Newbie question about FM 2008 match engine: closing down -- is it truly this bugged?

Hello,

I only got to FM 2008 about a week ago (too many other things to do). It looks all right, but there's one thing I would like to check with you guys, because you must have way more experience with the game than I do.

Simply put: is the match engine really absolutely broken when it comes to closing down instructions? It took me a total of two matches to figure out that something was probably very, very wrong. I was a beta tester for some of the earlier releases, and I wonder how this one ever got through. And through two patches as well.

The AI closes down nicely, but your own players -- no way. They just won't. Whatever the instructions, they'll be ignored.

Is it really like this? Or am I doing something wrong?

Well, if you don't know, why do you reply? I'm pretty sure I know much more about the game in general than you do. It's just this version and this particular instruction I'm curious about.

The problem seems to be that even if you set your defensive midfielder (or whoever) to close down pretty much everywhere, he simply doesn't. The AI uses closing down quite nicely, but your players won't.

Well, if you don't know, why do you reply? I'm pretty sure I know much more about the game in general than you do. It's just this version and this particular instruction I'm curious about.

The problem seems to be that even if you set your defensive midfielder (or whoever) to close down pretty much everywhere, he simply doesn't. The AI uses closing down quite nicely, but your players won't.

Im sorry, I was meant to basically hint for you to look in tactics forum, sorry!

There's no real comparison to previous versions if that's your baseline for comparison.

On 07 players just went haring around but on 08 for me it is more realistic whereby players approach and try to shut off space. Whether or not they make a tackle once they get close appears to depend on tackling, mentality, player attributes and weaker foot depending on the scenario (if you have a right foot only defender and the opposition player runs at him to his left side it appears he is less likely to make a challenge).

Player attributes (Work Rate, Team Work) and use of Opposition Instructions also appear to affect to what extent you will get multiple players closing down a single individual (where they happen to be positioned at the time, defensive line and individual closing down settings also appear toplay a role).

I use appear(s) as it is only based on my own observations and not any kind of insider knowledge of how the match engine is coded re player behaviour.

If you want to post some screenshots or a pkm highlighting where you have the issue then do so in the Tactics forum and I'm sure someone will help (assuming it is possible to help such that players close down the way you would like them to).

You are spot on in what you are saying. I've read about people asking "When will the patch be out"?, "When will the demo be out"? SI's response is always "Not until it's ready" and yet they released FM08 FULLY AWARE of the closing down bug regardless. SHOCKING!

I think the "opposition instructions" make a huge difference.

I tell my centre backs to close down rarely, so that they stay in their zone. However, if I set "closing down - always" on an opposition midfielder, I'll see my central defenders bomb out of their zone towards him, sometimes leaving a striker unmarked in the box.

Also, "show onto foot" seems to limit the actual attempt to tackle, in my experience.

Note also that you may have players with PPM's which impact this, also motivation and other mental attributes. (I have one player who noticeably just kinda jogs around the pitch without doing much of anything when the opposition have the ball, but tries to turn it on if he thinks he can score. The stupid hot-dogger. *grumble*)

I'd suggest, as others have, that you take your problem to the Tactics and Training Tips forum, and describe in more detail exactly what you're seeing.

Archived