Toon - The Rescue?

I had been an assistant at Newcastle for a short time when Gullit was in charge, but it still came as a big shock when they contacted me and subsequently offered me the manager's job. The club was in such turmoil and that might make some shy away from the job but I said yes pretty quickly. I felt like I could turn things around and the fans deserve that. Maybe, if given the chance, I could make them into a superpower. I informed Felipao I wanted to leave Chelsea to take advantage of this opportoonity.

I was told I had 10.5 million quid to spend. Looking at the squad I felt like we really needed to strengthen in the following positions: right back, central midfield, right midfield & forward. I'm a big fan of Owen & Martins but I just don't feel they'll work together well in a 4-4-2 and a big quality striker would help us tremendously. The trouble was I really couldn't see which players I could sell to generate any decent income. I did sell Viduka for just under a million and a couple of younger players for nominal fees.

I made a bid for Huntelaar - a player I'd long admired, but it soon became clear I wasn't going to be able to get him for much less than 10 million and that would be all my money gone. In the end I decided he was who I wanted and we pursued him and finally signed him for £9.75M. Better to sign one top quality player than a few mediocre ones and I felt we'd be ok as long as we didn't have terrible injury problems. It's not like we had European games to play or anything.

I planned to play a basic 4-4-2 and the starting line-up in my head was:

G Given

RB Geremi

LB Enrique

CB Taylor

CB Coloccini©

CM Butt

CM Barton

LW Duff

RW Gutierrez

F Owen

F Huntelaar

Backup: Harper, Bassong, Beye, Cacapa, Edgar, Gonzalez, N'Zogbia, Smith, Xisco, Ameobi

My biggest worry was central midfield but Smith can play there and if necessary Coloccini could slot in there too if I had injury/suspension problems.

Rule change

The premier league today announced that each team could only sign a maximum of 5 free agents/bosmans per season. This was a big blow as I had planned on bolstering my squad through free players as much as I could. They also announced players would be unable to join their new clubs in January and would have to wait until full expiry of their contracts in June/July. This meant I would effectively have no way to strengthen my squad until the summer as I only had around £1.8 million left in the transfer kitty.

How do you feel Newcastle will fair in the Premiership this season?

Thanks for your question, Luka. I'm very confident. I think we have some quality players here and if we can all be a team - and that includes the board members - I don't see why we can't finish in the top 8 or challenge for a European spot. Right now I think we need to find a system that is effective. People always say that Newcastle fans crave exciting football. Right now I think they crave success even more and I plan to bring both to them in time but in the meanwhile I think we all need to have some patience and common sense.

Also, there was a rumour going round you were looking to place a loan bid for Arsenal's Denilson, is there any truth behind this rumour?

He is a player we've looked at but Arsene Wenger didn't want to let him go. We have had quite a frustrating time trying to obtain players on loan but we continue to consider our options. If we are unable to bring any in I am confident the players we have here will be able to get the job done.

On the back of 'The Sun Newspaper', it showed you with an unknown woman climbing into a taxi with Michael Owen opening the door for you, how do you explain this?

There's nothing to it really. Michael & I had a quiet meal out - to discuss team affairs. He is my vice-captain you know. When we were departing there was a young lady who just happened to be going in the same direction as us so we offered to carpool. Michael & I are very comitted to helping the environment and setting a good example to other fans.

Will you be looking to make any use of the loan market this transfer window? And if so' date=' what players are you looking at?[/quote']

Well as your colleague pointed out, we had enquired about Denilson. We have also made some other enquiries but I really can't go into the details at this time. I feel that making loan signings just to pad out the squad is a little pointless though. It's also unfair to the players you bring in as usually their managers want them to gain first team experience. We did make enquiries about Ronaldo & Pato, amongst others, but these were very firmly rejected. I will keep you posted on the subject on loan signings.

So' date=' how do you plan to combat Joey Barton's horrendous disciplinary record, on and off the pitch? Will he carpool with you and Michael Owen for training and matchdays, just to be on the safe side?[/quote']

Honestly, I've had a long talk with Joey. The first thing is that he is 100% committed to Newcastle United Football Club. The second thing is that he admits he has had many problems. He knows if he gets in more trouble, he is letting himself, his family and his fans down. Basically I've told him that lack of discipline on the field I can work with him on, but lack of discipline off it I won't tolerate. If he gets in any further trouble with the police, he will be on the transfer list. I'm confident that his problems are behind him and I and the club are working with him to get him the help he needs but in the end it's all in his hands.

Do you feel that the infamous donkeys that are Barton and Smith could cause more trouble for NUFC?

I don't expect any "trouble" from them or any of my other players. It's all about channelling your aggression in the right way and I fully expect both these two to do just that and make you eat your badly chosen words, Mr Leeds! :)

There's nothing to it really. Michael & I had a quiet meal out - to discuss team affairs. He is my vice-captain you know. When we were departing there was a young lady who just happened to be going in the same direction as us so we offered to carpool. Michael & I are very comitted to helping the environment and setting a good example to other fans.

I bet it's because she had nice boobs really! Hi, i'm from News of the world. :D

Clarke completes double gunner raid

Rumours in the media about Newcastle being in negotiation with Arsenal were evidently true as Newcastle today completed the double signing of Denilson & Theo Walcott on season-long loans. A disagreement over wages was said to be the sticking point but the deals were eventually done and Clarke is sure to be happy to have bolstered his new squad ahead of the season opener. Further rumours are surfacing about more signings after Newcastle officials were seen boarding a plane to Italy today.

Mr Gildea is it true that after his tackle on Nasri earlier in the season, Joey Barton is recieving the silent treatment from Walcott and Denilson?

No there's no truth to that. Joey has actually gone out of his way to welcome all the new arrivals and make them feel at home. Denilson & Theo may be on the Arsenal books, but for the next 12 months they are Newcastle through and through and they're committed to helping us. I will try to repay that by giving them more playing time than they might have received at the Emirates.

Vanden Borre joins on loan

Young belgian right back Vanden Borre has joined Walcott & Denilson at St James Park for a year after a loan deal was agreed today. Clark said "He gives us more cover down the right side where we are lacking after the dearture of James Milner. I expect him to play right back but this may free up Geremi to play in midfield, should we need him there."

Newcastle fans have started a fanbase for you, how do you feel bout this after just taking over the club?

I'm honored really but I will be judged by my results and hopefully our results will put smiles on the faces of Newcastle fans eveywhere. If any fans deserve to start feeling good about their club it's them!

Mr Gildea is it true that after his tackle on Nasri earlier in the season, Joey Barton is recieving the silent treatment from Walcott and Denilson?

But, I'm Mr Gildea?!

Anyway,

~ Do you feel that the investment of Huntelaar, being almost your whole budget will be worthwhile come the end of the season?

~ Have the board given you a set target to reach else your time be cut short?

~ Do you feel that Theo Walcott will bring a little flair to a struggling team?

But, I'm Mr Gildea?!

Anyway,

~ Do you feel that the investment of Huntelaar, being almost your whole budget will be worthwhile come the end of the season?

~ Have the board given you a set target to reach else your time be cut short?

~ Do you feel that Theo Walcott will bring a little flair to a struggling team?

I have great confidence that Klaas-Jan will prove to be a quality signing for us in the long term. I'm not expecting too much from him immediately. He's young and coming into a different league and will need time to adjust. But I am trying to sign players that will help the club in the long run, not just players that give us instant success but then leave in 2 years for half what we paid for them. And as I said before, I'd rather sign one top quality players than 3 or 4 mediocre ones.

My own goal is to obtain a European spot by the end of the season. My own goals are generally even more ambitious than that of the board but that's a reflection on me, not them. I believe we will succeed. If we finish outside the top half I will offer my resignation at the end of the season because I will look at that as failure. I would imagine that if we consistently produce bad results, my job will be on the line just like any other manager but you'd have to ask the board about that.

Let's not carried away about Theo. He has great potential but he is only 18 and has minimal top flight experience. He is really here for cover and to give him some experience. Will he be the kind of player who can win games for us? We'll have to see.

Do you feel Denilson is good enough for your squad?

Yes I certainly feel he's good enough for the squad. Whether he's good enough to start will remain to be seen but we are pretty thin on the ground in central midfield so it's a good opportunity for someone like him to come in and make an impact. He has many strengths and I believe he's a player with a big future ahead of him.

you now have 3 big name strikers in Huntelaar, Martins and Owen how are you going to keep all 3 happy?

And do you see walcott as another striker or will you bee playing him out wide?

Well Mr Ridley, I expect to mainly use Theo as a forward but obviously his ability to play wide on the right was also attractive to us and I can see him filling in there for us too. I have had a long discussion with Arsene Wenger about where he feels his best position is so I'll take that into account also. As well as these 4 we also have Xisco who we hope to develop and Alan Smith can play in similar positions to Theo.

To be a successful team these days requires strength in depth. I believe my players will embrace the healthy competition in the squad and that will push them even harder to perform. We also have a desire to field strong, fit players in the Carling & FA Cups as a successful cup run would be big for this club. You need a bit of luck in cup competitions which you can't control but strength in depth is important too. Also, my players know the opportunity is always open to them to impress and if someone plays well they will be rewarded.

I think in the past Newcastle have had a strong team but not always a strong squad and that may have been the club's undoing at times.

it has always been felt that newcastles defence is the biggest weakness, how do you expect to turn this around?

I honestly feel the arrival of Coloccini is huge for us. I expect he and Steven Taylor to forge an impressive partnership in the center of defense but if that doesn't happen we have Cacapa & Edgar waiting in the wings. I expect Geremi to provide some useful experience back there and on the left side I think Enrique will impress a lot of people. We also have Beye, Vanden Borre and Bassong and I can see any of them being able to push their way into the first team too. I also feel we have one of the best goalies in the world in Shay Given.

What I think is going to be important is defending as a team. I will expect all the midfielders and forwards to press and work very hard when we don't have the ball. This is another reason I need a big squad. I expect every player to work his socks off every game and we are also working on each player's fitness. If I see a player being lazy on the pitch or in training, I'll assume he doesn't want to play in the next game and replace him with someone who does. It's all about creating a team atmosphere where we all, myself and my staff included, want to work hard for each other.

is dis real life football or ust in the game

Considering Walcott and Denilson played for Arsenal just last week im going to stick my neck out and make a totally random guess that this might just be occuring in the game. Then again with Newcastles problems they might be looking for managers on forums???

How do you feel Xisco will cope in the world phenomenon known as 'The Premier League'

Well he's facing some stiff competition now but he's working hard in training and has a positive attitude. He played at Deportivo with Coloccini and those two are good friends and are helping each other settle in.

Friendlies:

Barnsley (A) D 2-2

Brentford (H) W 5-0

Crystal Pal (H) W 3-1

Overall pretty pleased. I used 20 players per game and gave every player on my squad a run out. We're all looking forward to our trip to Blackburn to start the season off. It'll be a tough game but the boys are up for it.

So, who do you think will be your main 2 strikers, or will you be playin 3 upfront, and if so who will be your 1st choice strikers?

The initial plan is to play two strikers and Owen & Huntelaar will start against Blackburn. I'm very well aware of the huge talent of Oba and I'm sure he and my other strikers will be pushing them hard for a starting spot over the season.

Archived