Anyone use a "Libero"?

Not sure if this is right Forum so apologies if not.

Was wondering if anyone used a "Libero" and if so which player do you use for that role?

My V Formation and others I had made tend to leak a few goals with Strikers finding the space between my Centre Backs, I have always used Zonal rather that Man Marking, probably because I'm lazy!!

For an experiment last night using my V Formation I dragged back my DM to the middle of Defence but gave him an arrow forward to the DM position. Also gave him a Team Mentality which is attacking and a free role with Mixed Passing. It was a Home Match against Spurs. I tried Steven Deffour there first half but he only rated a 6. Second half I put Mark Noble there and he came away with an 8. West Ham won 3-0 and Spurs didn't get one shot on target.

Ok, ok it's only one game but I'm looking forward to trying it again. However, in the Transfer window I supect a DM/CB with high creativity and decisions would be ideal for this role, but whom???

Anyone ever tried it?

I would think Mathieu Bodmer or Gonzalo Rodriguez would be ideal in this role ...

Not sure if this is right Forum so apologies if not.

Was wondering if anyone used a "Libero" and if so which player do you use for that role?

My V Formation and others I had made tend to leak a few goals with Strikers finding the space between my Centre Backs, I have always used Zonal rather that Man Marking, probably because I'm lazy!!

For an experiment last night using my V Formation I dragged back my DM to the middle of Defence but gave him an arrow forward to the DM position. Also gave him a Team Mentality which is attacking and a free role with Mixed Passing. It was a Home Match against Spurs. I tried Steven Deffour there first half but he only rated a 6. Second half I put Mark Noble there and he came away with an 8. West Ham won 3-0 and Spurs didn't get one shot on target.

Ok, ok it's only one game but I'm looking forward to trying it again. However, in the Transfer window I supect a DM/CB with high creativity and decisions would be ideal for this role, but whom???

Anyone ever tried it?

A centre back who moves forward more often than normal.

Instigating, and taking part in attacking moves.

Sort of the reverse of a sweeper, I suppose.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. A "Libero" is just that. Probably Rio Ferdinand could have been used in that role if we used it over here. Doesn't really happen in modern day football. Probably the best example the older gamers will remember is Franz Beckenbaur.

I think AC Milan used to use Franco Baresi in the same sort of libero role that Beckenbauer was used on those FC Bayern clubs of the 1970s

You are correct. A "Libero" is just that. Probably Rio Ferdinand could have been used in that role if we used it over here. Doesn't really happen in modern day football. Probably the best example the older gamers will remember is Franz Beckenbaur.

Ferdinand would be ideal and I know Ayala started his career there.

Mathieu Bodmer is really the only one in the game that I can think of that would fit this role perfectly. He'd be truly amazing in that role however. Seems like he's made for the role, with his physical strength and attacking prowess.

Abubakari Yakubu and Hedwiges Maduro also seem to be fit for this role, but I've never really been convinced by either player when I've signed them in various games. That kind of leaves Miguel Veloso, who quite frankly is amazing, but also somewhat hard to get your hands on, and, hmm...

Angelo Palombo? He surely has the stamina to move around a lot and his tackling is impeccable... He's good going forward, can pass the ball reasonably and has a good long shot, and mentally he's rock solid. He's a small guy, but if you have two central defenders around him, that could surely be handled? I don't know, but he could seem a fit for the role?

Sort of the reverse of a sweeper, I suppose.

I always thought that "libero" and "sweeper" mean the same thing, and Wikipedia groups them under the same title: Wikipedia. However, reading the wikipedia text they do talk of two different types of sweepers/liberos, an attacking one and a defensive one. So maybe you're right, and the attacking one is the "libero", and the defensive one a "sweeper".

You learn something new every day. :)

Toure and Gallas could both play the role, as the pair of them like surging forward when they have an oppertunity.

Myself, I use a DM with a barrow to CB, which I guess the way the game treats farros and barrows is almost the same thing, if not identical?

Toure and Gallas could both play the role, as the pair of them like surging forward when they have an oppertunity.

Myself, I use a DM with a barrow to CB, which I guess the way the game treats farros and barrows is almost the same thing, if not identical?

Gallas and Toure would not be libero's

They lack the ball skills to play that role.

Toure thinks he can play a bit. Gallas thinks he's the greatest player of this generation - he isn't

As mentioned above Sammer was perfect for the role - and so was Mattheus in his later career once his pace went

Gallas and Toure would not be libero's

They lack the ball skills to play that role.

Toure thinks he can play a bit. Gallas thinks he's the greatest player of this generation - he isn't

As mentioned above Sammer was perfect for the role - and so was Mattheus in his later career once his pace went

I agree, I would love to have someone in that positionwho can either bring the ball out of defence or ping balls left right and centre even though I have a short passing set up.

How would you guys play the role? As you see I have thrown him in as a Free Role but that is by no means cast in stone. Would you up the creativity? attacking menatlity? What are your thoughts?

Players in real life that could handle that role: Ferdinand, Ayala, King (Ledley), Carvalho , Vidic etc.. I'm not sure about in game stats for these guys so couldn't say if they'd work in game.

i don't know if vidic would be good in that role yes he is a threat in the other teams box but this type of role needs players to come out and play the ball like an attacking midfeilder kind of thing.players from the past like duncan edwards played left half and attacked and defended so i guess it is the same thing that your talking about.plus alan hanson,kevin beattie,bobby moore,john charles ect would have been great in this role i play sweeper at first i had him attackinh but he lacks the ablity to do it i bought a new defender to play there but i got him to stay back because when i changed it for the sweeper to attack i went through a bad spell.

has anyone ever tried using an attacking furrow on their keeper?

sort of a sweeper/keeper type role?

Ploughing up the penalty box :D

Actually yes, I employ a sweeper-keeper. He needs good decisions, rushing-out att and pace and acceleration, and his mentality is in the centre. It works a treat - he virtually never messes up and is very tidy at picking off long balls and slipping a short pass to a defender.

Ploughing up the penalty box :D

Actually yes, I employ a sweeper-keeper. He needs good decisions, rushing-out att and pace and acceleration, and his mentality is in the centre. It works a treat - he virtually never messes up and is very tidy at picking off long balls and slipping a short pass to a defender.

ill be sure to give this a go

I've noticed all the teams I play against have goalkeepers who rush up to 30 yards out of their box (regardless of rushing out stat /acc/pace or anything to be frank), I think this is just a weakness of the visual representation of the ME though.

I like to use a back three with the middle CB farrowed to the DMC position, TTB set to often and creative freedom a couple of notches above the middle. If you play the right sort of player there it works a treat and is very solid defensively too. Not quite a sweeper but still a similar concept.

i used richards/king in the 'libero role' alongside rio and terry for england and it won me a world cup so i'm happy with the 'libero' system.

can you show me or some one tell me how many defenders do you play when usin this role ad do you have a yellow arrow on the player and how long is it.

Libero is the defender who plays at the back of the other two defenders. I haven't heard that a "libero" has an attacking role, he has just to cover his workmates. Normally , LIbero is the last chance for a team to intercept the ball before it gets the goal. An example of Libero was Roberto Ayala.

Paul McGrath would have been ideal for this role when Villa used to play three at the back, but I always thought he didn't use his skills on the ball enough for how good he was.

QUOTE]

McGrath didnt use his ball skills enough becuase he was either ****ed, or hungover, or too full of donner kebab when he played for Villa. Ferguson kicked that drunken bum out of Man Utd for a reason!

McGrath didnt use his ball skills enough becuase he was either ****ed, or hungover, or too full of donner kebab when he played for Villa. Ferguson kicked that drunken bum out of Man Utd for a reason!

Yet still won Villa's player of the year four seasons running (they were runners-up in two of those seasons) and the PFA player of the year in 1993.

He was a superb footballer.

Libero is the defender who plays at the back of the other two defenders. I haven't heard that a "libero" has an attacking role, he has just to cover his workmates. Normally , LIbero is the last chance for a team to intercept the ball before it gets the goal. An example of Libero was Roberto Ayala.

Haven't you just described a regulation sweeper?

can you show me or some one tell me how many defenders do you play when usin this role ad do you have a yellow arrow on the player and how long is it.

i use 3 dc with the middle one having a f. arrow to dmc. this is how i play as england

-----------------gk

-----------dc-----dc-----dc

----wbr-----------|----------wbl

------------------v

-------------mc------mc

-----------------amc

-------------st-------st

Glenn Hoddle toward the end of his career as player manager of swindon was a excellant libero what a great player glenn hoddle was apart from Gerrard I cant remember seeing a better english midfielder and i can remember back to the mid 80s.

Libero is the name the rest of Europe use for what you call a sweeper.

But a libero could be both offensive and defensive. However an offensive libero is something we haven't seen in 40 years. In FM an offensive libero would best be described as a central defender withouth an farrow who is told to make a lot of forward runs and take on the roll as an defensive playmaker. He could also be used as a (Directly translated from a Swedish term) "Pittbull". Thats a player with no other concern but to chase the player with the ball and take him down (yeah thats was me as a youth..). Now days this is often seen in lower league football when you play with a normal 4 man strong defence line and one of the central defenders who is quick falls back and the other one who is bigger and slower puts hard pressure on the ball carrier.

Archived