buying an english version in a non-english speaking country (south korea)

I live in South Korea, but I used to live in the United States (English teacher).

I bought and downloaded WWSM 2008, but my hard drive crashed, and I can't download it now due to being out of region.

My two questions:

1) Is there any way to get WWSM 2008/FM 2008 in English, since I have already paid for it?

2) Short of having a copy sent from England or the US, is there any way I can purchase FM 2009/WWSM 2009 in English, rather than the Korean only version sold here?

Thanks!

Adam

I don't understand why there are regional limitations on the digital download. I mean, I can guess, but all those reasons sound foolish.

Get an American Proxy and download WWSM that way. I'm sure that is 'off limits', but what the hell. Better than recommending a google search of tpb.

Does the Korean version have other languages? I'd imagine it does...

the proxy is the best idea probably.

i can verify that the korean version ONLY has korean on it--no other languages.

Anyone from SI willing to help with this, or am i on my own?

If the game is region-limited, then I'm sure SI can't say anything to 'get you around it'. As such, the proxy idea is probably off-limits, like a no-cd patch, etc..

But maybe they can make a case-by-case exception to the regionalization and send you the file directly somehow? Since I've corrupted this thread by mentioning a possible 'no fly zone' proxy topic, perhaps you'd do well to email SI directly, or PM one of the active posters from SI on the boards.

Why not contact any family or friends who live in the US and get them to purchase the game for you if you send the money to them via a bank transfer and then they can post the game out to you. I dunno if it is much help but it's the best I can think of!

AFAIK, you can get the game in any language and add other languages to it using language packs, I have heard that some of the translations are a little dodgy but since the game is originally in English, shouldn't be an issue there, IIRC not long ago, someone asked for the language packs and I posted a link, try a search and if nothing comes back I will upload it again

• SI Staff

Have you tried getting in touch with the company you purchased the game from, and explained the situation to them to see if they can help you?

We (as in SI) don't sell any of our PC games directly, and WWSM was sold by a couple of digital download partners on PC (Boonty and another one whose name escapes me) and E-license on Mac if I recall correctly.

yes, email to them bounced! (it was boonty)

Contact somebody from those two websites i posted and see if they deliver to South Korea(i think they do). Order from them and you will receive an English copy %100. I do it every year.

Have you tried getting in touch with the company you purchased the game from, and explained the situation to them to see if they can help you?

We (as in SI) don't sell any of our PC games directly, and WWSM was sold by a couple of digital download partners on PC (Boonty and another one whose name escapes me) and E-license on Mac if I recall correctly.

Any chance of a region-free DD version of 2009? I wouldn't go for it myself (As i like to have an install on the other half's laptop for when we go away for the week) but it'd be a nice touch for people who only use one machine.

• SI Staff
yes, email to them bounced! (it was boonty)

http://www.boonty.net/contact-us/

Any chance of a region-free DD version of 2009? I wouldn't go for it myself (As i like to have an install on the other half's laptop for when we go away for the week) but it'd be a nice touch for people who only use one machine.

It's not us who control this, Roxor, it's how the different digital distributors work that defines it, hence the need for adamosity to talk to them directly.

no, but could you put English as a possible language in a Korean version?

Actually, another thought..if I buy the Korean version, is there a language file I can download to make the whole thing work in English?

--adam

aha! I think I've figured it out. Download the demo, buy the Korean version, and copy the English language version from the demo to FM 09 final. Will that work?

no, but could you put English as a possible language in a Korean version?

Actually, another thought..if I buy the Korean version, is there a language file I can download to make the whole thing work in English?

--adam

aha! I think I've figured it out. Download the demo, buy the Korean version, and copy the English language version from the demo to FM 09 final. Will that work?

Try it. I think it would.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this helps or not but I was in an identical situation as yourself about 2 years back. Was working as an English teacher when FM06 came out in Korea. However, I managed to get a copy (legit) from Shin-chon which had preferences -> English. Only issue was the patching. Are you sure your copy there doesn't have an option to change languages?

Archived