Question re: Mathematical Calculations

I just wondered whether the ongoing mathematical calculations within the game were set up with the end result of allowing you to score goals or preventing you from conceeding them?

Might sound like a daft question but have a think about it.

Is the art of scoring easy and it is the prevention of goals that the calculations are based around?

or, are goals hard to score and the calculations are based around getting you to score?

Only maths ive heard in football is the squad numbers, financing and all those times im down at the bookies putting on a huge Accumulator that never comes through lol.

Anyway i think for the questions youvce asked. Varies on a little bit of everything. But unless its becomming a bored gae and you have to answer what is "5+5 =" if you get it correct your striker shall score, incorrect the defender launches it all the way up feild. Then i wouldnt suspect any real Mathematical calculations In the Match screen.

Maybe for CA and PA

I think that you are thinking too far ahead. I don't believe the match engine is created around the central question of scoring or preventing goals.

I see it as just calculating the next step, the next action in the very singular situation it finds itself in. The challenge is to get the tactical settings worked into that as well as to imitate sensible real life tactical and footballing behaviour and to see a realistic impact of different levels of players skills. The engine then needs to be tweaked if it renders unrealistic results or unrealistic actions or behaviour which obviously must be insanely complex.

But again, I'm quite sure the engine is not coded around certain ways of achieving a certain result nor around results itself, but on the incredibly many actions and decisions during a match which in a tweaked manner then should lead to realistic match outcomes.

hth :)

I just wondered whether the ongoing mathematical calculations within the game were set up with the end result of allowing you to score goals or preventing you from conceeding them?

You wonder some boring stuff ;-)

FM is one giant mathematical equation if you think about it. It's code, it doesn't know it's a football game. As for the end result, I don't get what you mean. There is no answers, the game is a constant stream of ever changing code which you can't see. You are given clues watching the 2D match engine but even that is sometimes not a true interpretation of the code.

Only maths ive heard in football is the squad numbers, financing and all those times im down at the bookies putting on a huge Accumulator that never comes through lol.

Anyway i think for the questions youvce asked. Varies on a little bit of everything. But unless its becomming a bored gae and you have to answer what is "5+5 =" if you get it correct your striker shall score, incorrect the defender launches it all the way up feild. Then i wouldnt suspect any real Mathematical calculations In the Match screen.

Maybe for CA and PA

Well, the whole match enginge must of course be based on mathematical calculations for actions and probabilities.

all the questions:

- Will defender (jumping 14) win the header against striker (jumping 12)?

- Will the midfielder pass, dribble or shoot?

- Will the penalty be saved?

are answered based on probabilities. The engine calculates probabilities based on a very complex code which embodies certain attributes which are important in one specific situation as well as the way of the ball and the playing situation around the singular incident. The out of these probabilities a decision or action is made which will the lead to the next situation and so on.

The coding of that is maths only, with footballing knowledge and the database converted into algorythms.

Might sound like a daft question but have a think about it.

Is the art of scoring easy and it is the prevention of goals that the calculations are based around?

or, are goals hard to score and the calculations are based around getting you to score?

And the result is 42 :D

you're a genius!!

*bows down to jayahr*

Archived