Your FM08 careers...

Now that FM09 will be coming very soon, most of you should probably be winding down (or beginning:p) your FM08 career games. What are your favourite moments, moments you would want to forget, and weird moments?

Here are mine:

Favourite moments:

• taking TFC in 3 consecutive MLS Championships
  • taking League 2 side Carlisle to the Premiership in consecutive seasons
  • getting Motala AIF (Swedish team) from the Second Division Middle Gotaland to First Division Elite
  • finding players on a free and selling them for a large profit :D

Horrible moments:

• winless in my only season in Hong Kong
  • my goalkeeper scored an own goal in my Derby game...
  • all those 90th minute comebacks by the opposition...

Weird moments:

• had 2 attempted takeovers in my Hong Kong game which both failed
  • other clubs were always interested in my backup goalkeeper in my Wombles game

i think my top moment was seeing a player i built up from a 17 year old when playing with clyde who then joined me at my new club motherwell 3 years later and when i took over aston villa and he was wanted by 4 top european clubs he plucked to join me at relagation threatened villa and became my clubs top goal scorer over the next two seasons shooting us into uefa cup semis and fa cup winners :D :D

Great moment :D

Favourite moments:

• Winning the Dutch League and Cup with PSV Eindhoven (I know you will like that one rancer890 :D)
  • Dominating with Man United including winning the quadruple
  • Building a great Real Madrid team especially in defence (conceded 22 league goals in 76 games)
  • Winning a cup with Chimney Corner and getting them promoted
  • Getting Nigeria to the World Cup final
  • The several champions league comebacks I got with Man United including losing a quarter-final 1st leg 2-0 to Liverpool at Anfield and then scoring in the last minute at Old Trafford to win 2-0 and go on to win in extra time. Also coming back from 4-0 down against Inter in the 1st leg semi-final

Horrible moments:

• Last minute equaliser by Man United that denied me survival with Sunderland in a 3 game challenge
  • Drawing a game with Kedah on the last day of the season from 3-0 up at half-time where we had to win to win the league title (2 goals came in the last 2 minutes)

Weird moments:

• With Man United for several years we would beat Arsenal by about 5 or 6 goals at home and lose by the same margin away to them

Nice one jod, really like the PSV achievement :D, just don't ever play as Ajax :p

I didn't put my PSV achievement there, because my computer can't handle the save anymore :( (I think the club has won 8 consecutive titles so far )

8 consecutive titles. Well that makes my one insignificant. Although I did only spend 2 seasons there before moving on. Maybe I shouldn't have told you that. :p

Favourite moments:

• As Rangers beating Celtic 6-0 at Parkhead
  • Winning Portugese Double and getting to the semi's of the UEFA cup final as Maderia
  • Winning Premiership with Cardiff(signed most of my players from my old Maderia side)

Horrible moments:

• In first 6 months at Cardiff not being able to win away
  • As Rangers taking 3 years to get past the group stages of the CL

Weird moments:

• Habing signed Pavlychenko who became to scorer in Europe 3 seasons running at Rangers, sold Boyd and bought Sanchez to aid him up front. Sanchez is the top scorer so far in his current season despite having spent his last team rotting in the reserves. Only in January and hes scored 35 goals in all competitions.

Favorite moment: Finding the niche market on the forum board called FM Stories and participating actively in writing a story about my journey. It added a whole new wrinkle to all my decisions involving the team.

Horrible moment: Losing a game save where key decisions had been made and couldn't recover them. Replaying the same time frame again resulted in a different path because the in-game coding variables made a difference that couldn't be replicated.

Weird moments: Seeing the league table and in-game transfers be so uncannily accurate with the actual game in real life in regards to the English Leagues. My hats off to the researchers.

8 consecutive titles. Well that makes my one insignificant. Although I did only spend 2 seasons there before moving on. Maybe I shouldn't have told you that. :p

Well, before my save decided to die on me, Ajax were undefeated through 15 games and we were drawing against bad teams and we lost to Feyenoord and Utrecht. Also crashed out at the ECC :(

good moments

picking up a Portuguese team from "2Division B" and do the following:

1st year : get promoted to 2nd Division

2nd year : get promoted to 1st Division

3rd year : didn't win the league but got in the top 5 (remember this team came from "2nd divisionB" thats equal for a 3rd division, and has very low finances)

4th year : won the Portuguese league

5th year : won the league again and got to first knockout round in champions league in second in the group stage (the money i won would be essential)

6th year : sold a lot of overrated players for excellent prices and bought a super team with the money from the sells... with that team i got to the semi final in uefa champion league

7th year : FINALLY made it .... uefa champion league champion ....

it took me many years i know ... but the great problem was the finances, the club was in a shity low league... so i guess it was a good experience =)... of course it wanst the first game i did, i already knew what players to buy and to look for, in the low leagues and in the upper leagues, that was the easy part... but it was hard i admit it

EDIT

bad moments

lose a game when the referee gives +6 minutes to the game and the opposing team scores 2 goals in those 6 minutes >_<

having three players expelled and another two players injured in the same game on the first season, on the third game O_O that really sucked (since that i obviously changed my tactic a little bit :p)

Favourite moments:

* Taking Colchester from League 2 to Premiership (in 2030)

* Subsequently winning the champions league after coming back from 5 nil down in the first leg semi-final to Chelsea.

* Seeing a player i had nutured through my youth club win everything on offer for him (champions league, premier league, serie a, club world championship, asian cup, world cup, confederations cup, plus the english and italian cups.)

Horrible moments:

* Being fired from my first job for not getting any points and only one goal in 20 matches

* Forgetting to offer my star defender a new contract and seeing him join another premier league side and in the next season score 10 goals aginst my team.

Weird moments:

* Being fired in three board takeovers of particular clubs with them all bringing in frank lampard to replace me.

Favorite moment: Finding the niche market on the forum board called FM Stories and participating actively in writing a story about my journey. It added a whole new wrinkle to all my decisions involving the team.

Hear hear! Although it has slowed me down to the point that I have played only two seasons altogether on FM08. My high point would have to be:

Coming 2nd in the PL with Wigan, then champions the following years. Also won the FA Cup in season 1, runners up season 2, won the League Cup season 2 and quarter-finals of the Champions League where I was trounced by Barcelona.

Also, finding Alexis Sanchez, who has been an absolute beast in front of goals. His stats don't line up with his performances - he somehow pulls off ridiculous chips or long-range curlers even though his stats for finishing and long shots aren't that great. Incredible. I didn't use the GPTG forum to help me, so that was great.

Archived