least, when he's 100% fit, but my point stands)

Scott Brown - Ahead of Gerrard? Are you kidding me?

James McFadden - Ahead of Rooney or Owen? No chance.

Darren Fletcher - Ahead of Lampard? Nope.

Kris Boyd - Ahead of Rooney or Owen? Still no chance.

Sorry to be sharp and straight to the point, but there's hope on your part and there's common sense, there's just no way, that right now, these players would get into Englands first fully fit 11.

How about this - everyone represented (see if you can spot the pattern):

GK: Foster

Dr: Brown

Dc: Ferdinand

Dc: Cathcart (NI)

Dl: Evans (NI)

Mr: Fletcher (Sco)

Mc: Hargreaves

Mc: Carrick

Ml: Giggs (Wales, Fergie claims he has the years in him lol)

Fc: Rooney

Fc: Wellbeck

Yes I'm mostly ignoring the age thing... meh

Your joking. Alan Hutton, arguebly one of the best right backs in the world, specially since i would play Richards through the middle. Also in my personal opinion Alan McGregor is better than Craig Gordon.

Hmmm wait a minute. At least most of the player in Scotland, Wales and Northern Irish are of home origion. Should England try the same approch i think it would be on a similar level to the other home leagues. I bet you couldnt name 11 ENGLISH players between the first teams of your top four.

---

Gareth Bale - No, I don't think there's a finer left back in the world than Ashley Cole (at least, when he's 100% fit, but my point stands)

Sorry to be sharp and straight to the point, but there's hope on your part and there's common sense, there's just no way, that right now, these players would get into Englands first fully fit 11.

Richards i would personally play through the center. Alan Hutton creates so much for those around him. I mind a few Scotland games ago he took 8 players of the opposition out of the game by wiining the ball a nice dribble and a perfect pass.

Your telling me you would play Gerrard and Lampard together??? A proven theory that it does not work. Brown and Gerrard together would be a good midfeild pairing IMO,

Rooney hasnt been the same since Everton. A good player still but not as good. Owen, your joking.

If age didnt restrict even though im against a team GB this would be my personal side. Some which may be argued but my view is my view and i dont care what bob, tim and harry say

G.K. Alan McGregor (SCO)

D.R. Alan Hutton (SCO)

D.L. Gareth Bale (WAL)

D.C. Rio Ferdinand (ENG)

D.C. John Terry (ENG)

M.R. Shaun Wright-Phillips (ENG)

M.L. Aiden McGeidy (IRE)

M.C. Barry Ferguson (SCO)

M.C. Steven Gerrard (ENG)

F.C. Kenny Miller (SCO)

F.C. David Healy (N.IRE)

That was trying my hardest to name English players.

Oh and before somebody says "Beckham over Wright-Phillips" I personally think Beckham is an over-rated, over-paid, self-obbsessed Ponse who has in George Burleys words about Kirk Broadfoot, "Limited Ability"

Also Owen is way off form, Rooney struggling too, and Miller creates goals and Healy jhas a good international reputation

---

Sir Alex Ferguson has recently stated that Alan Hutton is potentially the best right-back in britain and Mourinho put Alan Hutton in his top XI premiership players last season. I rest my case. Richards is a center back, he's wasted at right back.

In my opinion Bale has all the attributes to be a better all-round player than Ashley Cole.

Scott Brown ahead of Lampard. Sure, why not?

James McFadden ahead of Rooney and Owen.

Fletcher ahead of anyone in the England midfield. (Isn't Fletcher Man United's top goal scorer?)

And Boyd has a better game per goal ratio than either Rooney or Owen.

G.K. Alan McGregor (SCO)

D.R. Alan Hutton (SCO)

D.L. Gareth Bale (WAL)

D.C. Rio Ferdinand (ENG)

D.C. John Terry (ENG)

M.R. Shaun Wright-Phillips (ENG)

M.L. Aiden McGeidy (IRE)

M.C. Barry Ferguson (SCO)

M.C. Steven Gerrard (ENG)

F.C. Kenny Miller (SCO)

F.C. David Healy (N.IRE)

Sorry mate, but McGeady is Republic Of Ireland.. apparently.

OK, here it is. If you have a squad of 24. well 24 divided by 4 is 6.

6 players from Wales

6 players from England

6 players from Scotland

6 players from Northern Ireland.

Simple. It only happens once every 4 years ffs.

Do what we do with British and Irish Lions. rotate the coach. I'd defo go for Sir Alex Ferguson first time round. I'm English and proud, but British and proud. I love all this "indeendance" talk. If it did happen, I'd love to see the looks on peoples faces when they realise what would be lost compared to what little is gained. Financially and business wise.

OK, here it is. If you have a squad of 24. well 24 divided by 4 is 6.

I love all this "indeendance" talk. If it did happen, I'd love to see the looks on peoples faces when they realise what would be lost compared to what little is gained. Financially and business wise.

Yeah. Lets not even go into that.

What with the billions of pounds that we sound down south per annum for the oil, and the pocket change that we gain, I'd suggest that financially we'd do just fine. But with farming and fishing, e.g, we have more natural resources to be able to thrive as a free nation. And of course there's the business side of things, once again, I'm pretty sure that we're a clever enough nation to nurture home based talent as well as welcoming foreign based companies.

Thank you for your interest. :)

Wardog: Ahh.. Got it. Doubt they'd had more interest than us, to be honest.

And hey, on that subject. I wonder how many Scottish born players will be playing for the ROI in 2013. I mean, already they've taken McGeady and McCarthy and Jim O'Brian. Wonder who's next. I'll guess... Jamie Murphy? (Irish sounding name)

Yeah. Lets not even go into that.

What with the billions of pounds that we sound down south per annum for the oil, and the pocket change that we gain, I'd suggest that financially we'd do just fine. But with farming and fishing, e.g, we have more natural resources to be able to thrive as a free nation. And of course there's the business side of things, once again, I'm pretty sure that we're a clever enough nation to nurture home based talent as well as welcoming foreign based companies.

I take it you've been reading your nations news papers only?

There's been lots of discussions on this over a variety of media. Radio especially. It's not completely about financial - btw, you need to look into what is sent "up north" in response.

It always seems that the "Celtic" (that's a hard C btw) boys want independence. Always moaning for it. There is a reason it's not happened, and won't happen.

There's been lots of discussions on this over a variety of media. Radio especially. It's not completely about financial - btw, you need to look into what is sent "up north" in response.

It always seems that the "Celtic" (that's a hard C btw) boys want independence. Always moaning for it. There is a reason it's not happened, and won't happen.

excuse me. I believe alot of us Rangers boys want independance too. :D

not completely financial

Radio

Ok wait 2 minutes here.

Who gave the world TV, Radio, Radar(won you lot the second world war), the light buld amoungt alot of other things. I believe that as us Scots people. Not to forget including FM the worlds best selling computer game (Grand theft Auto) is made in Edinburgh by a Scottish company. Also which two home nations will not supposedly be flooded with Global warming. Scotland and Wales.

Sorry i went off topic but i have proven my point.

Your joking. Alan Hutton, arguebly one of the best right backs in the world

VERY VERY arguably

F.C. Kenny Miller (SCO)

F.C. David Healy (N.IRE)

I'm sorry, but are you for real?

Fletcher ahead of anyone in the England midfield. (Isn't Fletcher Man United's top goal scorer?)

I don't even know what to say to any of that. I appreciate that you're Scottish, and have to stick up for your own, but come on... get a grip.

I'm an Everton fan who's been watching McFadden for the last few years (and who hates Rooney with a passion) but to say that McFadden is a better player than Rooney and Owen is just absolutely ridiculous.

Of course Boyd has a better goals/game ration... he's playing in the SPL ffs!

And the Fletcher thing... jesus... I actually rate Fletcher, and was hoping the rumours in the summer of him coming to Everton were true. But he's not even close to being as good as ANY of the regular England central midfielders.

Are you kidding?

The media in Scotland are unionist, and aren't afraid to admit it; before the last general election on the front page of one of our more popular newspapers there was a picture of the uk with a crack breaking up england and Scotland in a red circle with a diagonal line in it. Gee, wonder what that means.. could it mean that they don't want us to break up the union? I think so.

Don't blame the "reading the media" thing on me. I'm intelligent, thinking voter who is well capable of forming his own conclusions and opinions. I don't need anyone telling me what to think, what to do and who to vote for.

Yeah. What's being sent "up north" is nuclear subs. If you want those back then you can have them, gladly.

And you can pronounce Celtic any way that you want. I'm not a supporter of the old firm. lol

It won't happen? Did you think that the SNP would beat labour in the previous general election? The "powers that be" down south sure didn't.

I don't even know what to say to any of that. I appreciate that you're Scottish, and have to stick up for your own, but come on... get a grip.

I'm an Everton fan who's been watching McFadden for the last few years (and who hates Rooney with a passion) but to say that McFadden is a better player than Rooney and Owen is just absolutely ridiculous.

Of course Boyd has a better goals/game ration... he's playing in the SPL ffs!

And the Fletcher thing... jesus... I actually rate Fletcher, and was hoping the rumours in the summer of him coming to Everton were true. But he's not even close to being as good as ANY of the regular England central midfielders.

McFadden barely played two games in a row for Everton. How you play to your potential, how can you really gain confidence and show your real ability if you are shifted from center, left to right, and get chosen for 2 matches in a row? Is that his fault? I think not. You'll see what James McFadden is all about next season, when Birmingham get promoted.

Ummm... About goal to game ratio, I was actually talking about internationals. I thought this was an international issue.

Hang on, is this the same James McFadden's that's hardly ripping up trees in the Championship?

Fletcher's goalscoring record for this season is completely irrelevant. He's scored 2 goals this season, but so have Osman, Lampard, Young and Morrison. Wright-Philips has 3 goals. Surely if we're going for goal scoring records this season, then Defoe would make your team with his 5 goals? Saying Boyd has a better game per goal ratio is well and good, but when the competitive goals have come against the Faroe Islands, Georgia and Lithuania, it's a bit of a moot point. Peter Crouch has a better goals per game ratio than Boyd , so surely he should be in your team?

Having said all this, I think in 4 years time an U23 team would NOT be all England players. I just find some of your comments quite ridiculous to be frank.

McFadden barely played two games in a row for Everton. How you play to your potential, how can you really gain confidence and show your real ability if you are shifted from center, left to right, and get chosen for 2 matches in a row? Is that his fault? I think not. You'll see what James McFadden is all about next season, when Birmingham get promoted.

Ummm... About goal to game ratio, I was actually talking about internationals. I thought this was an international issue.

Exactly... Birmingham. There's a very good reason McFadden's there. If he's so brilliant, surely he should be destroying the Championship? I wanted McFadden to succeed at Everton, but sadly, he proved over 109 appearances that he just isn't good enough.

And if you're talking about internationals then Boyd's ratio is pretty much irrelevant. He's only played 15 games for the national side. Yes he's scored 7 goals, but that sample size is WAY too small to draw any meaningful conclusions. If you're going to do that, you might as well say that Walcott's better than all of them, because he's got the best ratio of the lot.

hey Healy is a fantastic international striker - the slower pace seems to suit him a lot - how many english strikers have a better international record - and just to be pedantic the actual name of the GB team is Great Britain and Northern Ireland, N.I. is not part of Britain :D

it's pretty easy to have a decent scoring record when every single one of your team's attacks ends up with the ball at your feet and/or none of your team mates are capable of scoring goals :D

ask Fernando Torres

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Archived