Doubling RAM memory

I have 2 gig of RAM on my PC and I could fit another 2 sticks of RAM onto my motherboard. If I added 2 sticks on to make 4 gig of RAM would I see a greater increase of speed on FM or not much at all? Or, does it boil down to how good the CPU is? I have an Intel Dual Core processor 6400 @ 2.13 GHz, which is slightly overclocked to 2.41GHz.

I run FM with 30 countries active and all leagues selected on a medium database. The game speed suits me although sometimes there is a few minutes wait when processing matches on the weekends. So would an increase in memory make much difference or should I not bother and save my pennies?

I have 4 GB of RAM and a slower processor than you and I'm running 80 leagues :p there is a little wait sometimes but that's what these forums or homework are for :D

So I think it would definitely improve your game speed.

EDIT: Just seen the post by Daniel Foster. I'm just guessing!

What OS are you using?

The leap from 512-->1GB is probably the largest for something like FM under XP or Vista. From 1-->2GB will I think still show noticeable improvements, as will 2-4GB, IF you are running other programs. If you keep other processes to a minimum then I'd bet you will not even notice a difference from 2-->4GB of RAM.

Your 30 countries, all leagues (say about 50 leagues?) seems like pushing it to me. I have similar processors, but 2 of them, and I don't like to run much over 30 leagues.

Thanks for the swift replies.

I'm using Windows XP. I certainly noticed a difference in game speed form 1 to 2 gb, but I think that was on my last PC which wasn't a dual core processor. My 30 countries brings up 80 leagues, and I must say I'm still happy enough with the speed of the game in 2014, so I think I'll save my pennies and stick with 2 gig. I don't want to spend about £40 or £50 on 2gig of memory not to see much difference. I can put up with the few minutes wait for processing!

I'd put 1 more gig in your system. More than 2 gig probably won't make a lot of difference. I hardly ever seem to use my 2 gigs, if ever. If you run a lot of programs then you may need more ram, but in your system with your processor 2 gb is enough and 4 gb probably won't do much. Your processor might not be able to handle what it needs to come close to actually using 4 gb. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Having an ICT practitioners national diploma and currently going for my full degree in uni, I've tested a lot of computer configurations

The fastest setup I find for gaming is using 32-bit XP with 2GB of RAM and at least a dual core CPU and obviously the latest graphics card. 4gb proved to show no noticeable benefits

I would only recommend 4gb to anyone who works in a field which requires the use of many intensive applications, such as 3DMAX etc, and anything over 4gb is needed for servers

My home setup uses XP and 2gb of DDR2 RAM and I've overclocked a Q6600 to 3.6ghz. This is despite having vista and another 8gb of RAM sat on my shelf in a box. It's just not needed at the moment

Having an ICT practitioners national diploma and currently going for my full degree in uni, I've tested a lot of computer configurations

The fastest setup I find for gaming is using 32-bit XP with 2GB of RAM and at least a dual core CPU and obviously the latest graphics card. 4gb proved to show no noticeable benefits

I would only recommend 4gb to anyone who works in a field which requires the use of many intensive applications, such as 3DMAX etc, and anything over 4gb is needed for servers

My home setup uses XP and 2gb of DDR2 RAM and I've overclocked a Q6600 to 3.6ghz. This is despite having vista and another 8gb of RAM sat on my shelf in a box. It's just not needed at the moment

I suggest you all listen to that man, as he clearly knows what he's talking about:thup: The amount of RAM only matters when most of it (or all of it) is being used. You need to use Vista with all it's bells and whistles and run quite a few tasks on it to utilize anything near 2 Gb. Unless your computer is actually utilizing that much RAM that it has to resort to virtual memory you won't see a difference between 2 and 4 Gb.

seen as im not using a duel proccesor am i able to add another 3.6 to have a duel totaling 7.2 Ghz?

as for the RAM seen as i have 4 slots on board' date=' is it better to have 4 even sticks of say 512 RAm rather than mix them up?[/quote']

4 evens, for certain, or just 2 1GB's, which allows you to later add more 1GB's if you feel you'd like to.

Archived