FM09 - DVD or not DVD, that is the question..

I wonder how long it is before games are sold on USB sticks or other media, its pretty shocking how technology has come over the last few years, I ordered a phone today, 16gb of memory, gone are the days of spending £30 on a media stick that holds 32mb

I wonder how long it is before games are sold on USB sticks or other media, its pretty shocking how technology has come over the last few years, I ordered a phone today, 16gb of memory, gone are the days of spending £30 on a media stick that holds 32mb

Deffinately showing your age there...

The cost of DVDs vs. USB's is quite incredible.

One day - maybe, but for now it's not financially viable to consider USB unless it's for a very specific reason in the games industry.

I.e. companies such as Steinberg that put together Cubase can afford the use of a USB dongle, but it makes up a far smaller percentage of revenue than FM does, so is instantly more viable - mind namely because of the protection it guarantees.

I'd like to have seen FML on USB stick in shops, but I think DVD for FM09 is a decent shout.

Also, I seem to remember Miles saying he was passionate about the letter 'V'. DVD contains the letter 'V', while CD contains only the letters 'D' and... I think 'C'. So it was really a natural and inevitable progression.

As a strong advocate of the letter 'U', I intend to regularly back my game up on a USB stick.

Does anyone know how to connect a DVD player to a laptop or computer? So I can be ready when FM09 comes out

I don't know about laptops, but it's pretty easy on a PC - just choose whether you want a SATA drive (red cable coming from the back, SATA is faster and newer), or IDE (black ribbon cable, IDE is slower and older). Then it's simply a case of finding the screws that hold the drive to the case, unscrewing them, taking the old drive out (being sure to disconnect the cables at the back first), then put the new drive in, screw it in place and connect the cables. If you go for a SATA drive, you don't have to fanny about with jumper switches, etc. It's pretty easy.

You can pick up a decent DVD player and rewriter for under £20 on eBuyer.

For me it's always going to be the box and manual.

For some reason i've always looked at downloading digital software as though you are buying the right to download the game rather than the feeling of actually owning it. If that makes any sense.

But all you own anyway is the actual disc.

The software on it belongs to SEGA and SI, you are merely paying for the privilege of playing it.

Much like the OS on your PC/Laptop; you are only licensed to use it and don't actually own it.

I know, because I read it on the back of a matchbox...

Archived