youngest retiring age?

Its not crazy, happens all the time irl when players give up a football career after being released from clubs

Also happens to alot of young released players in FM

thing is he was pretty promising, was still at a club and i was going to try and grab him in the pre-season :(

oh well, at least the board finished the improvements to my youth academy this year, should be getting some nice youths through :)

I hate this. I often offer the players who retire at that age a contract. In my current save, there was a swedish guy, good enough for League 1 / League 2 - and I'm in the Blue Square South. So surely, instead of retiring, he'd accept my contract offer, (which would be that of a lowly League 2 club) - and try to make a step up after being with me for a while. But no. For 18 months he rejected contract after contract, and then retired aged 19. :mad:

I hate this. I often offer the players who retire at that age a contract. In my current save, there was a swedish guy, good enough for League 1 / League 2 - and I'm in the Blue Square South. So surely, instead of retiring, he'd accept my contract offer, (which would be that of a lowly League 2 club) - and try to make a step up after being with me for a while. But no. For 18 months he rejected contract after contract, and then retired aged 19. :mad:

^whs.. its damned annoying, especially if youre managing in lower leagues that players refuse to sign for you and just retire. it just doesnt make any sense, and hopefully itll be sorted in 09...

As a lower league manager, I hate it when decent young players retire instead of accepting my contract.

However, I realize this is quite realistic and I hope that SI doesn't "fix it". The whole purpose of llm for me is the challenge of attracting players, building up a decent team, and finding a way to win against all odds and get them promoted up the leagues. I don't think its realistic for every player to be willing to take a 500%+ wage cut and drop 3 divisions just to remain in football. There are those that really love the game that will do that just to play, and in game this happens as well, but for the majority its just not going to happen. Lets face it, most of us managing in the lower leagues arn't offering salaries you could really live off of anyways. Many of these players probably have the education and skills to earn far more simply joining the normal workforce. So they hang up their boots and get a job, playing the odd game with friends or co-workers, and carry on with the rest of their lives.

Its annoying as a manager, but it adds to the realism and challenge of the game. I think SI have it balanced fairly well, and there are enough players who WILL play at lower league levels that are capable of doing the job.

Once I was managing India, and I had this great youth GK...i gave him full debut at 16-17 yrs....coz he was far better than my best first-teamer..that season he was released by his belgium club and he never found another club....next year he retired...sadly i never got a player as good as him for next five years by which time my best team was on its way out...

It is pretty realistic, and people have also got to think about RL factors that would come into play, such as relocating to play for a lower-league club. Let's face it, how many people would want to relocate possible a long way (or even to another country) for a modest wage in a very unglamorous and bruising league? It'd be a test even for those in love with the game, for those without that burning desire (especially if the prospects of getting out of the lower leagues isn't great), why bother?

On a related note I hate it when you get a message that some player has retired (more the case of an old player who has achieved something than a young player who hasn't) and you can't click on them to look back at their career stats or anything because they just vanish instantly. I'd rather get a message telling me that the player is going to retire tomorrow so that I can take a look at his final goals/assists stats or whatever.

I just signed a great 20 year old Romanian on a pre-contract free from another club, and h promptly retired. I hadn't checked, but I can only assume he was released after I did the pre-contract, and then retired as a result. But he was in my team for a week, and I tried to get him to reconsider, but to no avail.

Archived