Did you prefer CM without the match engine? What are your favorite CM/FM moments?

Almost everyone I speak to who has played CM/FM throughout it's series have all said that their favourite moments were playing CM. This is where you had text flashing across the screen when you scored and you couldn't see any kind of match engine.

I have to agree that thinking back, these were my favourite moments too. I'm not slagging the football manager series off at all, maybe I enjoyed CM because I was younger, had more time on my hands - I only have good memories and I can rarely remember getting as annoyed as I do playing FM08 for example.

When I think about it then, I knew nothing about how the match engine really worked, I knew nothing about CA/PA and I usually only bought strikers!

I was just wondering if people out there think the FM series is more fun, I think it is certainly more addictive, but not as much fun as CM01/02 for example. I hope with FM09 they recapture a bit of that fun as I found FM08 sometimes a bit draining.

On a side note, I mentioned to the g/f that FM09 is due out in 4weeks time - she is not happy!

Your title is a bit misleading - there's always been a match engine, it just didn't have a 2d view before.

Personally I always liked the commentary (esp. the match sounds that were proper in those days), but since 2d I've liked 2d. Since I watch Werder Bremen in full match mode I obviously prefer the 2d in that case because commentary in really slow mode isn't very interesting!

I think it's all relative to age and football knowledge tbh. I love CM97/98 because it was my first ever go at the game, I edited everything and put myself in with 20's in all attributes, it's a nice memory, but it would ruin the game if I tried to do that now. It's difficult for me to judge FM though, I think FM08 is excellent, but I hardly played 05, 06 and 07.

I hate FM08, but liked FM06 and FM07 :D

I do think that with FM08, the success you get feels sweeter than any previous version. The buzz you get from creating a great team that took a lot of time to put together and seeing them win game after game....

....well, until it all goes to pot that is!

I also think it has a lot to do with time spent on these forums. Pre 2005 I'd never even looked at these forums and I'd also never noticed a single 'bug' in FM. I knew nothing of PA/CA or anything like that and therefore just played the game for fun.

Since joining the forums I'm now well aware of issues brought up by people and I'm now more aware of issues I see myself. Issues that I wouldn't even have picked up on or given a second thought to pre forums.

So combine that with getting older and having less time to play games and that would be why I don't play FM quite as much anymore. But, in my case, learning more about the game has increased my enjoyment of it. But for many people, having the games faults pointed out to you on a regular basis takes the shine off it, even if you would probably never noticed these things yourself.

I hate FM08, but liked FM06 and FM07 :D

I bought 05, 06 and 07, but rarely got a chance to play them because I supposedly became a mature adult :p and had too many responsibilities/events taking place lol. FM08 has been my first chance to get back into the series, so I suppose it's actually my first real taste of the FM series, i've enjoyed it, but might not have if i'd played more of the two you mention.

I also think it has a lot to do with time spent on these forums. Pre 2005 I'd never even looked at these forums and I'd also never noticed a single 'bug' in FM. I knew nothing of PA/CA or anything like that and therefore just played the game for fun.

Since joining the forums I'm now well aware of issues brought up by people and I'm now more aware of issues I see myself. Issues that I wouldn't even have picked up on or given a second thought to pre forums.

So combine that with getting older and having less time to play games and that would be why I don't play FM quite as much anymore. But, in my case, learning more about the game has increased my enjoyment of it. But for many people, having the games faults pointed out to you on a regular basis takes the shine off it, even if you would probably never noticed these things yourself.

bang on chopper! (well, not literally - that might hurt).

This is how I feel too. Maybe since reading all the stuff on the forums and having the faults pointed out to you makes things more....stressful?

I agree, FM08 is the first game i've ever patched and I probably wouldn't have bothered if I hadn't become a member of the forums.

I bought 05, 06 and 07, but rarely got a chance to play them because I supposedly became a mature adult :p and had too many responsibilities/events taking place lol. FM08 has been my first chance to get back into the series, so I suppose it's actually my first real taste of the FM series, i've enjoyed it, but might not have if i'd played more of the two you mention.

I'm 30 on Monday. You are never too old for footyman!

I've learned in FM08 to slow down/change the way I play. Instead of trying to whiz through seasons I now take pleasure in playing only a handful of games per week. I spend lots of time thinking about tactics to counter teams I am playing against - it's most stressful at times - especially when you get it wrong!

I agree, FM08 is the first game i've ever patched and I probably wouldn't have bothered if I hadn't become a member of the forums.

Same here, well almost the same, FM06 was the first game I patched. Before that I'd just happily play the out of the box game and think nothing of it. I didn't even know patches existed until 3 years ago.

Same here, well almost the same, FM06 was the first game I patched. Before that I'd just happily play the out of the box game and think nothing of it. I didn't even know patches existed until 3 years ago.

I actually remember buying CM05 (i think) and it had a bug where if you signed a player he would arrive, stay for a day and then go back to his old club :confused: I took it back to the shop and said it wasn't working, then stood there with a blank expression on my face as the till jockey tried to explian that you were expected to download patches for PC games :D

I'd say my favourite CM/FM memory was winning back-to-back titles with Liverpool on FM07 (3rd and 4th season of the game), the first time I'd really put the work into tactics and stuff. It was nice to see it pay dividends.

Same goes for '08; you only get out of the game what you put into it. :thup:

I actually remember buying CM05 (i think) and it had a bug where if you signed a player he would arrive, stay for a day and then go back to his old club :confused: I took it back to the shop and said it wasn't working, then stood there with a blank expression on my face as the till jockey tried to explian that you were expected to download patches for PC games :D

Brilliant :D.

'Excuse me I'd like a refund, this game doesn't work properly'

'Why'

'Because it has bugs in it'

'Download a patch then you numpty'

'A what now?'

That's exactly what I would have been like as well if I'd noticed any major problems at that time.

I do think that with FM08, the success you get feels sweeter than any previous version. The buzz you get from creating a great team that took a lot of time to put together and seeing them win game after game....

....well, until it all goes to pot that is!

Yeah, winning the Bundesliga with Werder Bremen in FM08 was one of my favourite successes of all that I have had, but losing the title to Bayern Munich by 22 points the following season somewhat took the edge off my enjoyment!

That is very very true. It can be very rewarding, it can also turn me into a 3 year old boy who has just lost his dummy and **** himself at the same time!

Same here; it's totally accepted amongst fellow FM'ers, but my wife "Doesn't understand"... :D

You are so right, hell back then when playing the more text based game was much more fun, however 2008 is much more addictive, I don't know why.

Maybe I must enjoy the free time when I can, end up playing FM untill some silly hour in the morning.

If I would of never ventured onto these game forums, I would of formed my own opion (I do and always will do ) Its bizzare back in the day you would of had FUN playing a game, its all nit-picking now. IMO.

You are so right, hell back then when playing the more text based game was much more fun, however 2008 is much more addictive, I don't know why.

Maybe I must enjoy the free time when I can, end up playing FM untill some silly hour in the morning.

If I would of never ventured onto these game forums, I would of formed my own opion (I do and always will do ) Its bizzare back in the day you would of had FUN playing a game, its all nit-picking now. IMO.

It's because the whole ''feeling'' of the old CM games were focused on having fun. Commentary saying that the referee overrules the assistant who has his flag up, personal pages of players saying they enjoy the teams style of football, etc. FM is far more realistic from a manager point of view and in that way it is better now, but still it's aswell fun to play the old ones from time to time.

I prefer the 2d to text any day, but my fondest memory is from 00/01, which was also my first game in the series. It was a more "innocent" time back then, before I knew of patches, editing and getting help with tactics, and winning the CL with Brondby in the first year after buying only one player still stands as my greatest achievement. I remember like yesterday beating Man U 9-7 on aggregate in the quarter-final. I litterally jumped and punched the air !

Archived