PPMs in 3D matche engine

I'm not expecting anyone from SI to answer this, but one can always hope: Have "visual" ppms like tries tricks, uses outside of foot, moves ball to l/r before dribble etc. make the transition from 2d to 3d? (Though I've always had the niggling doubt that most of the ppms were actually just window dressing and didn't actually do anything...)

hope so they have made it so you can tell a player to learn one so they are concentrating on them a bit more i guess. alot of PPM's you can see in the 2d engine like...

Dwells on ball, beats opponent repeatedly always see this one with ronaldo. and prefers to pass rather than shoot see these alot.

and stufflike lunges into tackles these players get booked a fair bit.

but im not too sure how often they will be shown in 3d due to it being their 1st one. suppose FML people might be able to give some indication?

Hmm... Regarding you latter comment, I've always believed that the PPM's have an effect on the players play the game. I'm pretty sure all of them are effective actually. I've noticed alot of them being put into practice on the pitch.

About the 3D engine... This is also one of my own concerns regarding the new feature. Whether or not there are sufficient animations to reflect the aspects of football. I too have wondered wether tricks (in general) and other advanced stuff like a player making an awkward shot, due to misjudging where the ball is (and blabla), are present. If these things actually are implemented and work well in the game, I can compromise very much with lack in graphical detail. That's second priority for me. But for me to use the 3D engine for anything besides looking at awesome goals, It'd have to be pretty realistic regarding animations and reactions. If a player "Swivels on the ball" he better tham swivel on the ball! Otherwise it's back to good ol' reliable (2D dots!)

I'd certainly like to see a more graphic representation of PPM's in the 3D ME.

I'm sort-of with the OP in his "niggling thought" that SOME PPM's were purely aesthetic.

Although many of them DO show up easily, like;

"Dives into tackles"

"Shoots with power"

"Places shots"

"Runs with ball through centre"

I'm unconvinced by others.

A Right/Left Midfielder with "Runs with ball down right/left" isn't much of a PPM when, considering he plays on the right/left, that's all he can do.

"Tries tricks" is another; I don't recall seeing ANY tricks by players with this one.

"Moves ball to whatever foot before dribble" is a bit nonsensical when all he is is a little blob.

"Dwells on ball" is something all defenders seem to do, whether they have that PPM or not.

It's a good point by the OP, and I'm looking forward to '09 to see these "In action" :thup:

A Right/Left Midfielder with "Runs with ball down right/left" isn't much of a PPM when, considering he plays on the right/left, that's all he can do. -Some wide players also drive towards the middle of an attack. This PPM makes him run down his designated flank both with or without the ball, whenever he can.

"Tries tricks" is another; I don't recall seeing ANY tricks by players with this one. - How could you be able to see them? They are small blobs, as you call them :) But this probably comes into effect once in a while. I know I've seen players with this PPM beat defenders when being closed down. I also suspect that they "Swivel on the ball" more often than others.

"Moves ball to whatever foot before dribble" is a bit nonsensical when all he is is a little blob. - Well, he isn't really a blob. He has feet. You can actually see which foot he knocks the ball forward with or dribbles with. Running down the right, with the "Moves ball to ledt foot before dribble attempt" is bad.

"Dwells on ball" is something all defenders seem to do, whether they have that PPM or not. - No they don't. Most defenders are technical oblivious, and might also lack quicker attacking mentalities, so therefore they will dwell on the ball both in the game and in the real world. Besides the "dwells on ball"-PPM can be found on other players too, f.ex. on DMC. It's a pain to see your DM just looking at the ball, being closed down to the result that he gives the ball away. -_- Horrible PPM!

Pay more attention!

Guest Vilosophe

The SI said ( in the official 3D thread ) that "Tries tricks" doesn't work in the Match Engine (also in the previous version) so we will not see it in 3D; and so for other PPMs that they didn't mention explicitly ( so the question is: "why did they put them in the game ?" and "so, what other features are only 'cosmetic' without any impact on the game?" )

You're expecting a bit too much detail from the 3D view.

If you can't zoom in enough to see players face then you almost certainly won't be able to see a player hit the ball with the outside of his foot. That's too much detail for the 3D view in FM09.

Hopefully you will see players dribble/hit the ball with the correct foot, i.e. a left winger crossing with his left foot and not his right or even nothing at all.

Spankie I disagree, you can see when a player from distance hits the ball with the outside of his foot or switches to a certain foot.

SI have said there will be no tricks in this version and tbh I believe that SI will be trying to get the core of football sorted out in the 3D rather then making the PPM's look good

Paul C said that not all PPMs are working. Even in 2D.

This is kinda deflating since I tend to look out for specific ppms in players for specific positions (i.e. Dictates Tempo in MC playmakers). It would be good to know which ppms are real and which are cosmetic so I can stop wasting my time. Also it would be good to have an official explanation of certain ppms (such as dives into tackles)

This is kinda deflating since I tend to look out for specific ppms in players for specific positions (i.e. Dictates Tempo in MC playmakers). It would be good to know which ppms are real and which are cosmetic so I can stop wasting my time. Also it would be good to have an official explanation of certain ppms (such as dives into tackles)

Yeah, I felt a bit ****ed when I heard this actually, as it was right in the middle of a PPM project I was doing. Now I sort of roll my eyes at some of the PPMs as 'fakers'. ;) I'd like to see them working, and more included!

How's it any easier? If some text is purely cosmetic, then it requires no coding because it has no function, it's basically a word that takes 2 seconds to type

Its easier as the researchers don't have to go through all of their players and add them in. The PPMs are in and ready for SI to add the code into the match engine.

Then maybe a PPM such as 'tries tricks' could have a different function other than that in the match engine.

Maybe players who try tricks are more likely to become fan favourites, or become other players favourite personnel, or even something such as boosting sales of shirts.

At least that way it isnt purely cosmetic.

Its easier as the researchers don't have to go through all of their players and add them in. The PPMs are in and ready for SI to add the code into the match engine.

That's fair enough, but if they currently have no function then they should at least be hidden from view until SI add them in to the engine

That's fair enough, but if they currently have no function then they should at least be hidden from view until SI add them in to the engine

But they'd probably have to be in the editor (as it's not a field like ethnicity that is completely invisible, it's a PPM) and then people would scream "Bug!" if they didn't appear when they were added.

But they'd probably have to be in the editor (as it's not a field like ethnicity that is completely invisible, it's a PPM) and then people would scream "Bug!" if they didn't appear when they were added.

Well, it could be like the "female" field in fm08: present, but uncheckable.

Archived